All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Media pack import problem

Mirkin

Hi

I'm running pinballx with a few systems. Physmod, VP9.21 VP9.9 etc

If I click import media pack it always finds them ok but then adds the table to the main VP section, no matter which system I want to add the table too. It means I have to add all the images manually each time to get them to stay on the correct system.

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

I'm not at home right now so can't upload the ini and txt files but just thought somebody might have a solution.

Cheers

Thanks for the help Carny.

I'm still having a little difficulty working out what to link to what.

I click import media pack and then select the zip file containing the files (this is in my downloads folder) and pinballX does the rest, except that as I said it always copies all files to the VP folder.

Should I copy the zip file someplace else first and then link to it somehow?

Here's an example:

You've set up an alternate VP executable under Other Systems using the Settings Wizard. There will be a new database for the system accessible in Game Manager. Are you saying that when you import media using Game Manager that it is not storing to the media folders associated with the new system but to the default Media/Visual Pinball folders?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I go to the system I want to add a table to, click import media pack and select the pack. It then adds the table to the default system with all media etc. going into the default system media folder.

To add a table to any other system except default I have to click add game then seach for the table and all the media files individually. Playfield, backglass etc.

I'm sure this can't be right.

Could it be that I have all the executables in the same VP folder?

No, that doesn't sound right. I can't really help. I don't use the auto imports. I generate and/or hunt down my own media and copy files over manually if necessary.

To keep the process from being too tedious, I do put all of the media for all of my various VP databases into the default Visual Pinball folder. I have to create folders for the alternate executables (ex. 'Visual Pinball Physmod5') but the underlying folders (Backglass Images, Table Images, etc.) are symbolic links that point to my default VP media folders. It doesn't seem like you should really have to do this, but if Game Manager has a bug or isn't yet equipped to fully manage alternate executables, you may have to setup these symbolic links. Far easier to do this than to go back through and manually cut and paste files to the right folder.

Yes it does seem a bit tedious.

I never really used the import media back option myself for a long time and when i finally found it this bug occured.

Now that VP10 is released all tables will need adding again and I have to go through the whole process once more as the tables are ported, and I didn't give all the files names that I can find easy lol.

Anyway thanks for you help.

• 9 months later...

I'm running pinballx with a few systems. Physmod, VP9.21 VP9.9 etc

If I click import media pack it always finds them ok but then adds the table to the main VP section, no matter which system I want to add the table too. It means I have to add all the images manually each time to get them to stay on the correct system.

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

You may wish to start by providing copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt (and probably your pinballx.xml file found under \pinballx\databse) files for us to review. Please click on the PinballX How to Ask for Help link in my sig for instructions on how to provide these files. Thank you.

Hello Draco,

Thanks for the response....I think this may be a bug and would be curious to hear if when you try these steps you see the same behavior.

1 Open Up the Games list manager

2. Left click on the select list drop down

3. Choose any version of Visual Pinball other than the main list

4.Import a media pack

On mine the media pack will import to the main list

Here are my attached pinballx.ini, pinballx.xml, log.txt

PinballX.ini

Visual Pinball.xml

Visual Pinball Physmod5.xml

Visual Pinball 10.xml

Visual Pinball DX7.xml

log.txt

I went ahead and merged the two topics rather than have two opened for the same issue. I do not use Visual Pinball (yet) so I cannot go based on experienced. From what I am seeing I do not believe that this is a bug in Game List Manager but I do believe it is a limitation of the application.

The only thing I can suggest has already been suggested by Carny Priest in this post. If anyone else has any suggestions or information to counter, please feel free to chime in.

• Like 1

Since Tom is an active user in the forums, I am sure that he is aware of this post. If you don't mind, please post a request in the PinballX Feature and Enhancement Requests thread for the changes you are recommending for the import feature of the Game List Manager.