All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

VHS Recorder/DVD Recorder Help

uberpubert69

Today I went to the local GoodWill and I bought a VHS/DVD Recorder for $10. I nearly crapped. Then I took it home and found out it didn't work. I completely forgot to check if it worked at the store. But either case the specific recorder I have is like a $150-$200 device to buy it used.

Does anyone here know how to repair stuff like DVD players? I opened it up and think its these 2 little copper coils because they're the only things that look nasty/burnt.

I'd really like to get this thing working so I can replace my crappy old capture dongle.

Depending on the make/model, you may be able to find a repair manual online. Even if you DIY, it may cost as much as it would to buy a used one.

Thank you for the input Draco, this i the make and model http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=RDRVX521&LOC=3#/howtoTab

When I look for help on there it gives the basic "Make sure the plug is in the wall" crap.

It's such a shame because this thing is so nice... :(

What's the main problem Ubes? Some clues could help someone at least give you some starting points to research :)

For instance, does it switch on at all? Does it power up but you get no signal to TV/monitor? Does it all work fine until you try to record? Will it play a disc but refuses to capture? Will it play from recordings but not make any new recording?

I'm not familiar with the model, but mostly these devices are very similar to a PC when opened, and can often be repaired using cheap azz/spare PC parts

What's the main problem Ubes? Some clues could help someone at least give you some starting points to research :)

For instance, does it switch on at all? Does it power up but you get no signal to TV/monitor? Does it all work fine until you try to record? Will it play a disc but refuses to capture? Will it play from recordings but not make any new recording?

I'm not familiar with the model, but mostly these devices are very similar to a PC when opened, and can often be repaired using cheap azz/spare PC parts

The main problem is it doesn't power on at all. It shows no sign of receiving power nor does it turn on after pressing the power button. I've opened up and since have closed it. I still think its these copper coils that are all burnt looking. I could take it apart later and take a picture of what I'm talking about.

Might be the victim of a power spike or lightning strike. If that's the case, most of those components are not serviceable and likely require a new power or mainboard install. You might want to take it back to where you purchased it and see fi they will give you a refund.

• Like 1

Might be the victim of a power spike or lightning strike. If that's the case, most of those components are not serviceable and likely require a new power or mainboard install. You might want to take it back to where you purchased it and see fi they will give you a refund.

Yeah i won't patronize you by asking the obvious, so i agree. If there was a particularly nasty surge it is likely your mainboard is damaged beyond repair. In that case it was probably sold for the parts, hence the price. If that wasn't made clear to you at purchase you should be able to get your money back.

Yeah i won't patronize you by asking the obvious, so i agree. If there was a particularly nasty surge it is likely your mainboard is damaged beyond repair. In that case it was probably sold for the parts, hence the price. If that wasn't made clear to you at purchase you should be able to get your money back.

I don't know, that might not be the case everything else looks fine. None of the capacitors are bloated/leaking like they were fried. But I know nearly nothing on the subject...

I have experienced a direct tickle from a lightning strike through the phone line and through an internal modem to the mobo. No leaky or swollen capacitors along the way to the melted solder joints beneath the CPU. Need I mention that charred silicon wafer smells worse than burnt dog hair?

I have experienced a direct tickle from a lightning strike through the phone line and through an internal modem to the mobo. No leaky or swollen capacitors along the way to the melted solder joints beneath the CPU. Need I mention that charred silicon wafer smells worse than burnt dog hair?

Holy hell man lol gotta love that Florida weather. (I'm also from Fl) But damn that sucks... Looking at another one on ebay that works but the disc tray doesn't open. I bought my original Xbox in the same condition for like $15 and it just needed lube in the gears.

Need I mention that charred silicon wafer smells worse than burnt dog hair?

LOL how many of your dogs have you barbequed? ^_^ I get ya though - mainly coz i have stubble and i use cheap azz lighters :P

Looking at another one on ebay that works but the disc tray doesn't open.

In that case (assuming they are the exact same model) then it's an easy repair - just take the cd rom drive out of your existing, and put it in the new one (from ebay). As long as the disc drive works in the one you have it's just a matter of connecting a couple of belts. There might be more involved (ie you may need to transfer a pcb too, depending on model and drive) but you'd be unlucky to have them both ruined! ^_^

Disclaimer - unless the model you have is known for rom drive/pcb failures - might want to look into that too.

