All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Best Dreamcast Emulator (primarily for graphics)?

stigzler

Couldn't think of where to post this - wonder if a topic of "Emulator Discussions" may be beneficial?

So - trying to decide between NullDC, Demul and MakaronEX...

Took some screenies on each - at settings that my test machine could handle for all 3 (i.e. equal load on PC resources for all 3 Emus). Below are the results.. I know this is a very rough rule of thumb, but I was surprised to find MakaronEX giving the nicest visuals (despite it no longer being developed and based on the old Makaron?).

Looks like there's no other video plugins for these emus. Anyone got any advice for best graphics performance?

GPU settings for each below screens.

DC_Comparedxcf.png

Demul (0582):
Res - 1280x800
Int res: 2x
Max Layers: 32
Shaders: 1-pass FXAA

NullDC (1.04, r150)
Res - 1280x800
AR - Stretch
Palleted Textures - Dynamic, Full
Sort: Per Triangle
Mod Voules: Normal and Clip
Z-Buffer: D24FS8
Texture cache: Delete old

MakaronEx (v4.1 New Gen)
Res - 1280x800
Render: High Resolution (Stretch)
Advanced:
Tri_linear selected
Anisotrophy @ 16
Shaders: Bloom+FXAA

For me, and trust me i don't like saying it but nullDC over the years has treated me best when it comes to compatibility - Rarely do games not run. However the graphical glitches, no matter the plugins are hard to solve and a lot of the time do detract from the experience.

Makaron, likewise, runs certain games extremely well, but it takes some effort and the games it is not optimized for run like kack.

Never tried Demul seriously TBH coz i decided a few years ago that DC emulation was way off ^_^

May be things have gotten better in the last 3 or so years, but i'm sceptical :wacko:

• Like 4

So are any of the console emulators fairly bug free, or is this the norm, or just a DC issue?

This is one thing that keeps me from bothering with them, as I just don't have the patience for this sort of, "hey cool its working, or wait....." Times like that make me just wish I'd kept my consoles.

Think as soon as you get dreamcast upwards, you have to accept there's gonna be a lot more tinkering with settings etc in order to get games up and running.

PCSX2 + Dolphin seem pretty reliable at native resolutions... however, you gotta tinker quite a bit to get up-scaling etc..

Think you also run into the magical world of per-game-settings more, normally requiring an intermediary launcher.

I would say though, once you do get 'em up and running, it's very satisfying and great to see those old games up-scaled - new lease of life.

And, it could always be worse.... could always be Taito Type X

:)

• Like 2

So are any of the console emulators fairly bug free, or is this the norm, or just a DC issue?

This is one thing that keeps me from bothering with them, as I just don't have the patience for this sort of, "hey cool its working, or wait....." Times like that make me just wish I'd kept my consoles.

Totally missed this ^_^

Anything pre-PS1/Saturn is solid these days - the only choice you really have to make is accuracy vs compatibility but in my honest opinion it's trivial at best. Just choose the one you get on with most and enjoy teh old consoles :)

As stigz hinted towards though, the trouble starts with disc based systems - they can become a real pain in the ass and will consume you if your end goal is to get a complete working playable set.

But hey, the whole point of this hobby is that you're never gonna get "perfect", but it's what you strive for. It's what keeps you coming back for more! Well at least for me it is ;)

• Like 2

Makaron, likewise, runs certain games extremely well, but it takes some effort and the games it is not optimized for run like kack.

Recently getting into emu comparison, and it's a shame there's no site comparing emu performance for different games. For example, it would be good to know which games Makaron runs well (as for SoulCalibur - it appears the bestest!) and which ones run like Kack.

Yet anther project for another day (or year at this rate) :)

Yeah. Overall, for Dreamcast, I'm getting a definite NullDC over Demul. However, the graphics seem a little better on Makaron than NullDC for Soul Calibur (see above - smoother, and less glitches - the green fog at end of playfield).

For Naomi, Demul looking better overall compared to Makaron (whilst latter is smoother - more glitches in Crazy Taxi):

Naomi_Comparedxcf.png

This could all get very silly....

(are their any other Naomi emulators? - anyone tried the nulldc naomi build?)

Yeah, that MakeronEx cap looks washed out, not to mention the hedge in the hood of that jeep :D

Thanks for the input stigz and Dazzle, looks I'll be safe If I want to crank up some old fav's, F-Zero, StarFox etc., from my SNES days.

Some day that is.......

Yeah, that MakeronEx cap looks washed out, not to mention the hedge in the hood of that jeep :D

Yeah i think stigz got lucky there because Makaron (not tried in 3 years) usually totally craps out on anything but fighting games. I think fighting games are supposed to be the focus of Makaron (don't quote me on that - it just runs them better overall). Not sure why - may be most of them used the same engine/techniques? But load something like Skies of Arcadia in Makaron and watch the nightmare unfold ^_^ Similarly, try run Marvel vs Capcom (or any similar in the series) in nullDC and you'll get the same. Indeed, it all gets very silly!

@stigz, not tried it but the nullDC devs have pretty much ditched DC by the looks of things and have been concentrating on Naomi for the last two years at least, so i would imagine it's pretty good.

@tthurman, go for it! You have no worries there. In the past the emu devs had particular problems with emulating the SNES' Mode 7 (which games like F-Zero and Starfox utilised, along with such gems as Pilot Wings and Lawn Mower Man <- remember that?! i loved that game!) but it since has been nailed and i think all the popular SNES emu's can run it now :)

• Like 1

That's helpful Daz, thanks - so - Makaron should be my first stop for DC fighting.

Emu's can be a bit of an egg hunt sometimes - with forks and alternative devs. Last stable nullDC Naomi on the project page is 2011. Seen some SVN builds @ V150 - you know about any newer, Daz?

One day I'll PLAY a game.

...When I'm 80. With arthritis and the reaction time of a salted slug. :)

• Draco1962 locked and unlocked this topic