All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] How can I rename the MAME roms, and they'll still work?

Lighty

For example, in GameEX, if I want to play After Burner 2, it will list it as "aburner2", which is the name of the zip file. If I rename the zip file to "After Burner 2", and it lists it under that name in the GameEX menu (which is what I'm really trying to do), the rom won't work. Is there any way to at least allow the MAME roms to be displayed with their proper game names, not the zip file names, in the GameEX menu for the MAME rom selection?

This comes up from time to time and I should update the FAQ with it. I will when I release the new gameex.com.

GamEx has its own specific support for MAME which people should use 99% of the time rather than set MAME up as an emulator.. This adds a lot of features and will automatically create the game lists with the correct names and does all the work.

Please look into the specific MAME support. If you need help we will be here.

Thanks.

Tom.

• Like 2

Yes, specifically, load the Setup Wizard> Custom> MAME Settings. Enter all the appropriate paths in that screen, load GameEx, go to MAME, hit Update List (it will be at the bottom of your MAME menu). As Tom said you will get much more functionality, titles will be correct and a few other bonuses you weren't expecting :)

• Like 1

Everything above, exactly!

(disclaimer: you very well already know this, but just in case)

If you have the "Extras" be sure to put them in the appropriate paths/folders as well.

This adds greatly to the experience when browsing your collection, and gives you lots of bonus material that makes everything just that much better.

If you haven't got snaps, be sure to check into those too over at emumovies, it's the icing on the cake! :)

I really appreciate the help everyone, however when I went to GameEX, then MAME, there was no "update list". I could be misunderstanding what I've read in the replies. I think I might need step by step instructions on this one, to get the specific mame support. Unfortunately I'm sometimes poor at following instructions, lol. Sorry about that. Also, do I need to re-name my roms first? Another problem I'm having is GameEX loads quickly just fine, when I first go into the program. But when I leave GameEX, my screen will be black for at least a full minute, with the music still in the background, THEN it exits to my desktop. If I try to end the program during the black screen, by using the Ctrl Alt Delete task manager (windows 7), it ends, but then my entire desktop (except for the taskbar) is black, with no icons.

I also strongly agree with DazzleHP. Unless you have some reason to believe that the names on your MAME roms are incorrect, do not change them. The problem you noted in your original post is the type of problem you can run into if you do. Something is probably off in your config. Given a little troubleshooting, this should be able to be resolved.

There are a few questions that have not been asked, so I will:

- What MAME are you using and what is the version?

- What version are the roms you are using?

- Does MAME work outside GameEx?

Also, now may also be a good time to suggest that you to post your GameEx.ini file. It can be found in the CONFIG folder in the GameEx folder.

As a side note, console rom file names are not nearly as consistent as MAME roms, so there may be times when you may want to rename those...

• Like 1

Regarding the black screen, I believe that this is related to the HIDE DESKTOP option in the DISPLAY SETTINGS. I suggest turning it off while you troubleshoot the MAME situation.

I suggest that you request help with the slow GameEx close/black screen issue in a separate thread.

I fixed the black screen issue. My version of MAME is 0.145, which is what was offered in the setup wizard. It seems to work in GameEX (with the roms under their zip file name), but mame won't work by itself, because I need to set the rom path directory in the "mame.ini" file. There is no "mame.ini." file in the folder downloaded by setup wizard. Basically, that's where I'm at. I found where Mame setup is in the setup wizard, and I'm guessing it has to do with that in some way, along with maybe using a different version of MAME to enable GameEX specific support? I'm sorry if I sound lost, lol And don't worry, Dazzle, I won't be renaming the MAME roms anytime soon ;-)

So your rom set is 0.145 as well?

0.145 is just offered in the setup wizard because that's what was current then, and it really makes no sense to update such minor things, as it is always changing.

Personally, I recommend you stay current with MAME, but this involves some work, and a good bit of effort if you keep everything up to date.

create an .ini yourself

Open a command prompt

Change to the directory you put mame in, i.e. C:\mame, since you'll most likely be greeted with your user directory, you will need to drop down to the root directory if you installed in "C" as in the example.

cd..

cd..

until you're there.

type mame -cc (there is a space between mame and -cc)

This will generate a mame.ini. in your mame directory.

