All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Pinballx Displaying Playfield In Small Window on my Cab

bpjacobsen

Help!!! For some reason beyond logical explanation, the playfield for all of my tables have been displaying in a smaller size instead of full screen but only when running them via pinballx. The video prefs in the VP editors are all set to windowed full screen and they work perfectly fine when played in the editors. All 4 VP versions I am running (vpx, phys mod 5, 9.9.1, and 9.2) are configured correctly in pinballx with separate database files in separate folders. It was definitely working previously and now I can't resolve this for the life of me. Please someone, save me from this evil. lol (please let me know if any files or screenshots are needed and I will be glad to post them. I just hope this is fixable. I have already tried un-installing pinballx (latest version as of today) and re-installing/configuring. still displays the playfield on my cab about 50% of the normal size. I though pinballx was only a front end that ran the tables based on the settings in the editors? To my knowledge, the display, dmd, and backglass settings are all for the videos. but the fact that this only happens when I run them via pinballx, tells me there is something in pinballx messing this up. thanks in advance for making me a happy camper again. :o)

If you have to say "please let me know if any files are needed" then you should probably go ahead and provide them so we don't have to ask. ;)

Pinballx.ini and log.txt files are a good place to start.

See attached. I did open the ini file in notepad and my assumption is that the display parameters are for the videos. I am under the impression that the playfield etc parameters are pulled from VP editor based on the version being played which is based on the database in which the tables reside. Running 4 versions of VP as listed in my initial post. Anyway, let me know if you see anything odd in my files. Thanks!

PinballX.ini

log.txt

Are the second monitor dimensions listed in the .ini the same as the backglass monitor's default dimensions? if not, I would try changing that setting to match the monitor to see if that remedies your display issue.

Try using the setup wizard and navigate to the Display settings. Make sure that your screen settings match your actual displays. You may also look at how you have configured PinballX to display, whether in full screen, full screen windowed, or windowed mode.

Isn't the settings in the display section supposed to be for the front end? (videos?) that part works fine. It's when you play the tables. but I did try both full screen and windowed. no dice. Nothing is working. I'm really concerned this is permanently broken :( Are there registry entries from a pinballx install? Or is it all contained within the ini file?

not to be a wise guy but isn't this the site where pinballx was created? If so, I'm surprised I'm not getting more feedback or someone that really knows the software. If I"m on the wrong site, let me know. So I ran the following in command line and confirmed that the command pinballx apparently runs, ran my table normally, yet running from pinballx continues to fail me with the annoying little half sized table in the middle of the playfield.

vpinballx.exe /play -"C:\Pinball\Visual Pinball\Tables\hercules.vpx"

I will caution you on your tone and ask for your patience. Your issue is unique in that it hasn't been reported before and you may receive guidance from others than myself accordingly.

Since we have not received any similar reports of this nature, it is possible that the issue is a combination of your emulator settings and OS, and/or PinballX settings. I do not run the emulator so my input is a bit limited.

You will also need to keep in mind that most of us that are supporting this forum and frontend are hobbyists, including the author and are attempting to help you troubleshoot while managing our "real life " responsibilities.

• Like 1

I am not one to come right out and tell someone they are wrong, but try to gently guide them, time permitting, by rephrasing the question until things sink in.

Getting back on track for your display issues. I believe your understanding of how the frontend handles displays is incorrect. It does more than handle the display size of the videos or snaps to be displayed and an incorrect display setting in the frontend can and will impact how a table is displayed.

I have some reading "home work" for you so that you can go through your setup and apply, as much as possible, the contents of the PinballX Setup Guide. You will want to pay special attention to the display settings that I asked about previously. If you have a pincab setup with the primary display (playfield) setup vertically, then you would likely need to rotate that display 270 degrees and set it to 1080 (width) x 1920 (height). As I am not familiar with your emulator, my guess is that you need to setup the display of the playfield to the same dimensions.

Please let us know if this remedies your display issue or if there are any other issues you may run into.

• Like 1

I am not sure what the issue is but the only time I have seen strange things like this is if PinballX is set to start up with windows not using the default method like as a service or with task scheduler.

