All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

I'm getting better and starting to feel more in the groove. I really do like this game.

I watched a youtube video to see how someone that is good plays and that definitely helped. I was going too fast. Slower is safer. :)

I changed the joystick deadzone setting in mame.ini to zero now.

I also changed out my uncomfortable card table chair that hurts after a bit for an older swivel tilt steelcase office chair that is much more comfortable.

STC

Sorry I haven't had a chance to place this. Reading people's responses about the controls is making me not want to even try. Thanks for continuing to submit scores and keep the competition active. This new score puts you in first place too! Way to go!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Here's my wheel and pedals control setups in screenshots.

I'm not entirely sure why I didn't need to make any tweaks to the GameEx joystick settings. Everything just worked in Mame when I hooked up the USB wheel and pedals to my computer. I'm guessing its because I had the -joy in the Mame command line.

The 2 biggest setbacks I had was that the default Mame deadzone is set at 30% which is way too much slop in the wheel before the car actually starts to turn. I've since changed the deadzone to 0% in Mame.ini. The 2nd problem I had was I couldn't set up the brake at all. I finally looked up the actual controls on Spy Hunter and found there isn't a brake on the game which I had completely forgotten. :wacko:

I put the paddle and pedal sensitivities to 1 but this was before I fixed the deadzone and at that time these didn't seem to make much difference. I had them at 200 or so also so I'm not sure what these 2 settings really do.

The wheel and pedals fit and clamped perfectly on my cabinet and tankstick. I did actually modify the RecRoomMasters cabinet when I first got it by extending out the platform so that there is more room for legs and that definitely helped for the pedals too.

post-8007-0-05086500-1432597720_thumb.jp

post-8007-0-08403400-1432597727_thumb.jp

post-8007-0-65267200-1432597738_thumb.jp

post-8007-0-84132400-1432597749_thumb.jp

post-8007-0-87049400-1432597760_thumb.jp

post-8007-0-62081700-1432597768_thumb.jp

post-8007-0-02995900-1432597787_thumb.jp

post-8007-0-86721900-1432597808_thumb.jp

post-8007-0-35159600-1432597825_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Here's my wheel and pedals control setups in screenshots.

I'm not entirely sure why I didn't need to make any tweaks to the GameEx joystick settings. Everything just worked in Mame when I hooked up the USB wheel and pedals to my computer. I'm guessing its because I had the -joy in the Mame command line.

The 2 biggest setbacks I had was that the default Mame deadzone is set at 30% which is way too much slop in the wheel before the car actually starts to turn. I've since changed the deadzone to 0% in Mame.ini. The 2nd problem I had was I couldn't set up the brake at all. I finally looked up the actual controls on Spy Hunter and found there isn't a brake on the game which I had completely forgotten. :wacko:

I put the paddle and pedal sensitivities to 1 but this was before I fixed the deadzone and at that time these didn't seem to make much difference. I had them at 200 or so also so I'm not sure what these 2 settings really do.

The wheel and pedals fit and clamped perfectly on my cabinet and tankstick. I did actually modify the RecRoomMasters cabinet when I first got it by extending out the platform so that there is more room for legs and that definitely helped for the pedals too.

Thank you garetmax for sharing your control setup :) I really appreciate the effort you took to share this with our HS community !!

I hope this will perhaps motivate other members to give this game another try B)

Nice man cave btw ^_^ !!

Control issues haven't been a problem here, I've just been playing it on MAME for years.

I switched to the Buffalo SNES USB Pad. It's perfectly useful for this game. L-R buttons for speed, 4 right buttons for weapons, start button for truck.

ExedExes - 142,140

Nice retro controller B) !! Must work very well when playing platform and racing games :)

...and a new challenge for Garetmax ;) Nice score Ex !

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

I'm thinking, with all the different controller layouts and peripherals that we all have, may be we should gather the links together and stick 'em in the first post with some sort of disclaimer? So far we have SNES pad, 360 pad, and an actual wheel/pedal setup advice. I feel this would be a good move seeing as the controls are so complex compared to the average MAME game :)

• Like 1

I'm thinking, with all the different controller layouts and peripherals that we all have, may be we should gather the links together and stick 'em in the first post with some sort of disclaimer? So far we have SNES pad, 360 pad, and an actual wheel/pedal setup advice. I feel this would be a good move seeing as the controls are so complex compared to the average MAME game :)

That's a great idea Darren :)

• Like 1

Thanks tthurman.

Ok, I've been practicing this past week and seem to had regressed badly and couldn't top my score or even get close to it. Yesterday and this morning I've been starting to get a rhythm going.

I'm going to play on and off today and hopefully will put up a big score to match Exed. I'm curious if Exed would be even better with a wheel/pedal combo like I've got or if his gamepad is better.

Thanks tthurman.

Ok, I've been practicing this past week and seem to had regressed badly and couldn't top my score or even get close to it. Yesterday and this morning I've been starting to get a rhythm going.

I'm going to play on and off today and hopefully will put up a big score to match Exed. I'm curious if Exed would be even better with a wheel/pedal combo like I've got or if his gamepad is better.

Hey Garetmax ! I'm sorry there are no more contestants for Spy Hunter - I guess it's the controls issue :huh:. Nevertheless...you and Ex have a nice battle going on !

Good luck trying to beat Ex's score today ! Please make sure to submit your score before the deadline to have a shot at winning this month's banner :)

I said I wouldn't post again, but I'm sooooo close to beating rtkii on the leaderboard, so here I am.

f65d6c7a3fa6f4943937e4bab44cb5ba.jpg

I present you guys our new # 7 at the GameEx General Leaderboard: Murve33 !!

Lol, congrats Murve ! You're pretty close to.... :huh:....damn, I'll have to improve my game and defend my 5th place ^_^

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

• Like 1

I played a lot today and finally got a pretty good score.

Interestingly, I assumed I was going to get another life at 150,000 but didn't get one. It looks like there are only extra lives past the timer level at 30,000, 60,000, 90,000, and 120,00. I'm not totally sure I got the 120,000 life but I think I did.

Here's my final score for this month.

STC

post-8007-0-31800200-1433125687_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I played a lot today and finally got a pretty good score.

Interestingly, I assumed I was going to get another life at 150,000 but didn't get one. It looks like there are only extra lives past the timer level at 30,000, 60,000, 90,000, and 120,00. I'm not totally sure I got the 120,000 life but I think I did.

Here's my final score for this month.

STC

We present you our #1 Spy Hunter !! spy-icon.gifspycar.png

Garetmax nailed this month's game with a spytastic score of 154,585 (proof)

Congratulations my friend, well done indeed!

Please don't quit playing this game. We look forward to what you will pull out of the bag in the near future, as well as our other hi-score members ;)

Your GOTM banner as always will be presented to you shortly :)

As for the rest of you, it ain't over yet! Although the GOTM has finished you can still compete for a position on this board. Our regular boards roll forever so bring out your car and shoot for that top spot!

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Rich ! Your score puts you in 4th spot :)

In case you've problems with the controls >> we've added a few links in the first post and the controls are also being discussed in detail at page 1 and 2. Good luck !

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• 1 year later...