All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] High Scores within GameEx

thurmansevolution

Hello! :)

I know this has been asked several times, lol...I have looked through numerous posts, but still have yet to get this working.

How do you get High Scores showing within GameEx? Are there any clear instructions on using HiToText within a front end?

- I have compiled my own version of MAME (Mame 136 w/high score support)

- I enabled High Score Support in the Setup Wizard.

- Just to be sure, I have a highscore.dat file in the root folder of MAME. (I've even tried it with no highscore.dat file.

I've test read a ".hi" file via HiToText. (galaga.hi) HiToText read the file tested and displayed the scores in the command prompt window.

post-9885-0-80235500-1424998515_thumb.pn

I've also emptied the "hi" folder and got MAME to create a new ".hi" file...when checked though GameEx, still did not show.

Attached below is my GameEx.ini file. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as I am about to pull out the rest of my hair on this lol.

Thanks in advance!! :)

LC

GameEx.ini

Hello Thurmans !!!

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but yesterday I was doing some testing on the Hi-Score and have installed a version of MAME that supports this feature: MameuiFX.

I performed the test with the game Bubble Bobble and my score is saved correctly.

Only I had to activate the option "hiscore support" that you can find within the configuration frontend.

The truth is I do not know if besides this have to do anything else, but I can assure you my Hi-Score stored properly in games that I could try.

A greeting.

Hello EvilForces :-)

Thanks for the quick reply! Lol, I think we are talking about the same thing - having high scores displaying within the front end.

"Enable HiScore Support" is already set to "Yes" in the Setup Wizard.

I've noticed yesterday, and I don't know if this has anything to do with it - that when I open HiToText.exe:

-if I type in " -r btime " it would come back with a null pointer

- if I type in the full path to the .hi file ... " -r [full/path]/btime " it will display the high scores in the command prompt.

I'm not sure if GameEx is giving HiToText the full path to the hi folder...or even if that's the issue at all.

If you (or anyone who comes across this thread) have a few moments, can you please verify this for me by opening HiToText.exe and get it to read a .hi file without typing in the full path?

Hi Thurmans,

One noob question: Where do you see the hi-scores inside Gameex?

I'm talking to see my hi-score inside the game on the "top players" table on every game.

If i enter now to my bubble bobble game and i'm on the demo video, there is a moment i can see the top players table and can see all my hi-scores.

I don't know where to see the hi-score out games.

Is there a place inside Gameex to see this (not entering the game)? :wacko:

The hi-scores should be an option in the game's menu (Where "Play Game" and all other info about the game including artwork is) somewhere above "More Info".

Inside your GameEx folder, there is an exe and an XML file for HiToText, which is a program that reads .hi files located in your Mame folder and converts them to text, which GameEx integrates into the front end.

Lol, the hi-score function in Mame works great - and all my high scores are stored correctly. For some reason though, they are not showing up within the front end. I've done all the steps that I read about, and also double checked to see if HiToText read the .hi file correctly (HiToText only supports a number of games...I used btime for a "tester") and it read it correctly. When checking Burger Time in GameEx, the option for Hi-Scores isn't there.

After two years of trying to get this feature to work, I finally found out what was going on, and now it is working beautifully :D:cheers:

What the issue was, was that my mame folder contained a space - "MAME FINALE MOVE". When I tested HiToText, I had to use quotation marks on my path to the .hi file in order for HiToText to be able to read. If I didn't, it would pick up the last word before the space "\MAME" and "think" that it was the .hi file and would come back blank. Since I could not use quotations in the MAME path in Setup Wizard, GameEx was giving a path to HiToText without quotations, which would prevent high scores from displaying in GameEx.

I took the spaces out of "MAME FINALE MOVE" folder, to where it was "MAMEFINALEMOVE" and updated my paths within the Setup Wizard. Everything works like a charm now. Lol, I cannot believe after two years, the culprit was spaces in a folder name.

I'm going to celebrate tonight!! :D

And if anyone comes across a problem similar to mine, please feel free to link them to this post.

LC

• Like 4

After two years of trying to get this feature to work, I finally found out what was going on, and now it is working beautifully :D:cheers:

What the issue was, was that my mame folder contained a space - "MAME FINALE MOVE". When I tested HiToText, I had to use quotation marks on my path to the .hi file in order for HiToText to be able to read. If I didn't, it would pick up the last word before the space "\MAME" and "think" that it was the .hi file and would come back blank. Since I could not use quotations in the MAME path in Setup Wizard, GameEx was giving a path to HiToText without quotations, which would prevent high scores from displaying in GameEx.

I took the spaces out of "MAME FINALE MOVE" folder, to where it was "MAMEFINALEMOVE" and updated my paths within the Setup Wizard. Everything works like a charm now. Lol, I cannot believe after two years, the culprit was spaces in a folder name.

I'm going to celebrate tonight!! :D

And if anyone comes across a problem similar to mine, please feel free to link them to this post.

LC

Great you figured it out !

...Now that your hi-score support is working perfectly may I recommend to check our GameEx Hi-score Competition ;). It's very easy to join :) .... you're more than welcome to join our little corner of the GameEx community B)

• Like 3