All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Best USB Mame-cab Joystick/Trackball/Dial?

murve33

Sup GameEx. So, I haven't gotten around to building a cab yet (I'm moving soon), but I'd at least like to get a bad-ass control panel in the very near-future. I've been using a mishmash of keyboards, mice, controllers, and flight sticks for all of my gaming needs, and I think it's time I invest in something a little more arcade-appropriate.

The most likely contender is the X-Arcade Tankstick, since it has a ton of buttons, two joysticks, a trackball, is relatively affordable, and a few of the guys in our Highscore Competitions have and enjoy theirs. My only issue with purchasing this would be that I wouldn't have 2 dial controllers, or by the looks of it, any way to add any to it in the future.

My ideal controller would have at least 6 + 6 buttons (for fighting games), 2 joysticks, 1 trackball, 2 dials, be USB, and under $350. Any leads?

I personally use the Tankstick. There was also someone on Atari Age who modded the Tankstick and added spinners. I'll see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: here's the thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198308-x-arcade-mod-with-spinners/?p=2527386

In addition to the Tankstick I also use a USB hub and have the 2600-apter, Vision-dapter, RetroUSB NES adapter and a Dual PSX Adapter so I can use original controllers wherever possible. Here's the link to my build. The monitor and PC have been upgraded but the rest is still the same including all adapters: http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/66-cabinets-and-htpc-setups-running-gameex/?p=86880

• Like 1

Wow, that is an amazing build!

And nice link. I really didn't want to have to drill/saw any holes or make major modifications, but replacing one of the buttons with a spinner definitely sounds doable.

Edit: Oh dang, I would have to do some drilling or else the spinner would get in the way. Why would XGaming put 6 buttons on top and 2 on the bottom?

I'll still probably go with the Tankstick, but if there's still a better alternative I'm all ears (eyes).

Button layout on multi purpose controllers is a crap shoot at best IMO, and someone at X-Gaming likely had a really good reason for putting those two lower buttons there. Regardless, there is no substitute for the real thing right, so the reasoning for it may lead to some question as to the logic behind it, while in practice, there was actually some reason.

I ordered one of their controllers early on, and there are plenty out there that will tell you they are not quality controllers. They'll point to happ sticks and buttons, and then there's another group that doesn't like happ, so on and so on. I ended up cancelling my order for completely different reasons, so I can't really say, but with as many happy customers they have attained, they must be doing something right, and I don't think you will beat the price point.

ClassicGMR points out an excellent quaility they have, "mod-ability"! There's always room for improvement, and these provide a prebuilt canvas of sorts to do just that without having to build it all. Based on my experience, that alone will result it much more gaming time, and less agonizing over details you can't possibly predict until experience teaches you otherwise.

• Like 1

It also doesn't hurt knowing the TankStick goes on sale :)

Woah, definitely. I'd feel a lot better shelling out $170 vs. $200.

And nice thread; I did a search but never ran into that one. If only those single-player fightsticks had a spinner built-in. I'd just get two of those and a Kensington Trackball. Oh well. Tankstick it is (once it's on sale).

It really was a nice setup. My biggest problem was the screen size. It was only 23". When recroommasters came out with the 32" sit down cab I was one of the first to buy it. My wife as understanding as she is, when it comes to my gaming, makes me sell the old stuff for the new for money and space reasons. I wanted a bigger screen for console emulator purposes as well.

So I sold off the pieces on the BYOAC forums. Some of the people that purchased them are members here, I recognized some of the handles. When I make a new build I would always choose parts that I have never used before. I kinda miss the wow factor of the RGB buttons but I really like the look of chromalites that I have in my new cab now.

Z.