All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

How to decompile plugin

cartisdm

I am not a developer by any means, but I've done some research and found a key update I'd like to make to my NRage Input plugin. I'm facing an issue where controllers that are not turned on when Project64 launches will be dropped from the input list indefinitely. This controller will remain dropped until you close Project64, turn on the controller, launch Project64, and reconfigure the controller. Such a pain!

There's a fix to this by adding gController->bConnected = true; to XInputController.cpp

result = XInputGetState( nControl, &state );  	gController->bConnected = result == ERROR_SUCCESS;	gController->bConnected = true; 	gController->nControl = nControl; 	 	TCHAR buffer[MAX_PATH];

I tried my hand at doing this myself but I couldn't get it to properly decompile (I was guessing at a lot of the options and settings in the decompiler I used). Can someone lend me a hand? I'd love to assist in the update (yes, I realize it's just adding one line of code)

I think we might be having an issue in terminology? A decompiler is a software tool that takes a compiled piece of software (like an executable) and attempts to extract source code from it ... normally with a high rate of failure. I think what you're wanting to do is to build NRage from available source code? I've never attempted to compile NRage from source (in truth after reading this post I had to 2x check to make sure Nrage was in fact an open source project).

So the downside is that I have no idea what the build chain for NRage looks like, nor what build tools might be necessary. Your best bet will probably be to report to their support forums (I know it says VBA-M but according to their support page that's where they call home), and ask where you can find instructions for building from source. I'm not sure what their forums are like, but hopefully some kind soul can point you in the right direction. Good luck!

• Like 1

You're right. I'm probably not using the correct terminology. I was thinking decompile because it's a DLL file and I thought that's what I needed to do.

In reality, I need to grab their source code (which is open source), make the change, then compile it myself. Does this make it any easier?

You're right. I'm probably not using the correct terminology. I was thinking decompile because it's a DLL file and I thought that's what I needed to do.

In reality, I need to grab their source code (which is open source), make the change, then compile it myself. Does this make it any easier?

Not from a GameEx point of view it doesn't - no. I think you are looking for support in a place where it realistically will not be given. I hate to say it but have you asked the guys at NRage? That to me would be my focus if i were in the same boat. Just saying :P

Not from a GameEx point of view it doesn't - no. I think you are looking for support in a place where it realistically will not be given. I hate to say it but have you asked the guys at NRage? That to me would be my focus if i were in the same boat. Just saying :P

I posted over at the Project64 forum. However, that place looks pretty dead. With 37 views and no replies, I'm pretty sure the only thing left over there is spammers and 13yr olds. I'll update here if it goes anywhere

As I suggested earlier you might want to try their official support forums. According to their support page they are co-located with the VBA-M folks right here. No guarantees that you'll get a response more promptly if you post there, but it is more likely your question will get to the right people. Good luck!

Boom! got what I needed over on emutalk.net. A gracious member compiled the plugin and gave me a quick description on how to do it myself next time:

Attached is a build, didn't test anything but should work. If you still want to do this yourself, you can download Visual C++ Express 2010 (or get something more full featured with Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition) open the MSVC10 solution switch the build target to 'Release' from 'Debug' at the top and then click on Build -> Build_Nrage_Input_V2

Then I had a giant brain fart and realized I had never enabled the latest Nrage plugin within Project64. I added the plugin to my Plugin directory but that was it! Once enabled, Nrages latest version fixes all my issues so it was really all a moot point. :rolleyes:

• Like 1