All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Battle Damage - Unofficial Star Wars Hype Thread

tthurman

Finally, a trailer with a good soundtrack!  I'm getting a bit excited for this movie now.  Maybe it's because it's almost out, but I've been reading a canon book that just came out "Star Wars Rogue One: Catalyst".  It's sort of a prequel to this movie.  It takes place between Episode 3 and Rogue One, and shows the developing story of who the major characters are, and some revelations as to Kyber Crystals.  Not going to spoil anything, but if this book holds up, the movie is going to be awesome.  Also, I just realized last night that Forest Whitaker's character (Saw Gerrera) was in the Clone Wars animated show.  So I kinda wanna go back and watch those particular episodes again.  Just to get a feel for the kind of character he is.

There's also been some new announcements, but I don't remember where I saw them.  Apparently there are plans to end the Star Wars Rebels show after this season, and get another new show started (by the same people).  I don't recall it's time period exactly, but I do seem to think it was going to a combination of Rebels and Rogue One.  Also there was an announcement of some Young Yoda movies (yes plural, and I think it was slated for 3).  We already know about the Young Han one coming out in 2 years. 

Good time to be a Star Wars fan!

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, tthurman said:

I've tried to avoid the spoilers on this one, and can't wait to see how it's received by the general public.  At this point (from the spoiler free reviews) it sounds like the best movie since the originals!

So, that may just be the hype before the release. It's not like they show movies to the general public before releasing it to the general public. In other words, it's the so called "critics" who get paid to write reviews that get invited to the advanced premiers. If they get a rep for literally writing critical reviews, they wouldn't likely get invited next time.

I've been let down by the reviews more often than not. Enjoy the movie for what it is instead of what you hope it might be or what someone else says. Ultimately, only you can decide if you'll like it. Remember this?

Spoiler

Waiting 6 weeks in line? Passing up on $1500 offer for your ticket (or paying $1500 for a ticket)? How dumb does that sound now? Manage your expectations and don't get let down if it doesn't live up to the hype. R1 does look good though. I hope so.

10 hours ago, tthurman said:

can't wait to see how it's received by the general public

My point exactly, I don't buy the hype after the last four disappointments.  In fact, I expect this movie will be average, or average leaning toward the mediocre side just like the last four have been.

If any modern release ever even approaches the ROTJ quality, I'll be amazed!

Still it's fun to dream.

I was soooo let down with Force Awakens.  They made it all badass in the trailers, then about half way through I was like "wait a minute, I've seen this before".  Then by the end I was glad to leave.  I blame the writers though, not Abrams.  Although his trademark effects and camera work was all over the place.  I feel like if there was a different director, the movie still would have been 'meh' due to the writers basically plagiarizing Episode 4.  The only good parts were when Finn and Poe were flying the Tie Fighter, when Kylo was reaching for the saber and it flung into Rey's hands instead (queue epic Force Theme), and when Rey was giving the hand-off (no pun intended!) of the saber back to Luke.  All the rest was a bunch of BS.  Harrison and (for what it's worth) Mark still have it, but Carrie has lost it.  Should have killed her and not Han.

Rogue One will be either awesome or terrible.  The nice thing is, there's no grounds for this being done before.  An in-between-quel.  You know what happened before and after.  I can imagine Disney has a lot riding on this film.  Because if it bombs, they'll have to rethink their future movies plans with Young Han, Young Obi-wan, Young Yoda, etc.  I personally would like to see a 1000-generations ago prequel before Episode 1 dealing with Darth Revan and the Knights of the Old Republic. 

Here's a favorited MEME on Facebook.  I love Mark Hamill's reply!

15400568_10154755343347243_4109604537630

OK, so.. the movie's out.  Rogue One.  No Spoilers!  But what did you think?  I just got back from the first showing at my local theater.  OMG I freaking loved it.  I really had my doubts, believing this would be the end of Star Wars.  If people didn't go see it and like it, then Disney would no doubt cut out the Young Han/etc films, and stop making movies after Episode 9.  I gotta say, after seeing this movie though, there is no doubt it my mind that there is LOTS of good stuff out there to explore.  Even this movie sets up stories that exist in the expanded universe that are now being hinted to as being Canon.  Once people start seeing it, I'd love to talk shop with everybody about what things they saw and picked up on.  but I don't want to spoil anything.

Get out there and see it folks!  Tell Disney and Lucasfilm they need to keep making Star Wars movies!

• Like 1

Man.. listening to the soundtrack I pre-ordered from Amazon and just got today...  So emotional.  Loving it.  Makes me want to watch the movie again!  ARGH!!!!  If you get it, my favorite part so far is the last 2 minutes or so of Track 9. 

