All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

stigzler

User Playstation Emulators  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which Playstation Emulators do you use on your system?

Hi folks,

I'm in the middle of a new project. It's basically a multi-emulator launcher for psx games. The end product will:

- Boot psx roms from zipped folders containing varying formats (ecm,ccd,cue,iso,mdb etc)

- Create a 'quicklaunch' version of the game so you don't have to unzip it every time you play (optional)

- Auto-launch the quicklaunch version if detected. (optional)

- Select which default emulator to set against which game (as some work better on diff emus)

- Per-emulator launch settings

- Grab each games settings from registry and any ini files and autoload them when boot the game next time (e.g. in pcsxr) - preventing setting up game each time you play

- Have an admin mode so you can set all of the above - either boot launcher into admin mode via gameex, of use launcher stand-alone to setup games and then use game-ex as final launcher.

Also, in terms of integrating into GameEx, I've managed to use this approach alongside "Emulator Groups" function in GE to produce a single list of all psx games under Emulators, with links under each game to either other emulators or to a "Quicklaunch" version of the game. So select games, then select system to method to launch it. Lot tidier. :)

Of course - this in no way is meant to be used instead of GameEx. However, a launcher has proved useful to me in the past when setting up other systems, such as PS2 and Demul - importantly allowing you to save per-game settings.

It started with this script, on the first point:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/13871-multiformat-universal-playstationpsx-rom-loader-deals-with-zipped-and-ecm-roms/

Started this here so get what would be helpful to people whilst I'm knocking it together, rather than just a blind release.

At the moment, I'm just designing this for epsxe and pcsxr as these are the two on my system (got xebra as well, so might add that).

However - I need your help!!!!

It would be helpful to know which PSX emulators people are using so I can include these in the launcher too. Poll included or post below...

I'll obviously post it here once get it to a shareable state. Probably with it just supporting a few emulators to start with.

Cheers!

• Like 3

This sounds like a really cool project Stigz! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

In terms of additional supported emulators, it might also be beneficial to include support for pSX and potentially ePSXecutor (no an emulator in and of itself, but it is fairly popular among those using ePSXe through a front end). The nice thing about both of these is that they are much less complex than either ePSXe or PCSX, so it would likely be fairly arbitrary to roll in support for those as well. Just a thought!

Great idea!

Whoa! What have I started? This is my most challenging project yet. Having to learn batch and vb scripting and with a gui, default settings (for the launcher, per game and per emulator) + the multi-emulator bit, this is getting REALLY complicated!

Few bits I'm having to fish around for, and don't know if anyone can help.

Basically, I'm hoping that all psx emus' games can be launched via a combo of:

- command line

- Daemon Tools

- Right plugin for the emulator

- Preferred order of extension to mount (e.g. some files have both .ccd and .cue files, but pcsxr only takes cue)

Can code in settings to handle each emu, but sometimes getting to what the correct approach is for each emulator is taking ages. Got these two so far:

epsxe:

Mount image on SCSI

ccd over cue

cmd: epsxe.exe -nogui -loadmemc0 "memcards\%gamename%"

pcsxr:

Mount Image on SCSI

cue over ccd

cmd: pcsxr.exe - nogui - runcd

Anyone know any others - may save me a whole load of time which I can devote to coding....

P.S. - respect to you coding guys - this batch/cmd coding is SOOOO pedantic and infuriating! I can't eat or sleep trying to get this done.. I'm obsessed! :)

I'm using RetroArch / Mednafen

(I don't use DaemonTools, so I don't know the command line for it. I load them directly)

RetroArch:

cue over ccd

cmd: retroarch.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" -c mednafen_psx_libretro.dll.cfg -v

Mednafen:

cue over ccd

cmd: mednafen.exe -fs 1 "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

• Like 1

Brilliant Benji - that's fantastic! See... I didn't even know these emulated the Psx! I'll add them to the list in the poll, which will also serve as a list of all known PSX emulators!

Thanks again for your contribution. Those cmd lines will save some time!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick health warning to anyone perusing this post. If you're going to try out ePSXecutor make sure you go into it 100%. I quickly tried to set it up whilst juggling many balls; gave up and then returned to my ePSXe settings being mysteriously screwed. It is written by the marvelous "Pete" of the fantastic gfx plugin, but my guess is you have to be 100% committed to getting it all set up. Reinstall of epsxe approaches after two more rescue attempts...

Me too. I'm a die hard pSX user due to the fact epsxe is a beast to configure. :)

If your tool makes it easy to do I might just give it a try though. :)

This project has led me to setup:

epsxe

pcsxr

psx

Mednafen

Haven't gone into it in detail, but they all seem to have their pros+cons. Initial impressions are that The 3D rendering on PCSXR seems more solid and less 'wobbly' than epsxe (weirdly, despite using the same plugin). I think PSX sounded really good. However, Mednafen seems to have filters that might render 2D graphics better than the others (for games like Abe's Odyysee???). I'm sure a comparrisson of all psx emus has been done somewhere, but quick search didn't yield. Sure it's a complex subject.

Had a quick go at RetroArch. Gave up when couldn't find the 'Cores' - dunno how it works!

Anywhoos - back to me 'fing.' Hmmm, should I add just one more feature or get it released?