All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[CABINET] Gamejunky Cab

imagamejunky

Here's my acrylic overlays for the main and upper screens/bezels. I decided to use cabinet magnets to mount them and black spray paint (for plastics) to paint the inside "bezel".

Here's how I did it. With the acrylic in place in front of the tv's I used blue painter's tape on the front side to mask out where I wanted the edge of the black bezel to be. Then I took the acrylic off of the cabinet, removed the hardware for the magnets, and used green frog tape on the back side of the acrylic. This way I was able to place the edge of the frog tape to the exact line of the blue tape on the front side. I carefully used a sharp exacto knife and a metal straight edge to cut the 90 degree corners. I drug my fingernail along the edge of the frog tape to make sure it had a nice attachment to the acrylic. Then I painted. It took a lot more paint to cover up than I had expected. I used a flashlight from underneath to look for any areas that light would bleed through. Here's a tip I read on the forums that really helped... remove the frog tape early, while the paint is still wet. That way the paint has less time to seep under the tape.I did this one the same exact way. I used drill bits from tap plastics that are designed to drill though acrylic. In the upper one I had to drill multiple large holes for the speakers

I'm really happy with how these turned out. They look fantastic in my opinion

Junky

post-21596-0-93441100-1426216434_thumb.j

post-21596-0-95381000-1426216437_thumb.j

post-21596-0-74356600-1426216441_thumb.j

post-21596-0-58210000-1426216444_thumb.j

post-21596-0-37681200-1426216447_thumb.j

• Like 2

Here's the cab with both acrylics in place and also the diamond plate. I purchased the 10" diamond plate from Tread-Ware. They will custom cut the length for you but you will need to drill your own holes.

Junky

post-21596-0-13011200-1426216738_thumb.j

post-21596-0-83318400-1426216739_thumb.j

post-21596-0-99155900-1426216741_thumb.j

Wiring!

Holy you know what, this took me MANY hours.
I included 2 pictures of these connectors I found on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you plan on buying RGB Led's from GGG they come with no terminations on the ends of the wires. If you buy an ipac then you will need to find a way to connect the Led's. These connectors I found are a little thicker than I would prefer, it took some "finessing" but they definitely worked. The connectors that Andy at Ultimarc provides with his led's must be thinner. The one on the UTrak trackball is thinner. It fits better on the board.

Junky

post-21596-0-56995900-1426216914_thumb.j

post-21596-0-57623200-1426216917_thumb.j

post-21596-0-14861200-1426216920_thumb.j

post-21596-0-80921300-1426216922_thumb.j

Videos!!

https://youtu.be/xjSb0VmJFuk

https://youtu.be/XOSv99QUouE

Hell yes

Junky

PS. I know this is a GameEx forum. I hope nobody is offended by my showing videos of HS running. I have both frontends installed. I'm not sure yet which one I will stick with. For now the combination of Hyperspin/Hyperlaunch/Hypermarquee is allowing me to run the dynamic marquees and I'm loving it. I'm really hoping that Evolution is released soon so I can try that as well.

Man that is one impressive cab, and one I can't wait to see runniing! <edit> Didn't see the links until I after I posted......

You should be proud of it, it looks fantastic :cheers:

<edit 2> great pointers on working with the poly, that stiff always gives me fits.

Edited by tthurman
  • Like 1

EDITED TODAY. Read below

Now onto my problems. Hopefully I can help someone out too..

EDIT- DO NOT USE JOYID WITH WINDOWS 7 or 8! IT CAUSES PROBLEMS. TRUST ME.

1- Trying to get the Aimtrak guns to work correctly is a total pain in the ass. I have wasted HOURS and HOURS with these stupid guns. I follow instructions on different websites, follow video tutorials, etc etc. NOTHING WORKS. So frustrating. One thing that did help me is finding the program JoyID.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ad.php?t=13009

This great little program helps you by stopping stupid ass windows from reassigning your usb devices with new ID numbers. Try it out if you are having problems with your joystick ID's.

