All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Battle Damage - Unofficial Star Wars Hype Thread

tthurman

No love for Daisy? :(  She's my future wife..  So I may have a date tomorrow to go see Solo (GASP!).  It's not really a date.  There's a girl that I've gotten to be pretty good friends with from work  We're 20 years apart, and she's just turned 17 recently..  But who cares?  I'm not really interested in a physical relationship with her.  I mean, don't get me wrong, that'd be cool and all, given that I'm still single and a virgin.  But honestly, I value her friendship too much and respect her.  I'm not looking for anything like that, and all the trouble that would come out of it.  She just lost her job due to attendance and tardiness.  We had been talking about Star Trek, Star Wars, video games, comic books, church, photography, life, etc, for months.  She's a very good match for me, closest I've had in a LONG time.  Whenever she saw me at work, she would rush over to give me hugs.  It was upsetting to hear of her getting fired, so I offered her a chance to hang out and see a movie we're both "meh" wanting to see.  It's more about forgetting work and hanging out away from people, than it is about hooking up.  She's a good girl, with good morals.  I'm just glad I'll have a chance to see her again one last time.  I've been pretty depressed lately too, so it'll be a nice pick me up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Got my copy of Solo in the mail and finally watched it last night.  Honestly?  I'm not sure why it got such bad reviews and was considered a huge financial failure.  It like it.  Granted, I didn't LOVE it like I did Rogue One.  And it's story was well paced and a true action adventure.  I actually prefer this movie over the complete lack of fan service The Last Jedi provided.  Solo gave us excitement and a bit of backstory to help further flesh out the character, while TLJ killed everybody important to the franchise.  I wish it got better reviews and made people wanting more, because I certainly did.  If you've not seen the movie, there's a HUGE cliffhanger left near the end that has you thinking "WHAT?"  There needs to be further explanation, and it can't be left the way it was.  Maybe expanded in a novel at least.  At least with TLJ, we know there's an Episode 9 coming that will (hopefully) solve our heartaches.

So there are now 10 Star Wars movies.  I would rank this one maybe 6/10.  Not bad.

It was considered a huge financial failure because it had to be filmed twice, basically!

It's a good flick, I saw it within weeks after opening and hope the series is continued.  IMO, Rogue One and Solo are the only movies Disney has put out that are worth watching!

I liked The Force Awakens, but felt that The Last Jedi was disjointed and derivative to the point of cliche from the prior. Now I can accept that Leia was able to put herself in a "force bubble" when she was blown into space IF there was somewhere to prove that she had to take a mandatory class, such as "Force Powers 101 for Parents of Future Dark Side Meglamaniacs" or similar. That was omitted from the details of the movie.

It'll be interesting to see what they do for Episode 9.  I can see Rey getting trained by Leia.  But I don't think we'll get to see a ghost Luke.  He shut out the Force until right at the end.  How is it somebody that does that is able to disappear into the Force?  Rey has no exposure to Yoda, so that probably won't happen either.  Now you also got Carrier Fisher no longer with us, so unless they got absolutely EVERYTHING they could ever possibly need out of her, they'll need to do a Rogue One CGI fix on re-shoots.  They really wrote themselves into a corner.  There's only so much Rey can get out of the books she saved.  Luke is out of the picture, Yoda is out, Leia probably won't be much help.  If I were the writers, I'd have her return to Jakku and find her parents there.  Plot twist that would make sense?  We learn her parents are Ezra and Sabine from "Rebels".  Now she can have a teacher (although Ezra would have to be old, like ObiWan was).  Or we can discover that Ahsoka is still alive in some kind of extreme trance (suspended animation?) on some secret planet, and she trains Rey.  As for Kylo, his inability to conquer Luke on his own terms drives him absolutely insane.  He goes out and discovers Palpatine's secret cloning facility and makes a new Palpatine.  Palpatine in turn destroys Kylo (I'd picture a snap of the finger and he just evaporates into dust or ashes).  Palpatine then goes out and finds Rey, tries to convert her to the Dark side but fails.  Then we learn Leia and Han had another child.....

