All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Final] Yolympics [Mame]

wolfman24

Nice game, Dennis. Go for 200k now.

anyone interested in this

http://donkeykongforum.com/index.php?topic=1205.0

great job on kong gimme

Thank you guys ! 200K is my next goal...easier said than done :blink: but I'm motivated to beat the 200K barrier :)

Thanks for the link Wolf. I was already aware of this website but thanks anyway ;)

• Like 1

Thank you guys ! 200K is my next goal...easier said than done :blink: but I'm motivated to beat the 200K barrier :)

Thanks for the link Wolf. I was already aware of this website but thanks anyway ;)

i was actually linking for what was discussed on the thread :3

Donkey Kong - 194,000. I had 190k with THREE lives left. My personal best was clearly in my sights. Then, I died THREE times on the same L7 barrel board. So frustrating!

Asteroids (5 lives) - 29,910

I'm a 50k player on Asteroids, but here it took me quite a while to even get this score. :(

I hope everybody is actually using the correct ASTEROIDS (REV 4) rom and not just artificially limiting themselves to 5 lives using REV 2 or, even worse, REV 1. I bring this up because my romset did not contain REV 4, and I had to go out on the net to find it.

No question, there are more differences in REV 4 than just the 5-life limit. It is considerably harder than REV 2, most notably because the mini-UFO's are smarter. In REV 2, the mini-UFO's always fire directly at you, meaning that if you don't have a clear shot at one, you can still survive by letting him fly by, while you hide on the side of the screen opposite the direction the UFO is heading. Since the UFO's bullets only go part way across the screen, eventually they will not have enough range to hit you, and you're safe.

Not so in REV 4. The same range limitations apply, but the UFO is smart enough to aim the other way and wrap his shots around the screen to hit you. Needless to say, this pretty much doubles the difficulty; I had several games where I was struggling to even get the first free life at 10k, and it took me a while to figure out why.

post-26250-0-35554600-1423761349_thumb.jpost-26250-0-65159600-1423761349_thumb.j

• Like 1

UPDATE: With 5 minutes of research I was able to confirm what I suspected about Asteroids REV 4. Not only do the mini-UFO shots wrap around, but the little guy also fires at you immediately upon entering the screen, rather than waiting until he gets 1/6th of the way across the screen as in earlier versions.

From the MAME history.dat (rev. 1.41a):

The revision 1 version has an invulnerability glitch, which allows players to hide the ship in the upper corners of the screen (in the score) and be invulnerable to collisions.

Revision 1 also has a bug which affects thrusting. If the ship reaches full velocity moving down or left, and continues thrusting while rotating to the opposite direction, the ship will not slow down from the full velocity that has been reached in the original direction.

The Rev.2 version says '1979 Atari' at the bottom of the title screen, instead of the 'Asteroids by Atari' that was displayed in Rev.1. Also, the invulnerability glitch of Rev.1 is corrected.

The Rev 4 version :

1) Allow small saucer to use wrap-around feature,

2) Allow small saucer to fire immediately when

entering the playing area, and

3) Prevent the intermittent loss of 3rd initial on

10th highest score.

• Like 1

Hey, nice efforts out there, X! Yeah, I cannot believe how quickly we lost our position. I will try my best at the games I can make somewhat of an impact on....

contest is over congrats to team penis for finishing 1st

ranking team points

1 Penis 1685

2 Cosmic Triggers 1603

3 Starfox 1505

4 Weeaboos 1087

thank you everyone that played in this.

some stat work

streaming stats

total scores submitted

• Like 1

Thank you very much Wolfman for yet another great contest !! Looking forward to your next contest... B)

You're welcome anytime to use our Arena Forum to promote your contests. Thank you for having invited us for the Mame Olympics. It sure was a lot of fun !