All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Battle Damage - Unofficial Star Wars Hype Thread

tthurman

Spoiler

Take out Snoke being killed, cut in half vs cut off hand, epic light saber dual, rearrange the order of things.... and wait a minute.

The Island out in the middle of nowhere, X-Wing in the ocean, Luke training, Rey goes into cave/hole that is strong with the dark side.  Dagobah anyone!

Planet covered in white, Rebel base with one big entrance, Defense turrets, trench, walkers.  Hoth 

There are some striking similarities to ESB, my wife even texted me this after seeing it while I was at my folks for the holidays.  

Spoiler

I've been pleasantly surprised how Rey has developed as a character, Ridley has done a fine job IMO.  I loved the seriousness in the air just before Luke tosses the saber over his shoulder.  I think Driver has done well too, but he just doesn't come across menacing enough to intimidate like Vader, or Snoke for that matter.

8 hours ago, tthurman said:
  Hide contents

I've been pleasantly surprised how Rey has developed as a character, Ridley has done a fine job IMO.  I loved the seriousness in the air just before Luke tosses the saber over his shoulder.  I think Driver has done well too, but he just doesn't come across menacing enough to intimidate like Vader, or Snoke for that matter.

Thank you for this.

Rey-designstyle-love-heart-m.png

Just saw it last weekend and was expecting it to be worse. I saw "Wonder" before TLJ and was expecting it to be the better movie of the two, but enjoyed both.

Spoiler

I didn't like:

1. The prog, like jar-jar binks and BB8 are the main series obligatory comic relief. It's was expected, I knew it was coming, but it's still too much for my liking. After he scared off the progs that were guilting him, I was rooting for chewy to tear into the flesh of the Prog he cooked. He's a carnivore that will tear the arms off someone for beating him at a game, but he becomes a vegetarian for some dopey eyed pygmy penguins? It's out of character. I get it, they're transforming him into a more lovable version (like Bart Simpson). They're emasculating a wookie, I imagine that's worse than winning at a game. I'd hate to see what he'd do to Disney if he wasn't under contract! On a corollary, I dislike how all the animals in the movie are anthropomorphized with human emotions and expressive eyes. Like they are on an intellectually level playing field with humanoid characters. It felt like a vegetarian agenda, kinda like the athiest agenda in the star trek franchise. Why is it syfi writers can't let divisive issues go without making a statement. They have to take a stand and alienate part of their audience. This is fiction, please make your stand elsewhere. I'm trying to escape reality! I don't want to be reminded of it.
  2. The Snoke cop out. No back story? Who was he was and how did he came to power? We get Nothing. It was like they couldn't come up with anything good, or we were focusing too intently on a character they didn't feel was important. It was awkward. He's the heavy hand behind the empire, but they just kill him off to avoid his backstory and solidify Ben's? There's unresolved tension there.
  3. Luke's sacrifice force projection. While cool, it was the most obvious plot in the movie (I knew they would kill Luke with an Obi-wan sacrifice). I'm just not happy it happened in this one instead of the third film, because there is now no one from the original cast to carry the series. Now the only way we'll see Luke is as a force apparition. Like Obi-wan in ESB and Yoda in TLJ.

What I did like:

1. The intentional shotgun scattering of a rebel transport flagship jumping to light-speed. Daaammnn! That's some serious sacrifice bunt!
  2. The light saber battle with Ben and Rey against the emperor's Red guard. Respect to those dudes, especially the one that got it in the eye!
  3. The salt lake setting felt different from any other environment seen in Star wars, but familiar to Hoth in ESB (which was the point).
  4. The idea of a force projection, until I realized it kills the user.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Han Solo (obviously) is my favorite Star Wars character.  But I'm not at all interested in this movie.  Yeah, I'll go watch it, but I'm really not feeling it.  I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but have high doubts.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I believe there being plans for 3 Solo movies.  As I recall, Disney already wrote the entire movie off as a complete loss like 6 months ago.  They were already assuming the movie would flop and be a complete bomb.  Why would they suggest 3 movies?  Honestly, I'd rather they not have killed everybody from Rogue One, and maybe built 3 stories around them.  Like being a behind the scenes story in what happened in the existing movies.  Say they helped locate a new base on Hoth, or helped them discover Han was being kept at Jabba's Palace, or helped bring in the details about the Death Star II.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Ah, dude could be he is just going to play Solo in three more flicks;  not Solo titles per say.

That said, I'm pretty sure this movie isn't going to be the bomb I once thought it was.  I'm actually looking forward to it now!

Some of these I go to see on the big screen and some not.  This one I may take a leap of faith on, however.

• 2 weeks later...

The audience seems unimpressed.

I'll watch it at some point even if it's Bluray.  Still, it begs the question that if it sucks or is subpar as so many seem to say, why would Disney release a turd origin movie on arguably Star Wars most iconic character? 

Some of the negative reviews I've read indicate that Solo almost plays a supporting actor in this.  WTF, it's a movie about Solo!

It will be interesting to see how the score looks at the end of the holiday weekend.

I don't want to spend money to go see it.  If I can talk my brother into paying for it (unlikely) or I can convince a girl to go see it with me (again unlikely), I'll go.  But otherwise, I just don't care.  I'll probably buy it when it's home released, watch it, then regret not seeing it in the theater.  Still, I dunno.

My personal review. 

Is this movie perfect?  No, but in no way is it the train wreck it has been so publicized to be.  

Coming in around the 7/10 mark seems about right to me.  It's a long movie with a decent story that all starts a little slow but comes together well in the end.   It obvious with this one that there are pretty much no boundaries in the Star Wars Universe.  I hope they make more of them because I think he will mature into the Solo character almost in a natural way as he ages.  They couldn't have picked anyone that would have checked all the boxes here, but I feel he played the part well.

They nailed Lando, no doubt about it!

In a nutshell, I liked it immensely more than TFA and TLJ, both of which I thought are cheap knock-off remakes with only slight story changes.   Aside from Rogue One, Solo is the most out of the box thinking this series has seen.

With this installment, my list looks like this:

Empire

Star Wars

Rouge

Return

Solo

Ep1  (thought it was the worst until I saw 2 and 3)

Ep3

Ep2

TFA and TLJ tied for last