You could get $10 worth of fun messing about with the video drive motor alone? You could make a spinny thing.

Like attaching a couple of razors, to make a finger annihilator of death type jobbie? Or is that too dark?

Ok, some feathers to make a tickle 2000... still sinister if you think bout it :P

• Like 1

LOL how many of your dogs have you barbequed? ^_^ I get ya though - mainly coz i have stubble and i use cheap azz lighters :P

In that case (assuming they are the exact same model) then it's an easy repair - just take the cd rom drive out of your existing, and put it in the new one (from ebay). As long as the disc drive works in the one you have it's just a matter of connecting a couple of belts. There might be more involved (ie you may need to transfer a pcb too, depending on model and drive) but you'd be unlucky to have them both ruined! ^_^

Disclaimer - unless the model you have is known for rom drive/pcb failures - might want to look into that too.

It's not the same model, I looked into it and its a really poopy recorder. So I'm not going to worry about it.

:( what are you trying to record out of interest?

Tons of stuff. I have lots of VHS tapes that I'd like to backup, I'd like to do lets plays, record for game/movie reviews plus making video snaps for my Wii/Xbox section of GameEx I'm working on.

Well, can't help you out with the VHS stuff, but lately i've been using Action! - it's a software recorder, the same as Fraps basically but it uses almost zero resources! I dunno how but it works! The problem i have though is that not many programs can read the raw footage (Vegas, Premiere, and lightworks can but they demand massive, unreasonable (in my opinion) specs :( I've gotten around it using tried and tested methods that i've used for years, but it means your vids would need to be encoded a third time to use with anything else - which kinda suck seeing as YT now accepts 60FPS vids...

EDIT - if you want to try it:

http://actionrecorder.com/en

It really blows programs like Fraps out of the water, however, as i said it's hard to get a low lv program to read the RAW footage properly. Try it out, you'll see what i mean ;)

Well, can't help you out with the VHS stuff, but lately i've been using Action! - it's a software recorder, the same as Fraps basically but it uses almost zero resources! I dunno how but it works! The problem i have though is that not many programs can read the raw footage (Vegas, Premiere, and lightworks can but they demand massive, unreasonable (in my opinion) specs :( I've gotten around it using tried and tested methods that i've used for years, but it means your vids would need to be encoded a third time to use with anything else - which kinda suck seeing as YT now accepts 60FPS vids...

EDIT - if you want to try it:

http://actionrecorder.com/en

It really blows programs like Fraps out of the water, however, as i said it's hard to get a low lv program to read the RAW footage properly. Try it out, you'll see what i mean ;)

Have you tried recording something like Dolphin off of it or PCSX2? ( I know PCSX2 has a video recorder built in but its too slow for live recordings)

Have you tried recording something like Dolphin off of it or PCSX2? ( I know PCSX2 has a video recorder built in but its too slow for live recordings)

I haven't, but i have been recording a next gen unoptimized game in spades, with a low spec rig and the results are amazing! I can try a GC/PS2 capture if you want? It's no problem, and i would actually like to test myself anyways :D

• Like 1

I haven't, but i have been recording a next gen unoptimized game in spades, with a low spec rig and the results are amazing! I can try a GC/PS2 capture if you want? It's no problem, and i would actually like to test myself anyways :D

dooooooo eeetttttttt

EDIT: OMG I just tried it at first with the file size set to original (which happened to be 1080p fullscreen) and high quality and it worked better than Fraps but still poopy. Then I tried file size 480p and quality set to normal and it worked AMAZINGLY 60FPS solid! I've never thought I'd live to see the day I could emulate Wii and record it at a solid 60FPS at any resolution! Gonna show comparisons between the 2

• Like 1

dooooooo eeetttttttt

EDIT: OMG I just tried it at first with the file size set to original (which happened to be 1080p fullscreen) and high quality and it worked better than Fraps but still poopy. Then I tried file size 480p and quality set to normal and it worked AMAZINGLY 60FPS solid! I've never thought I'd live to see the day I could emulate Wii and record it at a solid 60FPS at any resolution! Gonna show comparisons between the 2

huh?! did you try it?? I dunno what happened! LOL? PS: if you did, and you a decent sized drive, record in RAW format, it's like the holy grail :P

• Like 1

dooooooo eeetttttttt

Look forward to seeing your results! It's a great program, right?! :)

• Like 1