Yup, fan theories are ALWAYS better than what will actually happen.  :)

On 6/1/2018 at 1:54 PM, tthurman said:

My personal review. 

Is this movie perfect?  No, but in no way is it the train wreck it has been so publicized to be.  

Coming in around the 7/10 mark seems about right to me.  It's a long movie with a decent story that all starts a little slow but comes together well in the end.   It obvious with this one that there are pretty much no boundaries in the Star Wars Universe.  I hope they make more of them because I think he will mature into the Solo character almost in a natural way as he ages.  They couldn't have picked anyone that would have checked all the boxes here, but I feel he played the part well.

They nailed Lando, no doubt about it!

In a nutshell, I liked it immensely more than TFA and TLJ, both of which I thought are cheap knock-off remakes with only slight story changes.   Aside from Rogue One, Solo is the most out of the box thinking this series has seen.

With this installment, my list looks like this:

Empire

Star Wars

Rouge

Return

Solo

Ep1  (thought it was the worst until I saw 2 and 3)

Ep3

Ep2

TFA and TLJ tied for last

I liked TFA and TLJ way better than ep1-2. They're on par with ep3 for me.

Rogue one is a war movie which caters to an older demographic, grown ups who remember the original star wars trilogy before the prequels. That formula is easier to nail than the main series, because they don't have to 'cater to children' (convert into merchandise buying star wars addicts). Disney sees star wars as they do all their products, as an entertainment platform to sell - sell movies, sell merchandise, sell licensing, sell...sell...sell until star wars has been thoroughly mined for all it's worth. It seems like that's the priority, fan expectations and progressing the art of cinematography are secondary and tertiary considerations.

I'm probably just getting cynical, though. Really they are just following the formula of the original trilogy too closely. It feels like a cash grab rather than a progression of the story.

What gets me, the same guy who wrote Episodes 4-6 also wrote Solo.  If you look at it as what it is, a back story not an origin story, it works.  Various aspects of Han's life have all existed only in the Expanded Universe, which the release of TV shows and Movies is continuously re-writing.  We knew Han was a cadet in the Imperial Academy, but that was pretty much it.  Now we know a little more, and that is good.  We knew Han rescued Chewie some time in their past, and that a friendship (life debt) was kindled that lasted the rest of their lives.  Now we know a little more, and that is good too.  We ALL knew Han made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, led to jokes and obscurity.  Now we know a little more, and that was an awesome scene in the movie.  We knew some time in the past Han and Lando met and that Lando somehow managed to lose the Falcon to him "fair and square".  Now we know a little more, and it was great!  What I liked was that all these things we thought we knew, we only knew parts of.  The movie fleshed him out and built his back story with so much more, he's almost a complete character now.  If they didn't shelf the whole thing, I could easily see them taking another shot at more of his backstory.  They can show what and why he has "special modifications" to the ship, introduce him to Jabba, have him run a few smuggling tasks before hitting the BIG ONE that he had to ditch the cargo from (resulting in Jabba wanting Greedo to kill him).  What I gotta know though is WTF with the ending?!

I don't know either, laying the groundwork for potential sequels I guess.  Perhaps they believe this element will peak interest for the remainder of the proposed trilogy if it happens.   it sure as hell was out of left field if you ask me!

Yeah I hate it when they make cliff hangers like that.  Unless they no FOR SURE they're planning on continuing the story with another movie.  I guess when the made it they thought they were, and Disney pulled the plug after...  As long as they do something with it, either in Movie, Comic, or Novel form, I'm ok with it.  I know they announced another season of Star Wars Rebels is in production, so maybe they'll tie it into that.

Speaking of Rebels.. I lost track of where I was in the last season, so the last few days I've been re-watching it.  OMG, awesome ending.  Dave Filoni has come up with some GREAT Force lore.  If you guys haven't watched it, or Clone Wars, I recommend it!

• 1 month later...