All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Updating an emulator

cartisdm

I'm running Project64 v1.6 and I'd like to grab the latest release (v2.1.0.1). Sorry for the dumb question but my GameEx system is about 98% perfect and I don't want to screw anything up by being an idiot.

What is the recommended approach for updating emulators that are already installed?

I don't know that there's a necesarily recommended approach, but if it were me I would set up 2.1 as a completely separate emulator slot, even if it's pointing to the same ROM directory (which coincidentally is the way I still have it when I did this exact thing). Among other things this preserves a copy of your old emulator settings that you can refer back to when you configure the new version.

You may find that you want to keep Project64 1.6 around anyway. I will say that 2.1 is the most widely compatible version of Project64 yet, but this is an emulator that is a bit notorious for different game compatibility between different versions and for a long time 1.6 was the most compatible version. IIRC I was able to do away with version 1.7 when I updated, but I seem to tremember that I had to keep 1.6 around for certain games. It would be worthwhile to run some tests.

Also be aware that your plugin settings will be universal between the two versions (if you're using the same plugins), since Project64 stores it's plugin settings in the Windows registry. Same goes for any other emulators using those plugins (i.e. 1964)

In this particular case you're also going to hit a certain gotcha. The command line for PJ64 has been changed between version 1.6 and 2.1 in a small but significant way (for our purposes).

Project64 1.6 Command:

Project64.exe [ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]

Project64 2.1 Command:

Project64.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

Notice the difference? 1.6 required that you didn't use a double quoted ROM path where as 2.1 requires that you do.

Good luck dude. I predict that this will go off without a hitch.

• Like 3