All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX Enhancements/Features Requests

In the recent iterations you can have PinballX run VpinMame from the frontend. So when you are scrolling table to table the dmd does actual start the rom.

Ok, nice, still running an older version because most off the time spend in the ledstrips config, but going t check that out very soon, thanks for the info !

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I know there is a way to run tables that require a older version of visual pinball. But it involves making xml files and just seems like it's a hassle. Maybe have it be a option in the game manager to select a non default exe to run for a specific table that needs it? Just think this would be very helpful and so much easier. Thanks!

• Like 3

I would like to see an option for a way to display a simple text file (from the menu) for each table. It could contain a small blurb about the history of the table, how many produced etc. but primarily I would like to use it for "Hidden Treasures" like the flipper codes or instructions for Easter Eggs and Cows or cool facts about a tables artwork etc. It doesn't need to be fancy (similar to the information display on the menu) and in a seperate folder like "Table TXT" in the main media folder would make it easy to throw in a few relavent .txt files similar to "Apollo 13 (Sega 1995).txt" etc.

I consider my cabinet to be a representation of the history of pinball and since Easter Eggs and Cows are such an interesting part of that history, it would be awesome to have a way to integrate that into PinballX.

Thanks for your consideration.

AL

• 2 weeks later...

Ok title could appear stupid but I think it will be a good suggestion for enanchemen of quite perfect pinballx.

I've finished my cab... Everything's perfect,
back glass video take from db2s look like real back glass in pinballx wheel,
video in 1080p ... Beautiful,
dmd images during selection table ... Wow,
Flyers front back and inside ... A lot of good stuff!

instruction cards... Ah ... An horrible withe back with some write over... No good

I take a look around and I see there are a lot of sites (don't know if can paste the links) have a lot of instructions card with beautiful fonts and also good images. They are nice!
I tried with one of them:

Download a JPEG with 2 instruction cards, first one is only presentation and in the second there are instruction, quick edit of jpeg, rename with same table name .swf, and ... I could see only a page

Could be useful and very nice implement the instructions section (maybe like flyer with more pages) and a lot of people like me could work to made some artworks with instructions

Other enanchemen could be another menu... (Play table, instructions, flyer...) ... Table story !!!
A little section maybe read PDFs or swf, played on play field screen, in which there's write pinball story

What you say?!?

Edited by tthurman
Moved to PinballX Enhancements/Features Requests

Thanks carny, I will try.

Already tried with swf but no good: if I have 2 instruction cards I put second card just after first and I create a single file swf.

When I open pinballx and open instructions card I see the single file with two cards in backglass monitor and they are really little... Is impossible to read.

If I create two swf is perfect: the first card fill all the screen but no way to go to second card... I couldn't see

The story could be a very good hint... Every one could made the story of pinball in each language.

From the documentation

Instruction Cards need to be named the same as the table so for example:

Big Game (Stern 1980).swf <---First instruction card

Big Game (Stern 1980) 1.swf <---Second instruction card

Big Game (Stern 1980) 2.swf <---Third instruction card

etc. etc.

So, you want to have only a single card in each file. And each file is distinguished from the others through the numbering scheme described above. When you enter Instructions in the menu, you will see an image of a single card and you can cycle through the other cards for the table by clicking the keys/buttons assigned to left and right.

PinballX also supports png format in addition to swf.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have more than one version running but it's a pain. When I try and import a media pack into PBX the table always gets added it to the main VP list. If I want ot add the table to the physmod5 list for example I have to import each file separately. Is this a bug that's just happening to me or is there a need for new feature to have the choice of where to add the new table?

I also think we should have the option for multiple exe's on one system as jester82 suggested.

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Feature Request:

is it possible to add the feature of voting a table form within pinballx

by now the ranking has to be done in the XML-list. Maybe it could be something like a shortcut or just a parameter within the config file, that if enabled, shows the player an extra menue on table exit, asking him to rank the tabel. One could make that with the flipper buttons, right butten for up to 5 Stars, left button down to 0 Stars.

And maybe there could be some menueitem called highest rated tables or "Show table ranking" in the way of:

PinballX Mainmenue

+-- 70's tables

+-- 80's tables

+-- ...

+-- Show table Ranking

+--+-- 1 Star

+--+--+--some table

+--+--+--some other table

+--+--+--some other table

+--+-- 2 Stars

+--+--+--some table

and so on

• Like 2

One thing I'd like to see implemented is a sub-menu for tables so I could have 1 table displayed in the menu but then have the option to choose different versions of the same table without having multiples of the same table on my wheel. Option for nightmod, or older versions etc

That would be great

I'd like to have that too

• 2 weeks later...

Are you planning to add the alternate .exe option that's available in the xml code now to be handled by the Game Manager as well?

I'm using this option as it's a great tool to keep everything organized in one place (incl wheels, images, etc.).

However if I open an xml in the Game Manager and save it, the AlternateExe tags are gone, so I can't use the GM at all as it is now

• Like 3

Feature Request: Is it possible to make make the screensaver audio files loop and repeat? I have added full length song that is perfect for pinball and while it plays fine, I would like it to keep repeating itself while in attract mode.

Better still, is it possible to have multiple files in the screensaver audio folder and have PinballX play them one after the other (pref in a random order) while in attract mode? It would be awesome to have like a few hours worth of mp3 files in there and just let it play while the screen scrolls the tables. ;)

Cheers

Rusty

Feature Request: Remove the defined vertical size to the underlay image, allowing users to place taller images and utilise the space above the wheel itself.

For example: I have created a 3D looking wheel image and have used a heavy drop shadow under the wheel, while also semi shading the entire area under the wheel to the table bottom. This makes the wheel stand out more and is much more pleasing to the eye.

However I don't like how the wheel graphic ends abruptly on the top side where it meets the table (this is OK for 2D wheels, but 3D images look best with some kind of transition) and I would like to use a small shadow blend above the wheel.

I have created this and it looks great, but the size limit forces the image to be compressed down and this moves the wheel off the line of wheel image rotation.

Other uses of the top area could be for text, slogans, logos, graphics etc. In effect, if the underlay image was not vertically limited, it could be used for the full screen and negate the use of the overlay image in some cases.

It would also be good to understand the <alternateexe> switch too, if it uses the same parameters as the main program and why the programs evoked by the switch appear to pause for an additional 15-20 seconds on table exit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It would also be good to understand the <alternateexe> switch too, if it uses the same parameters as the main program and why the programs evoked by the switch appear to pause for an additional 15-20 seconds on table exit.

Thank you. I'm experiencing those delays too and was barking up a few wrong trees while looking for the cause.

I did use an different approach before - replacing the vpinball.exe with a script - and replaced it with the alternateexe method a while ago and never made the connection.

Maybe it is something simple like PinballX waiting for the wrong task to exit.

• Like 1

IMHO i think in Pinballx must a sorting by emulator... I.e. I have 4 wheel of medieval madness , vp, vp night mod, fp, Tpa... Is not beautiful to see and more important is difficult to understand for friends see pincab for first time

IMHO i think in Pinballx must a sorting by emulator... I.e. I have 4 wheel of medieval madness , vp, vp night mod, fp, Tpa... Is not beautiful to see and more important is difficult to understand for friends see pincab for first time

That or something like drawers would be nice. Press launch for starting the default version of MM, and an indicator that an menu with more versions of the same table is available by pressing, for instance, the start button.