LOL  WHAT?!!!!  Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter?  Woah man, woah.  And the evidence with the stabbing lightsaber is awesome.. makes great sense.  I mean, she could be anybody. There's no reason to keep her within the existing familes.  I mean, a LONG SHOT would say she's maybe Padme's sisters's kid or something.  But there's no reason she can't be just a made up character.  Makes it interesting though to fantasize about her being related to the Skywalker's, Kenobi's, or Solo's.  But no mention of who Snoke is.  WTF... who is this guy?  Interestingly, they are eager to develop this character Thrawn more (he existed in the now legendified "Heir to the Empire" series (which I highly recommend)).  They already have him existing in the Rebels cartoon show, and there is a book being written to be published in February I believe.  What if.. nah couldn't be.  Thrawn becomes Snoke?  Or is Snoke maybe Darth Maul?????  The only visual we have of him is a couple of hazy holograms, hiding any horns, but that's a long shot too. lol

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Rogue One finally. I liked it, but it's a war movie so there's lots of action, not grotesque, but I wouldn't recommend it to my Mother (she thinks the other star wars movies are too violent, this is more of the same). I also saw Passengers and Liked it as well. I recommend them both. Each was worth the $8.50, IMO.

Non-Spoiler version:

Pros:

• Lots of panoramic/spacious scenes to give you the sense of scale on which the ships and battles take place. I enjoy getting the sense of how massive the ships are, it immerses you in the scene.
  • There were familiar characters, clothing, equipment and locations to remind you of the time period the movie takes place (just before "A New Hope"), complete with a few cameos. I'm sure there were Easter eggs I missed too, so it will be fun to try and spot them when I get the DVD.
  • The Death Star is AWESOME! Oh my the power. It's aptly named!!! Beautiful and terrifying at the same time.
  • The story is pretty much what you expect if you're familiar with the "A new Hope" but it's not trite or predictable beyond an enjoyable threshold. Every story will follow some general plot lines. Eg, character introduction/development, periods of setup, danger and suspense, the payoff evasion and regroup followed by the "bad thing" or "Twist" - something bad or a twist (which doesn't have to be bad, but usually faces the heroins with some challenge) has to happen when you let your guard down, it's Hollywood karma! These are the basics of all good stories anyway, so despite there being there, the story is good (Not great or unexpected, but adequate and satisfying). That's a pro, not a neutral.

Cons:

• Some characters felt thrown in simply to pay homage to "A New Hope" without needing to be there or otherwise adding to the story. While they do act as a good way to set the time period squarely in the time of Episodes IV, V, and VI I would have liked some of them to have a more functional role, besides "see this is a Star Wars movie". This is preference more than anything and I doubt anyone else would care.
  • Too much violence to recommend to a sensitive person. Then again, the story necessitates the violence. It's not the kind of story that can be told without the grit. This puts it in the teen and up category IMO. By today's standards though, it's not that bad.

Neutral:

• Another Female Heroin. I'm neither annoyed nor glad they chose another female lead in this movie. I'm indifferent to the gender of the these characters, but if taken too far, say another female lead in the third standalone movie.(we already know the second will be a male Lead - Han Solo), it could insinuate speculation of sexism. I find the choice for another female lead a bit trendy. Men are in a bit of a bashing period. Yes, society still has much to do to combat sexism against women. However, that's no excuse to vilify, stereotype, or perhaps in this case typecast exclude men as a gender, or denigrate masculinity in retribution. I actually lean toward the feminist argument in this debate, but as a Man I keenly feel the retort has damaged Male dignity and image. Men have lost esteem and poise in mainstream media as a result of overly punitive social commentary over admittedly serious injustice in the world. While I agree with the need for more inclusive reform, equal rights, pay, and procedures aimed at ensuring unbiased decisions, I don't agree this should include pro-action (except in rare cases). Stacking the scale to one side to counter act an imbalance is not the solution, it just increases the burden. Instead, IMO the Fulcrum (social norms) need to be moved to evenly distribute the weight (education, procedures, accountability). I'm not saying that's what's going on here, it's just a potential pitfall that I noticed and hope they skirt skillfully around. I want to escape reality and be entertained, not question their motives or be fed a moral in the same way Star Trek did. Star Wars takes place "a long time ago, in a Galaxy far, FAR away." Let's keep it that way. That's all I'm saying...

Overall, my first impression is that it's a solid stand alone movie that fits in well with the Star Wars cannon as told by the movies (I haven't read the books, so IDK about them)..