All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Deadpool

tthurman

this character occupies a space in the comic-book universe that nobody else does

True dat!

Seems to me a lot of the super hero movies start lose something with each sequel, or perhaps it's just because of the massive influx of them here lately. I've found this one interesting since I first heard about it, and in all honesty, I'd never heard of Deadpool until nullPointer made me aware of him.

On yet another recent search for new trailers I called in my buddy in the office across the hall. As soon as he got in there he took one look and commented, "I'm tired of super hero movies", to which I said, this isn't your ordinary super hero movie, as I clicked play on the new red band trailer. Afterwards he agreed!

This one may stay under the radar a little because of the rating, but I'm convinced there is enough of us that'll go see it to make it a success. This is one I feel will most certainly benefit from a sequel, because if this one takes off in a "proof of concept (I told ya it would sell way)" the next one will have deeper pockets.

Let's hope :)

Ya know for all the guff that Rob Liefield gets these days, he really had a nice eye for character design in the 90s. Although it's certainly trendy to kick dirt on Liefield, I think it's a bit of revisionist history to discredit his contributions to the medium. I think both Deadpool and Cable are pretty amazing characters, and both of them were (basically) brought to life by Rob Liefield.

At any rate, I'm really looking forward to the Deadpool film and I hope that it does well. Is the general public ready for a hard-R superhero flick? Time will tell, but I sure hope so!

• 2 weeks later...

So it seems from an article I ran across, one that also included the above link, that Deadpool is expected to draw in 55 mil opening weekend. It's apparently pretty popular with the girls too ;) (oddly I got some flak when mentioned seeing this when it hits theaters the other day :o)

Here's an article that has a little character and background info for those interested. I found it surprising that the backstory is a recent development.

• 3 weeks later...

Caught a movie reviewer on the tube this morning (who repeatedly said, "don't take the kids to this) keep going on about how great this movie was. Lots of adult humor, and naturally a bit violent, but that Ryan Reynolds was made for the role, and that it was a perfect fit. 4.5 Stars, and it's not just him giving it good reviews, so it looks very promising!

Just got back from a packed house viewing!

Don't worry, no spoilers.......

I liked it, a lot, but I was caught off guard by the crowd. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned in other threads that I hate being sardine'd into the theater, but yet here I was!

They've been screaming snow for the past two days, and supposedly it had already been snowing for a few hours before we left :unsure: Mountain foothills, southerners and snow, they mix horriblyso nobody's gonna be at this movie right, WRONG! Geesh, this was already a tough sale to Vic, but she played along because after all, it is Valentines day, and I was taking her to see a love story.

It quickly started downhill though, and became painfully obvious that 26 degrees outside had left some numbskull with the idea that you don't need AC in a packed theater. This is almost as brilliant as one guy selling tickets, and Regal Cinema's latest brain fart of having that one guy sell you concessions (via your movie rewards card) at the ticket line...... :huh: Fortunately we got in while a few decent seats where still available, but naturally they were near the back at the highest point of the theater. /end rant

I seriously could not believe my eyes as people continued to pile into the theater, even after the lights dimmed large parties continued to arrive to find nothing but random single seats scattered about. I suspect this movie will do much better than projected!

The movie lived up to everything I expected, but if you take someone unfamiliar with Deadpool to this, be prepared for them not to "get it". I don't think this movie is five stars, as Fandango reviews indicate, but I'd put it a solid 3 3/4, gaining on a potential 4 (which coming from me is "go see it now" land).

Flip side, over dinner Vic gives it a 2, maybe 2 1/2 :o, what! "It's just a bunch of off color humor, foul language and violence", well duh :lol: In all fairness, she had little to no previous knowledge of Deadpool, not even the video games, and hey he isn't everyone's cup of tea.

As for me, I can't wait for the sequel!

Mild, yet potentially huge spoilers in these links.......

You read that right, don't dive in with the green pants on if you haven't seen the movie boys and girls. :lol:

You had to know some of this was going on behind the scenes, but fortunately it all worked out in the end!

