All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Battle Damage - Unofficial Star Wars Hype Thread

tthurman

On 1/1/2017 at 10:01 PM, tthurman said:

I knew most of these, except for the Darth Vader chest writing, and the character partially named after Lucas' son.

On 1/1/2017 at 10:07 PM, tthurman said:

NEAT!  I had heard about that mini poster but never saw anything to confirm it.

16 hours ago, RIP-Felix said:

blah blah removed :)

Nice review.  I agree with much you said.  It definitely is a WAR movie, with a lot more violence than what existed in previous entries into the franchise.  I mean, 2 tests from the super laser, while only using 1 reactor for each, shows how devastating the weapon will ultimately become.  They wipe out entire cities without so much as a gasp from those who initiated it.  I will say though, that you owe it to yourself to read the Rogue One: Catalyst book.  I just finished it, and it leads right into the opening scenes of the movie, yet starts out when Lyra is pregnant with Jyn.  It goes deep into the relationship between Erso and Krennic (and Krennic and Tarkin), how they were friends and Krennic was essentially lying to him about what his research into kyber crystals was ultimately being used for.  It's a pretty good read, and helps you get more out of the Rogue One movie afterwards as you'll pick up a lot of the nuances that exist in the movie that you never realized were there before.  -- Also, I agree somewhat with your statement about the women.  I too feel that if another major female lead is next to come, it does appear to be an overcompensating saturation of female leads to help bring down the sexist female regime.  However, I love women, and seeing them in prominent roles is a nice refresher to the over testosterone exhibition of men in these kinds of movies.  But I'd hate it if going forward they feature more females just to make a point.  It needs to be even.  Jyn could have been a male character, and Cassian could have been female.  Or even the other characters, like the pilot or one of the "mercs" they picked up.  But I don't mind Jyn being female.  It was nice.  And she didn't really show any kind of feminine weakness, or get into any kind of sappy love story.  She was an excellent, strong character.  They all were.  My only gripe was re-using editing room alternate cuts from A New Hope to fill in some of the scenes during the aerial assault scenes.  I loved the movie.  Can't wait to get it home on BluRay!

You may want to put some of that in spoilers bud.

On 1/3/2017 at 8:45 AM, hansolo77 said:

... Also, I agree somewhat with your statement about the women.  I too feel that if another major female lead is next to come, it does appear to be an overcompensating saturation of female leads to help bring down the sexist female regime.  However, I love women, and seeing them in prominent roles is a nice refresher to the over testosterone exhibition of men in these kinds of movies.  But I'd hate it if going forward they feature more females just to make a point.  It needs to be even.  Jyn could have been a male character, and Cassian could have been female.  Or even the other characters, like the pilot or one of the "mercs" they picked up.  But I don't mind Jyn being female.  It was nice.  And she didn't really show any kind of feminine weakness, or get into any kind of sappy love story.  She was an excellent, strong character.  They all were.  ...

Instead of giving women more roles in movies, I'd rather they gave them equal pay! While it's true that the profession is 84% male, If you look at the top paid actors vs. actress, it's more revealing. Proactively typecasting more female leads for an even balance is the easy way to remove sexist claims, because it's cheaper than real change and allows PR executives to equivocate. "See the number of strong female roles has been increasing." 

I actually don't like that they female lead has to be strong and unshakable. I prefer the realism of vulnerability and carnal limitations, the balanced reliance on the physical strength of the men a female lead commands instead of being superior, callous, and indifferent - the "anything you can do, I can do better" song in film metaphor. i don't mind the occasional kick ass girl and I respect the gall of a writer and director that will allow female vulnerability to make it on screen. No, I don't mean the stereotypical female emotionalism, but the emotions anyone, male/female would feel in those circumstance. The difference is the way men/women are stereotypical supposed to react that ticks me off, Real people don't usually react in a predictable manner, but Hollywood characters almost always do. In typical Hollywood reaction, Men have been given more sensitive roles, and women have been given more gritty roles. I see this as more proaction, instead of allowing the fictitious human story to be told regardless of the sociopolitical real one. Not that science fiction souldn't have any political commentary or depict a utopian ideal to aspire too, but I get tired of it when overdone and flips stereotypical roles to make a point. Get over yourself, respect humanity, and allow the story to be told unhindered..