Do any of you have 2 aimtraks successfully working? If so, will you please help me out? I want 2 guns to work CORRECTLY with mame, sega m2, nestopia, and of course pc games like hotd 3. Based on a video tutorial I installed and used the "lightgun troubleshooter". This program is like a virus on my pc now. It doesn't work for me and I can't uninstall it. Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT- The popular Jumpstile mameuifx builds do not allow 2 guns. I didn't know this. Now I know. This isn't a slam against Jumpstile. No offense intended.

2- The ipac ultimate i/o from ultimarc doesn't have the ability (yet) to have an individual id assigned to it. What this means is that you can't use LedBlinky to program/communicate with more than one board. I didn't know this and I built my entire control panel and wired eveything perfectly to 2 ipac ultimates. I had to take one of the ipacs out and re-wire many switches and led's. What a flipping nightmare! For the time being I have some led's connected together and I have some buttons connected to joystick inputs on the board. This will work temporarily for me until Andy releases a new version of firmware that will allow an id assignment on the ipac ultimate.

EDIT- Andy and Arzoo are currently working with me to try and fix this issue. Apparently I'm the first to use 2 ipac ultimates together with LEDblinky. I will let you know how it goes.

Like I said hopefully this helps someone too.

Junky

Edited by imagamejunky

Very nice clean cab. its huge!

I've got two aimtraks up and running fine with mame. think I had to use something called controller remap , search byoac. Also some specific drivers for some systems. Can't remember details but some on my site via link below...

Great job! No offense to be had displaying HyperSpin, although I would like to see some GameEx themes (I hear that the Smoked Glass theme in the forum Downloads section is a pretty cool one for HD displays ;) ) displayed in stills and video as well when you get a chance. I believe Hyperlaunch is supposed to be "front end neutral" and I believe Krakerman has it running well with GameEx.

Congrats on putting together a great cab!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.
Some Updates here.

The 2 ipac ultimates are running perfect now!! Andy at Ultimarc sent me a new firmware version (124) to try with my second ipac ultimate. This new firmware successfully assigned "ID2" to this second board. Then Andy sent me a new PacDrive32.dll to replace the original one in my LedBlinky folder. These 2 changes have now allowed me to successfully program both ipac ultimates with LedBlinky. These boards are functioning perfectly with Hyperspin/LedBlinky now. I'm super stoked.

After TONS AND TONS of problems, I decided to remove the ultrastik360's from my cabinet. In my opinion it is such a HUGE pain in the ass to use usb analog joysticks in a cab with windows 8.1. The worst part is trying to get windows to KEEP the joy ID's assigned to the correct stick. Windows will randomly assign ID's to these joysticks even when you leave them plugged in. For example, if I plugged a usb device like a lightgun in then windows might make it #1 while bumping the joysticks to #2 or #3 or #7!!!. Then when you run mame the config files are all wrong so your controls won't work. Yes, I read that there are some ways around this by using a controller remapper but this looked like a real pain also and I didn't want any more hassle.
So now my joystick setup is ALL digital and I couldn't be happier. 2 Servostiks for P1/P2 and 2 J-Stiks for P3/P4. I also installed RGB handles on the joysticks. I really love the feel of these digital sticks and I love the look of the RGB handles. The digital sticks JUST WORK and windows doesn't mess them up of course. Awesome! I highly recommend to anyone building a cab to stick with digital sticks. If I would have done this to begin with I would not have wasted so much time. Yes I have now lost the analog stick for the emu's that need it but I can still use xbox360 wireless controllers for those.

I will post more pictures/video with all of the led's later.

Hope this info helps someone.

Junky

• 8 months later...

I've been MIA for a while. Been busy with a move and some new projects. I thought I would update this thread with a video showing the cab with the updated RGB sticks. In this video you can also see my PinCab running PinballX. You will also see my newest addition, the 4K-UHD Racing Simulator.

Enjoy!

Junky

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Love your setup!  Glad top see there is someone else who also has a curved 4K UHD TV being used for their simpit!

Have you ever tried using custom 21:9 resolutions at all?  I use a custom 3840x1640  (21:9) ultra-wide resolution with my 55 inch 4K TV for my simpit. You get black bars above and below the game (just like watching some movies), but it still looks great!

Do you have simvibe on your simpit at all?  It's awesome, and truly is a game changer.  I can't wait for the day when I eventually get a VR headset.