All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Anyone else having problems with the new Daemon Tools Lite?

stigzler

I'm seeing a few posts around the changes from DTools Lite 4 to 5. I'm wondering about performance for others too. Mine is seeming really 'sticky' - sometimes it taking upto 30 second to mount or unmount an image. Wondering if anyone else having this problem? Video below (Sent to the balck hole that is DTLite support):

Not sure what OS you have but I wonder if anyone with Win 8+ has tried using the native .iso support within Windows Explorer instead of DT?

Looks like it may require running as a batch through Powershell per this post. Would be cool to be able to leverage native Windows support rather than 3rd party IMO.

Another drive player called Gizmo Drive for Win XP-7.

Yeah - on 8.1. I'm wondering whether increased VDrive support in Windows is behind the DTLite changes - guessing that the interface of the two may be causing some of the difficulties. Not sure about the range of images that can be mounted in Win8 though + then you have the problem of mounting on older Windows versions.

Third email sent to DTools today politely asking whether they had received the preceding two. Wonder if they'll bother to reply?

Well as far as using PowerShell is concerned, I was/am looking into this (I built the batch file creation script for debugging to add PS support) but I'm not sure if I want to pursue it without lots of testing first.

But it might be the way to go, I'm still put off by the major change in dtools.

Reply received today.

"Thanks for your email...blah blah..... Your query has been passed to our technical support team to see if they can recreate your error....in touch in due course."

That'll be his mate Dave, then.

:D

OK - mystery solved. Any SCSI drive operations have to have 30 seconds between them. So if you mount, then unmount 10 seconds later - you have to wait 20 more seconds. Feeling like good news as in final use this shouldn't be a problem. Just a PITA for development.

Tech support response:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for the reply.

We sincerely apologise for the delay. I have gotten the info today and willing to share with you.

Such emulating delays related only to SCSI devices (SPTD).
DT drives work fast and correct. Have you tried mount to DT?

As for SCSI, Due to strict requirements of optical device emulation, image protection and to ensure proper behavior of virtual device, we're forced to add extra 30 sec timeout between SPTD operations.
So, once you mount to SCSI and unmount at once, the unmount operation will be finished 30 sec left (in full). Or if you mount an image to SCSI device and unmount 20 sec later, the unmounting will be over 10 sec (30 sec gap).

We consider that it could make some inconvenience in everyday use, but it is strongly needed for mounting some types of optical images.

The new SPTD 2.0 driver (only for Windows 10) has different logic, and DT, SCSI devices mounting have same emulating rate.

To give the guy his due - his English is waaay better than my chinese!

• Like 2

I can certainly account for this while I'm doing my plugin investigation. That helps substantially!

Nope, but I think it probably has to do with how it detects and initializes drives now. I'm sure imitating an scsi drive is more complicated than a USB one considering how they work.

Relayed feelings on various forums about tge 5 update. Response:

We are considering to bring back the option as "quick mount to existing device" in minor version.

Currently, we are working at brand new product that combines best features of DAEMON Tools Pro, DAEMON Tools Ultra and DAEMON Tools Lite into one product, planned to be released late May. And we pretty sure the brand software will fix a lot of actual and known issues.

?... maybe they'll reintroduce that which was not broken in the first place...

• Like 1

God, they really have trashed Daemon Tools! Sometimes you unmount a drive and the image is unmounted, but randomly the drive doesn't disappear as usual. You try and unmount the empty drive and you get "A reboot is required for the changes to take effect"

A feckin reboot!!!??? What is it - 1985?

I'm getting the filthy smell of monetary capitalization on this one....

Very poor.

Yeah, I've (thankfully) not updated DaemonTools yet, but Alcohol 120% and Virtual Clone Drive are both seeming like pretty attractive options at this point. Thanks for pursuing this issue and keeping us informed Stigz!