All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Hperspin convert (newbie) - Video question

kortina

This is my first post (be nice!). Bit of background to how I arrived here:

I have used Hyperspin in my custom built cabinet for a few years, and decided to re-vamp it, it has always been a little slow and has far to many games. I have a Hyperspin and Emu-Movies membership.

I upgraded to MAME 0.160, and have started to use the HLSL filters, this makes the games look much more authentic on my 21" SONY CRT (1280x1024@85Hz).

HLSL has been the tipping point for Hyperspin, and introduced crazy LAG, making games like Mortal Kombat 2 have shudder and be unplayable. Taking Hyperspin out of the equation and using MAME directly has a perfectly smooth game.

I think that the flash based menu system of Hyperspin is just to taxing (even on a Core2Duo - 2.9Ghz!)

I have the set of MP4 videos from Emu-Movies, but I am not sure where to place them to get them to show up in GameEx. Could someone tell me the path?

Will the video's play in the Demo version (haven't paid for the app yet, still playing)?

I have also upgraded the Host OS to Win8.1, shouldn't be an issue right?

I think that I might stick with the Demo until the new GameEx-Evolution arrives, as I *assume* that it will be here soon, and I don't really want to pay twice.

Keep up the great work, GameEx is MUCH more simple to configure than the nightmare that is Hyperspin. I look forward to Evo as the teaser video looks like it will equal Hyperspin for the eye candy menus.

Hi there Kortina, and welcome to the forums!

We are always nice here ;) All that matters to us is that you get the best experience possible.

Your OS is absolutely fine, but understand that with all things PC, individual experiences may vary due to the nature of non-standardized hardware. 8.1 is a fine choice though and comes with no warning flags whatsoever :)

When it comes to your media (including vids), all that is asked of you is that you correctly specify the paths - that is all, and all will work with the unregistered version provided you set them up properly.

Specifically, for videos, all you need to do is make sure that the "Video Snap Path" in the Setup Wizard matches where you have them located. That's it. Easy peasy.

Enjoy GameEx and if you have any more concerns then please feel free to let us know.

• Like 2

Thanks DazzleHP.

I thought that I had tried it like that last night (it was very late).

I will give it another go, and put the full set of MP4's in there too.

Any recommendations on a good skin?

I did really like the visual aspect of Hyperspin, but everything else was a pain.

Or do I really need to wait for Evo?

I'm sure you're aware that GameEx and HS never really looked the same, they both use different approaches to get to the same goal.

However we do have many themes that can drastically change the look and feel of GameEx.

You can find a lot on the official Theme Download page, and also many more in the Media Projects forum.

My personal faves are:

Aeon Inspirat

Blue Neon LCD

GameExRoom V2 (a new version is being developed as we speak!)

Of course in case you are not aware, if not satisfied you can always make your own - the theme editor is included in the install ;)

>Windows Menu> All Programs> GameEx> Configuration> Theme Editor

• Like 1

Hey kortina, nice to have you posting in the forums!

Lots of good themes, but as Dazzle pointed out, a different animal compared to the HS visuals. Good to see you're running Emu-Movies, Circo and the contributing community over there add so much to the experience IMO. I'm not running your rez, but my current theme is Draco's "Smoked Glass", and another favorite is Ambient Occlusion. These work great on my 1080p display, but given the differences in our setups, YMMV.

Just curious as I've held on to my old 21" IBM P260 (Sony FD Trinitron variant), I love it, and can't help but think it would make at least a decent CRT display for retro gaming. Is your display a flat screen CRT? My main concern has always been that it doesn't have that classic CRT screen curve like the WG arcade monitors.