Now that we've got solid proof of concept, and have dispensed with some of the presumed formalities, let's hope perhaps a little less gets left on the editing room floor next go around.

.....and some unrelated bonus material

• 3 months later...

Finally watched it - saved it for a Bank Holiday. 

Yeah - 'twas OK. I can't help feel a bit shortchanged by the oldest trick in the book - putting the best bits in the trailer. Some good bits in it. Liked the bartender dude - looks like him and Ryan Reynolds have a bit of a Sat NIght Live relationship thing going on - remind me of Adam McKay riffing.

I think they wimped out a little on this - they should have made it Certificate 18, given it to Rob Zombie + Adam McKay and cut down on the amount of back-story.

It felt over-padded as it with the story. I mean - yeah - a bit of context fills it out a bit, but it's the personality and anti-hero bit that's best, right?

Anywhos - yeah 7/10 as stands. Be interested to know how our resident Deadpool aficionado found it..

From what I understand, given the uncertainty with general public perception, they didn't have the largest of budgets to work with.  Given the success at the box office, I expect thy sequel will show a lot more "depth" where this one could not.  Still I liked it a lot while my wife sort of felt like you did.  She also had no idea what Deadpool was, but from my experience the movie captured "Deadpool" to the letter. 

I'm still iffy about it.  I mean, they sort of already did a backstory of Deadpool in X-Men Origins Wolverine.  Now they've completely re-wrote the backstory.  So which one is better?  The interesting thing is, Fox owns the rights to all things X-Men and Marvel hates them for it because they refuse to sell it back.  It's so bad, they also own Fantastic Four and Marvel has completely cut them out of their publications.  So even though that's the case, Marvel's take on Deadpool is now considered canon even though Fox's version was completely canon from the books themselves.  So which do you go with?  Honestly, I think I prefer Fox's take, but Marvel's presents a purpose and plot for the movie.  So I like it just the same.

The same can be said about Spider-Man (owned by Sony I believe) and Fantastic Four (another Fox franchise).  Since these companies were refusing to sell their properties back to Marvel/Disney, they've basically prevented Marvel from coming out with a canonical series of movies to coincide with their books.  I'm not sure, but I believe they broke a deal to get Spider-Man now since he's in Captain America: Civil War (haven't watched it yet).  But Fox is still holding onto Fantastic Four, trying to do a reboot (which completely flopped with absolute no surprise to any fan).  There really should be an effort to combine the FF and Avengers into a conflict like what happened in the Secret Wars event of the 80's (which also got a reboot/remake last summer).  Once Marvel finishes up their Infinity Gauntlet/Wars storyline, I'm eager to see what comes next, if anything.

I'm also very upset about their not being any more Hugh Jackman Wolverine movies coming.  HOWEVER... I did read somewhere that he still loves the character (it's just very hard for him physically) and that if a good story comes out of the "Old Man Logan" books currently in print, he'd definitely consider returning.  The "old" part is appealing because he wouldn't necessarily have to be in prime shape.  Hell they could do a proper "Death of Wolverine" rather than the garbage they printed last year.  Ok, so in the books he gets infected with a virus that disables his healing factor.  Through some effort it returns but only at a like 2% strength of what it was.  So all his enemies hunt him down, he makes one final stand, then gets himself dumped on by a big container of adamantium, which then obviously kills him.  What a poor way to go.

So yeah Deadpool.  Deadpool is a mutant.  He's not an Inhuman.  His intellectual property belongs to Marvel as far as I know, but if Fox wanted to pull technicalities they could sue Marvel for infringement because they own the rights to X-Men (which is, essentially, all mutants).  So which is better?  Fox's Wolverine Origins or Marvel's reboot on top of their already existing backstory?  Tough call.  I still vote for Fox's backstory, but loved the Deadpool movie as a whole if you forget about all the backstory and politics involved.

Ok I'm done rambling.

• 1 year later...