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, tthurman said:

A bit removed from the movie scene, but I ran across this fellow building a Star Wars themed den, and it's just completely amazing.  I wish he would have come back and posted a video or some more pictures, but still......you can see the attention to detail here.

This looks amazing.  I'd love to have a place of my own (like a house) that I can convert something into a Star Wars themed home theater.  Some of those guys go all out.  I'd love them to build me one.  The only thing I'm thinking when I look at these builds though is "That's a lot of work to LOSE in a fire.."

- I have a fear of losing everything to fires now that I've had it happen.

21 hours ago, Kustom Kid said:

The Last Jedi. Discuss.

Read this on C|net....

Think you know who the "last" Jedi is? But since "Jedi" is like "sheep" or "moose" in that it can be both singular and plural, there may not even be just one. Still, with 11 months to speculate, everything's on the table.

We had an interesting talk today at work about "The Last Jedi" and what kind of plot would be involved.  Here I was, saying stuff like "Rey dies from a back injury training to be a Jedi the only way Luke was trained, by riding on her back as she does flips".  Then I got serious and said "Luke dies, and Rey has to complete her training with Leia.  That's why Carrie Fisher's death (so sad) was such a critical blow to the following movies.  Now they'll have to rewrite the outline to show something like Luke coming back, kill Leia (maybe by accident but she dies either way), this traumatizes Luke to the Dark Side, then Rey becomes the Last Jedi by overpowering him.  But she doesn't kill him because, wait for it... Kylo Ren rushes in and blocks her final attack because Luke is still his Uncle.  This is how Kylo turns back to the good side.  Meanwhile, Finn is sitting in the Emporor's throne, hands clasped together to hide his grin as he says "good... GOOOD!!!"."  Then my buddy was like "woah dude, nah. Finn is the Last Jedi" and that was that.  :)  For the record, I made my story up, and I hope to God it's not really what happens because that's a really crappy storyline.

In all serious-ness though. Jedi can be both plural and singular.  So while everybody is all thinking "people gonna die?", it may infact be a signaling of a resurgence of Jedi, and that this is just the final spurt of "hope" in that galaxy.  On the other hand, we also joked about the Jedi going into super hiding for a thousand generations while the Sith take over.  Then one day, one of them says "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Sith... at last we will have peace!"

The honest-to-gosh truth though is that this title is simply a call back to the opening crawl from "The Force Awakens":

gallery-1485252365-star-wars-the-last-je

"Chin Scratching".  Yeah I had my doubts and threw it away, but ... when you think about it ... I dunno!  The problem with coming up with theories is that the Star Wars fan base can come up with KILLER ideas, and the TRUE story will be so bad you'll end up hating the movies afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Princess Leia movie?  Um, this wasn't even hinted at the last time I saw a future movie timeline.  But I've got to say, I don't know ANY of those girls.  So if it were up to me, I'd pick Carrie's own daughter for the role. 

Han Solo movie?  Excited to see what they come up with.  Perhaps the creation of the Han<->Chewbacca Life Debt?  Which, although never mentioned on screen, was a well known bit of Star Wars lore, and I'm pretty shocked they didn't do anything about it with him dying in Episode 8.  Oh sorry, spoilers, but if you haven't seen it yet, wtf are you waiting for already?  But yeah, Chewie was supposed to sacrifice himself before he would let Han come to death.  Would love to see how that all started.

Hey, it's not uncommon to grow a couple of chins with age.....cut him some slack :lol:

You missed some of the best parts if  you stopped there.

The "Addy's" where a big deal back in the days I was in commercial printing, apparently they still are.  Some work went into that!

• 3 weeks later...