It could also be stuff bundled with your display drivers or other display related software installed.

Again, it has never been a reported issue and only I, the author can probably help and as Draco mentioned we all lead happy but sometimes busy lives.

Also, a screenshot would be helpful.

I apologize for my impatient tone. I guess I just want this working. It's a really exciting project and I sometimes lose patience when things don't go right but I realize most if not all of us went through some sort of pain to set everything up. thanks for your help. :o)

It's funny how a hobby like this can provide some of the most gratifying moments you'll ever experience, only to turn around and reward your hard work with total aggravation.

It has to the most frustrating thing about this hobby, but generally speaking, persistence wins out.

This is weird. somone mentioned about the vpauto.exe showing up in the log. I found it in the pinballx folder so I tried renaming it to vpauto_old.exe then moved it outside the folder. Then I ran a table via pinballx and it made no difference. The new log file still references vpauto.exe. How is that possible? where is the setting that they reference in the other forum? (AlsoLaunch=[appath]\vpauto.exe) I don't see that in the ini file. I'm starting to think this has to be what is causing this issue since it seems to run right with the command to run the table. And near the bottom, I see this in the log: "Main display running full screen windowed." I believe that is the setting in the editor which is labled as 'windowed/full screen'. Anyone know how I can prevent vpauto.exe from running so I can see if that resolves the issue? And thanks to all for your patience and perseverance while I continue to try and resolve what appears to be the first report incidence of this bizarre phenomenon.

Can you attach a copy of the updated log.txt file please? There may be some differences that, when compated to the original, might help us to suss out the issue. Also, a screen capture of the display issue may be of help as Tom has requested. Thanks!

Never got an answer to confirm, are you running this in a pincab with a 1920x1080 display as your playfield? If so, have you tried changing the display settings for this monitor to 1080x1920 as suggested?

are you referring to in the ini file? I just tried flip flopping the sizes but oddly, it changed nothing. Not even the videos. Otherwise, where should I be changing that? remember that the playfield works fine when played outside pinballx. thanks

You can edit the settings in the pinballx.ini file for [Display] Monitor 0 or use the Settings wizard to make the same changes. Are you also running Future Pinball? I noticed that it is showing as enabled. If so, how is it displaying in PinballX?

Do you turn off your pc, I enabled desktop mode the other day and when i disabled it again even though it was showing as disabled in the settings wizard it didn't revert to cabinet mode until i did a complete pc restart. Maybe worth trying a restart between settings.

dxdiaig looks fine. This is a pinballx issue for certain, because again this only happens when running tables via pinball x. So we can pretty much rule out it being a display driver or anything graphic card related. I'm still trying to figure out how or why vpauto would still show up in the log when it doesn't even exist in the pbx folder anymore and the one that was there was moved outside the folder and renamed. Makes no sense but I need to figure out how to prevent that from running so I can rule out whether or not that is causing this issue.

Basically Visual Pinball is not running full screen. I don't know why but that is what is happening. I don't think its a bug in PinballX. Its something particular to your setup and system. Again, what that is I don't know. You may end up having to reinstall windows and start over.

• Like 1

I do understand why you would think the issue is with vp but again, it runs perfectly normal outside of pinballx. If I open vp10, 9.9, 9.2, or phys mod 5 and run respective tables via the editors, they display correctly. It's only when running them via pinballx does this happen so I can't help but conclude it's got something to do with pinballx. But again, windows can be very strange and who knows. But re-installing windows is not an option. It's win 8.1 and I don't have an install CD. I do have a clone of it on another drive that I can boot to at will, so I'm going to see if the same thing happens when I run pinballx on the other drive.

@bpjacobsen - from your first post:

The video prefs in the VP editors are all set to windowed full screen

Try changing them to fullscreen and let's see what happens via PinballX. Also, did you have a chance to read through the setup documentation I pointed you towards a few posts ago to see if your Visual Pinball is setup close to the recommendations in that document?

Please provide updated pinballx.ini and log.txt files after making any changes. Thanks.