All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

KODI (XBMC) as Jukebox just got a whole lot easier...

RustyCardores

I have just installed KODI (formerly XBMC) as my Jukebox solution under PinballX, by adding it in the "other systems".

Previous threads have shown XBMC installations, however they were a little difficult to follow for most, as special actions were required to send XBMC to the backglass. Additional mods where also required to present something other than the WIndoze desktop on the table screen.

But with the later versions of Kodi, things aren't so hard.

For instance, there is now a screen option in the menu to send KODI to the backglass. One click and it's done! :)

There is also a menu option to blank other screens. This turns the playfield monitor to black. OK so nothing is happening there, but it's so much better than seeing the windoze destop. :)

If you do want something on the playfield, it is possible (still with some work) to display visualisations there. But for me, I went the easy way and created a Jukebox slide show in irfanview. I saved this as an exe and I get PBX to launch it for me when it launches KODI as a table and I use PBX's 'launch after' to execute a .bat that kills the slide show when exiting the table. (KODI lives on it's own 'other system', so the 'lunch after' is actually operating after the system close).

The slide show can contain as many images as you like or just the one. I went for 2 images. Both of the same Jukebox, but one with lights dull and the second with the lights bright. I set each image duration to .8 of a second and result is I have a Jukebox with flashing lights filling the table screen. ;)

Mapping keys is easy too, once the 'Key Mapping' add-on is installed in KODI. But whether you have enough buttons to be able to effectively navigate KODI will depend on your cab.

My locking plate has a joystick and 4 buttons for MAME gameplay, so I have easy operation from the cab. But if you are short of buttons, KODI allows heaps of options for access control from keyboards, game station remotes etc. Better still, just bang KODI's remote control app on your phone and you will have full functionality, so all you really need the cab to do is open and close KODI for you.

I hope this helps someone who is looking for a Jukebox solution.

Cheers, Rusty.

Oh btw... KODI is skinable and highly configurable. So it's very easy to make it suit your cab and look pretty. ;)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this thread is over a year old, but I'm curious if you have done any additional work on this topic?  Also curious if you could link to a video with your setup in action. I am looking at wanting to add a Jukebox to my cab as well.  Thanks.

Hi GP,  Kodi has been running fine and really there has been no need to change anything on the Jukebox side of things, as it does that well. Except that I have updated the Skin to include a 3rd topper screen, but the "operation" side of it is still the same.

I continue to add "add-ons" to Kodi from time to time however, so now it also does things like Digital Radio, NetFlix streaming, YouTube Music Video, NASA images, CatchUp TV etc and I am currently working on it playing retrogames from online ROM databases.  

I will shoot a new video for you later today, as it's 6am here at the moment and the wife might not be too happy with the Jukebox blasting ;)

• 3 weeks later...
do you have an updated guide on getting this to work with the new version of Kodi? Also, can you config this to work with RGB lights like dwjuke?

I'm not familiar with the lasted version of Kodi sorry, so I can't tell you if anything has changed. :(

As for leds ... mine are all ambient audio activated. The visualisation on the playfield picks the actual audio feed however. See https://vimeo.com/190683463

It can be linked to the leds however, as someone did it recently. Let me find the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Hey Rusty - I am finally to a point where I want to try loading Kodi as my Music jukebox. Can you provide a screen capture of how you have this setup under Other Systems? My setup will be a lot simpler with no light effects, will probably just run the app on the backglass with visualizations on the playfield. Another question - how is it working with your cab buttons?