All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Multiple versions of VP

Mirkin

Hi all.

I'm running PinballX on my 3 monitor cab setup with VP and it does a great job.

You'll have to excuse me if this has been mentioned before but I have one suggestion to make it much more user friendly.

A lot of the games need different versions of VP, 9.21 or 9.9 etc. to run without bugs.

Instead of selecting the exe file in the setup program, wouldn't it be better to have another field in the game manager to choose which version of VP you want each table to load in. Maybe underneath the game dropdown. (this sounds seems simple to me but I'm not a programmer so maybe it's a real hassle.)

This way it would be exremely simple to setup and save you having to have separate pinballx exes pointing at different versions of VP.

I'd definitely donate if this option was available.

Either way thanks for a great front end.

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all.

I'm running PinballX on my 3 monitor cab setup with VP and it does a great job.

You'll have to excuse me if this has been mentioned before but I have one suggestion to make it much more user friendly.

A lot of the games need different versions of VP, 9.21 or 9.9 etc. to run without bugs.

Instead of selecting the exe file in the setup program, wouldn't it be better to have another field in the game manager to choose which version of VP you want each table to load in. Maybe underneath the game dropdown. (this sounds seems simple to me but I'm not a programmer so maybe it's a real hassle.)

This way it would be exremely simple to setup and save you having to have separate pinballx exes pointing at different versions of VP.

I'd definitely donate if this option was available.

Either way thanks for a great front end.

Chris

It's pretty easy already:

I run 9.21, 9.90, and Phy5. I don't even have to move or copy the VP folder. Although, for me, I tend to keep only one version of a table. Here's what I did:

In the Setting Wizard - Other Systems screen -define a new system for Virtual Pinball. Call it anything you want, "Virtual Pinball - New Physics" maybe. Enable it. Same Working Path, same Table Path, same Parameters as your usual Visual Pinball settings. The executable will be PhysMod5.exe or whatever.

Go the PinballX/Databases folder. Create a copy of the Visual Pinball folder. Rename the folder to "Virtual Pinball - New Physics". Inside the folder, rename the xml file to "Virtual Pinball - New Physics". Edit the file in Notepad or whatever. Cut out all table listings where you do not have a PhysMod table. Save the file.

Go to the Visual Pinball folder. Edit the Visual Pinball xml file. Cut out any table listings where you are using the PhysMod version instead. Save the File.

Now go to the PinballX/Media folder. Copy all of the contents of the Visual Pinball folder to a new folder and call it "Visual Pinball - New Physics". It doesn't matter about having duplicate media files unless you simply need the disc space. It will work. That's it.

• Like 1

Hello!, I install 2 times the same hard disk .... and another one like PinballX as PinballX DX7. would look like C :/ and C :/ PinballX PinballX DX7.

I use the VP and VP dx7 dx9.

Use tables with corresponding launcher and everything is going great .... another solution for using more than one version of Visual pinball.

Hug!

It's pretty easy already:

I run 9.21, 9.90, and Phy5. I don't even have to move or copy the VP folder. Although, for me, I tend to keep only one version of a table. Here's what I did:

In the Setting Wizard - Other Systems screen -define a new system for Virtual Pinball. Call it anything you want, "Virtual Pinball - New Physics" maybe. Enable it. Same Working Path, same Table Path, same Parameters as your usual Visual Pinball settings. The executable will be PhysMod5.exe or whatever.

Go the PinballX/Databases folder. Create a copy of the Visual Pinball folder. Rename the folder to "Virtual Pinball - New Physics". Inside the folder, rename the xml file to "Virtual Pinball - New Physics". Edit the file in Notepad or whatever. Cut out all table listings where you do not have a PhysMod table. Save the file.

Go to the Visual Pinball folder. Edit the Visual Pinball xml file. Cut out any table listings where you are using the PhysMod version instead. Save the File.

Now go to the PinballX/Media folder. Copy all of the contents of the Visual Pinball folder to a new folder and call it "Visual Pinball - New Physics". It doesn't matter about having duplicate media files unless you simply need the disc space. It will work. That's it.

Thanks for the reply.

It's not exactly as simple as what I was suggesting but I see that it's an option.

I'll giive it a go later and see if I can get it to work.

Just one question. Do I put the new media folder alongside the original or inside it.