Likely, you will need to change your folder view options to show known file extensions so you can see the .ini

• Like 1

I figured out how to properly list the roms in GameEX, and run mame through there. Now I just need to know how to change the settings, so every game fills my screen.

Well, the command prompt is flipping me the bird lol. I am indeed greeted by my user directory, but I forgot how to drop down a directory and how to get to the mame directory. I tried things like cd:\ and typing the directory in.

BEAUTIFUL! Worked like a charm! MAME now works both ways! My native resolution is indeed set to 1920X1080 in setup wizard. What I was also trying to do here, for example, is to play the Mortal Kombat arcade rom, with the picture covering the whole screen, with no black borders. MAME only let's me do 4:3 or Pixel Aspect, which doesn't occupy the whole screen. Same issue with Marvel Super Heroes. However, it looked like I can change that in the mame INI. Having a little trouble understanding it though. I messed around with some options, and the resolution stays at 1280x720, when I want it at 1920x1080. I think the MAME menu itself is in 1080, but then the rom goes over to 720. However, I figured out how to switch from Direct3D to DirectDraw, and DirectDraw gave me 1920x1080. Now I'm trying to figure out how to add a smooth filter, since the pixels are slightly grainy. Direct3D was nice and smooth, but wouldn't go past 720 res. If I cant have both smoothness, and full 1080, I guess it is what it is, but I'll keep messing with the INI and see if I can figure it out. Thanks to all of you for your help so far! You've been VERY informative and supportive!

While you can accomplish what you are looking to do, it will blow the aspect ratio all to pieces, Since this is something I don't do, I won't comment, but while I sure you can customize your resolution on an individual game basis, all your going to be doing is stretching and distorting the image on a 16 x 9 display. MAME is retaining the aspect ratio within your display, hence the bars.

<edit> If you happen to be playing on a large display like I do on my LCD TV, then be sure you're not getting over or under scan, On Samsung models for instance there is a "P" button on the remote that you can press to toggle through the various ratio's. Basically make sure you're get 1:1 ratio, or "Just Scan" on some TV's.

Edited by tthurman

Okay. Now I'm having more problems. The list in the GameEX Mame menu is listing some roms I don't have and not listing some roms I do have. And my rom path in setup wizard is correct.

This is likely due to the combination of the following settings (all found on the MAME Settings screen)

• Only Working Games
  • Allow Imperfect Games
    Only list MAME games where the driver is known to be fully working. In addition AllowImperfect allows a driver status of IMPERFECT to pass as working. In newer versions of MAME, games such as Galaga have a Driver Status as IMPERFECT although run very well. Set AllowImperfect to True to allow these games not to be filtered when OnlyWorking is set to True.
  • Verify ROMS
    The Verify ROMs setting will trigger the -verifyroms command to be run against your MAME executable when GameEx is building your game list. If a game isn't confirmed as valid by MAME that game will be excluded from your game list.
  • Only Existing Roms
    Only list MAME games that you have on your hard disk rom directory.

As always remember to rebuild your MAME list any time you alter list settings in the Setup Wizard.

If you continue to have issues please do upload a copy of your GamEx.ini as well as a copy of your log, so we can investigate your specific settings (see here for instructions). Good luck man!

• Like 1

Well, after lots of pain-in-the-ass tweaking, I finally got everything up and running in MAME, the way I wanted it. Now all I have to do is look around for the missing files inside some roms. Thanks for your support, everyone!

Okay. Now I'm pissed. More problems. When I run MAME by itself, everything works fine. But if I run it through GameEX with its own MAME support, the sound is skippy. Not sure if the frames are skipping along with it. It does this for every rom, and every rom worked fine through MAME by itself.

UPDATE: I turned on auto frame skip in the INI, and that fixed the sound, but now the picture is choppy. Even Vsync doesn't help.

UPDATE: I dont know what I did, but Direct 3D magically works all of a sudden lol. Picture and sound are all good. FINALLY my MAME problems are over.... I think... And I'm sorry if I put up too many posts about it.

log.txt