All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Has anyone managed to compile MAME64 .154?!

DazzleHP

I'm at my wits end!

I spent nearly allday yesterday trying to figure this one out, but no matter what i try, or what method i use i get the exact same error! And it relates to the driver model1.c. As you guys probably know i'm not a codie and so i have no idea what the error means other than it relates to that file.

After hours of searching (no exagerating), the only info i found was this, but as you can see, the person who reported the problem is trying to build in linux.

The linked error (is the same as mine):

src/mame/video/model1.c: In function 'void draw_quads(model1_state*, bitmap_rgb32&, const rectangle&)':src/mame/video/model1.c:307:17: error: array subscript is above array bounds [-Werror=array-bounds]    while(p[ps2+1].y == cury)                 ^src/mame/video/model1.c:319:17: error: array subscript is below array bounds [-Werror=array-bounds]    while(p[ps1-1].y == cury)                 ^src/mame/video/model1.c:319:17: error: array subscript is below array bounds [-Werror=array-bounds]src/mame/video/model1.c:329:17: error: array subscript is above array bounds [-Werror=array-bounds]    while(p[ps2+1].y == cury)                 ^src/mame/video/model1.c:329:17: error: array subscript is above array bounds [-Werror=array-bounds]Compiling src/mame/video/segag80v.c...src/mame/video/model1.c:305:17: error: array subscript is below array bounds [-Werror=array-bounds]    while(p[ps1-1].y == cury)

I've downloaded mame-source and mingw multiple times

I start with fresh extraction of mame source every time

The first few times i tried with my usual alterations to the source

Then multiple times with zero alterations or diff's added

I tried Headkaze's compiler too, and although it ploughs through the error, it ultimately still fails a few moments later everytime.

Has the compile process changed? Or is there a real bug in the source? I tried to compile over 10 times (i can be determined when i want to be :P) but i surrender. Please someone tell me they know what's going on here. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease ^_^

EDIT - OK i just tried 32bit version to make sure it wasn't a 64 thing, and sure enough same error. I took a screenie this time though:

post-6865-0-90237900-1410767142_thumb.jp

SOLUTION:

Do not use the "new" tools promoted on the official page - they cause errors. Instead use an earlier version - this version is proven to work:

http://mamedev.org/downloader.php?file=tools/mingw-mame-20121207.exe

You should point your grattitude to tthurman, otherwise known as Todd for finding this solution! It's all him! Thanks again man - you preserved my sanity :P

Vanilla MAME?

Absolutely :)

You are downloading the 0.154s and not the binaries, right? It doesn't differentiate between 32 and 64 bit, so I'm confused by that comment.

Ofcourse ^_^ it wouldn't even start if i tried to compile with a binary. It depends which env you choose - either 32bit or 64bit. I've been compiling my own since .143. I tried both the .zip and the windows only self extractor but both return the same error. Usually i can spot my own mistake if i make one, but after 10+ tries either there is a bug somewhere, or i'm losing the plot. I'm betting on the latter if i'm honest :P

And yes, mine compiles for about 15 mins before it gets to that error.

EDIT - also, as mentioned, Headkazes Compiler (which i don't normally use) ignores the error, but fails anyway a few mins after. Well for me it did :(

I compiled recently just fine. You only have 1 version of the mame source in your folder right? Also, the only diff you need (unless you're building the UI) is the highscore one, there are no u patches yet. And make sure your checkboxes in the extra options are all setup correctly.

One thing I noticed, and I hope HK will update the compiler for. There needs to be a way to have you choose an OUTPUT folder, so you don't include the src folder when you're done compiling. It's like 200+ megs of unnecessary fluff. Also, the compiling options only include Win32 OS, yet we're compiling a Win64 build. Might have something to do with your problem.

One last thing. Did you try restarting the compile after it craps out, without erasing everything and starting over? The first time I built, it gave me an error, but I just started it up again and it continued on.

UAC in XP ? UAC was introduced in Vista.

I meant, i used XP for way too long before i upgrade to W7, so all this UAC stuff is new to me - which is why i turned it off ^_^

I compiled recently just fine. You only have 1 version of the mame source in your folder right? Also, the only diff you need (unless you're building the UI) is the highscore one, there are no u patches yet. And make sure your checkboxes in the extra options are all setup correctly.

Yes, yes, of course ^_^ built my own since .143... by the way i don't use the compiler - i only used it twice yesterday to make sure i wasn't being an idiot :P

So to clarify:

I use this mame source:

http://mamedev.org/downloader.php?file=releases/mame0154s.zip

I also tried the self extractor after many attempts with the source:

http://mamedev.org/downloader.php?file=releases/mame0154s.exe

I use the mingw env from official site:

http://www.mamedev.org/downloader.php?file=tools/mingw-mame-w64-20140905.exe

After each fail i delete the mame source, it is gone, the whole directory. Then i extract it again so it is fresh. Same error and i've tried everything. Apart from Todd's UAC thing. I always "Run as Admin" anyway as it stops the annoying popups, but now i'm gonna turn it back on and try again coz you just never know.

@Todd - no it didn't work, same error :(

@Han - why would i apply a diff that didn't exist? ^_^

Okay, so I'm all setup to re-compile using the newer minigw you linked, and at about seven minutes in, guess what?

attachicon.gifScrnsht.jpg

Here is the minigw Headkaze has linked:

http://mamedev.org/downloader.php?file=tools/mingw-mame-20121207.exe

This is what I complied with at first, and without issue.

That's the exact same error! I think you're on to something there tthurman! I'll try your linked toolchain and see what happens :)

YES!

That was it! I just tried a "true" Vanilla build with your linked env and sure enough - no errors. I now have MAME64 .154 compiled! WOOP!

Thanks a lot man, i really was about to lose my shxx over this LOL and it turned out to be so simple in the end thanks to you :) You're a legend man! I'll mark as resolved with explanation ;)

Right after i compile with d-input and hiscore patch :D brb!

PS: now i'm going @ -j5 so shouldn't take nowhere near as long. Compared to your (assuming) i7 it will though hehehe

PPS: Yes i have an i3 with 2 cores, 4 threads :) slower than an i7 but very capable heheh

• Like 1