All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Discussion on new features in 1.96/1.97

Tom Speirs

Great update thanks Tom,

Installed 1.97 tonight with no issues, decided to do the donkey work of adding the .xml tags to separate out the correct .exe version for the tables and noticed something a bit odd, when I exit a VP table with an alternate .exe selected it takes about twenty seconds rather and the couple of seconds it used to take. The table playfield display goes to black but the dmd display carries on as does the backglass. Previously I was using horseyhorsey's xpath solution for tagging the alternate .exe's so there's been no other changes? - any ideas (i.e. what basic error have I made this time) VP's parameter path in set up is the bog standard one.

Hello everyone. New to the forum, not new to PinballX. Great product! I am testing the alternateexe tag and while it works great, when I open the game manager and save anything, it erases the lines containing alternateexe tags. Is it possible that this is just a Game Manager issue that could be fixed? If not, do I have to stop using the game manager altogether?

Hello everyone. New to the forum, not new to PinballX. Great product! I am testing the alternateexe tag and while it works great, when I open the game manager and save anything, it erases the lines containing alternateexe tags. Is it possible that this is just a Game Manager issue that could be fixed? If not, do I have to stop using the game manager altogether?

As per the 1.96 release thread:

These new settings and features are for advanced users and are not currently in the game manager utility and need manual editing of the xml files.

Z

Interesting, I'm running Win7 x64, I fixed the issue eventually by using a killbackglass.exe as outlined in the installation section. However the tskill batch command would not work consistently, turns out this is a known issue on Win7/8/Server and you need to apply for hotfix KB2798040 to fix it. Hope this helps someone.

Thank you for the response. I guess I read it too quickly and didn't exactly grasp what it was saying. So, as a follow-up is there a chance it will be in the game manager soon? I have no problem editing the xml files myself, I'm just afraid I will forget and undo my progress by using the game manager out of habit.

loving the latest update with Pinball Fx2 support, thank you.

I am having a couple of small issues though. When i run steam in online mode after i play one game it doesn't seem to close steam properly and i get an error that an app is already running if i try to launch a second game.

I don't get this problem with steam in offline mode, but this creates another problem; when steam first launches i need to use the mouse to click "start in offline mode" from the prompt.

does anyone know a solution to either problem?

Great update thanks Tom,

Installed 1.97 tonight with no issues, decided to do the donkey work of adding the .xml tags to separate out the correct .exe version for the tables and noticed something a bit odd, when I exit a VP table with an alternate .exe selected it takes about twenty seconds rather and the couple of seconds it used to take. The table playfield display goes to black but the dmd display carries on as does the backglass. Previously I was using horseyhorsey's xpath solution for tagging the alternate .exe's so there's been no other changes? - any ideas (i.e. what basic error have I made this time) VP's parameter path in set up is the bog standard one.

---------------

Cods..... Thought I had fixed this but no it's persistent and it's returned after I did a bit of editing to my Vpinball.xml tonight. I've tried this on two setups now with the same result. I know that the feature is for advanced users and is under development so just throwing this out there to see if anyone has any thoughts or it helps development.

As mentioned above using the manual addition of the <AlternateExe>insert different Vpinball.exe here</AlternateExe> line in my table .xml file I can happily get PinballX to launch all my Vpinball tables with exactly the right version of Vpinball. The beauty of this is I only need to maintain one set of media folders for all the Vpinball media.

The fly in the ointment is all my tables open and close in 8 seconds, unless the AlternateExe tag is used in which case the tables using the non default Vpinball.exe program takes an additional 20 seconds to close. During this time the DMD locks up at the point of exit and the back glass holds on too. After the twenty second delay everything drops back to the normal point of table exit for the last 8 seconds which behaves normally. In short it looks like it mat be a lock up and time out.

I'm running a three screen cab, Win7 x64, i3-4150, 4gb Ram, GTX560 1Gb, SSD, Vpin Plunger and Kinect for head tracking in FP. Everything is running as administrator and the main programs are also set in the applicable XP or NT mode. Nothing is installed in the program files folder, no dll's are blocked and all my tables and b2s back glasses are named the same too. Finally I've been through my ini's with a fine toothcomb. I kill explorer and direct draw when PinballX runs and kick them into life again when I close the program.

All I can think of is my tables all have b2s animated backglasses and tomorrow I'll try again with those disabled.

Yep it's a function of the PinballX code, tried everything else today from building an .exe to slam all the Vpinball.exe's and B2SServer shut when the tables close to modding the scripts to add No Launch and the exit lines in the B2SServer document - all no go. Ran it through a debugger cycle in the end.

I will be patient until Tom may be able to get to this, the world will not end over a 20 second wait :-)

I posted this elsewhere, but should have posted it here I guess. I'm confused on how to setup the Football tables in Pinball FX, since they are under a submenu in the grid. How is that done? Thanks. Everything working as it should, great job TS

Hi, after I updated to last version, the game name doesn't appear in the bottom (under the wheel) anymore, but only "PinballX" (I unchecked already "Freeplay" etc).

What could be the problem?

Blanking out your text setting will only display PINBALLX. Normally it should look something like this:

[Text]

Line1=Select Table w/ Flippers

Line2=Press Start

Z

Is there a way to stop at selecting the number of players in Pinball FX2 with 1.97. If not that might be a good option, (I actually wouldn't mind just launching Pinball FX2 and picking a table there, but still have the PF and Backglass show in the main menu of pinballX.

hi all just update to new version and got a problem with pinball fx2. runs and plays fine but now then I press my exit button I have to press it twice to get back to my wheel. any help please thanks.

Andyco - please provide copies of your pinballx.in and log.txt files. You may be better served by opening a separate thread with the error and these needed files. Thanks!