All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Battle Damage - Unofficial Star Wars Hype Thread

tthurman

Don't know about others that have been playing this, but I'm seeing this at beta stage as a solid 7, could go either way a 1/2 point for me.

The graphics and attention to detail are amazing, but it's really a battlefield (DICE) game at heart, and suffers from some long standing problems IMO. I realize it's in beta, but BF2 stayed in beta for years, and was fixed after it was pretty much irrelevant. Just saying it was fixed long after the fact, not that it was really labelled as beta. BFBC2 was pretty cool, but hacked early on, (across the map snipers from hell), and while I really liked BF3, it was quickly pushed aside in favor of the yearly COD/Madden Football realease cycles and become BF4, which is when I stopped buying them.

I'm sure this will see some extended beta days, or at least I'd be surprised if it doesn't; so I'll hold out hope that it improves. It's still pretty cool, but with these games you either level up quick, or get pwned by those that do, and hang around forever once they have the hot spots in the maps memorized.

This is just my take on it, and as always, YMMV ;)

That said, back to Hoth :D

• Like 1

Take the skin off this, and you've got a pretty average BF game.

Add EA to the mix, and you get BF3 and 4 all over again.

Disappointing, what ever happened to just releasing a game, without the option to pay for perks, you know, keep the playing-field common among all players. No server browser for the PC version, that's just lazy! :angry:

Sad, so much potential ruined by greed! I see me considering this game when it shows up in a bundle.

Edited by tthurman
Beta extended for one day, whoop dee doo

Considering it's EA, they'll push it out ready or not, no way their missing that cash cow.

There is a small patch today, and I just got off a server where I actually got in the ATAT, ATST and Tie. I gotta admit, the walkers are pretty fun! I didn't have my mouse inverted, so flight was pretty much frustrating, but I did manage a pretty spectacular crash :P

I admit it, I played this game more than anything in recent history, and was playing it on a 39" display, which made the battles pretty immersive.

Hi, my name is Todd, and I'm a Star Wars addict :P

Pros:

Amazing graphics and sound effects

Playing the Battle of Hoth

Great soundtrack

AT-ST - Really cool experience operating this vehicle

Cons:

No voice communication

No Server browser

This is inexcusable for a 2015 release

Rebels don't have adequate vehicles to compete with the Empire arsenal

Huge open spaces result in sniper fest

Flight dynamics are bad, turning is far to restrictive.

AT-AT right / left aiming to restricted (some may argue this due the incredible power it possesses)

Just some glaring things I notice, I'm sure there's others I didn't notice, as well as those who will disagree with my opinion on this. It's not a bad game, but instead rates pretty average due to some questionable decisions.

It seems so close to being the ultimate Star Wars FPS, that it's really a shame they skipped some easily integrated key items. Perhaps they'll get enough negative feed back on their in game survey's to convince them to correct for this, but it's not likely. The survey questions were incredibly vague, and left no where to comment if you selected "none of the above" like I did. All they seemed concerned with was graphics and gameplay (which is a little vague for a game with this many diverse playing conditions, ground, ground vehicle, flight.

• Like 1

The proprietor of one of our local BBQ joints has rented the XD Cinema in town for the purposes of the Force Awakens premiere. It's going to be a combination of costume ball with catered BBQ and beverages followed by viewing the premier of the movie itself. It wasn't an advertised event, so you kinda had to know someone, but luckily for me I knew someone! BBQ and Star Wars!? Have I died and gone to heaven?

• Like 1

How cool is that, that's awesome dude! :win:

Well ... until you consider there's going to be a lot of people eating baked beans, and subsequently placed in close confined quarters with one another ... :blink:

Totally kidding, I'm really looking forward to it. Should be a blast!

Interesting, but not so surprising at the same time.

I'm just gonna say it, I thought the prequels were overall, lame! Not bad, just no way could they live up to what I was hoping to revisit from my childhood. I suspect these will be the same, and so I will be much less likely to leave the theater disappointed.

Here's hoping that I'm really wrong! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...