Draco1962    2157

Feature requests for GameEx Evolution are actively encouraged so please post them here! Reporting of errors or bugs need to be addressed via the GameEx Evolution General forum. Thank you!

Refer to the GameEx - FAQs, Guides, and Other Useful Information forum for "legacy" GameEx information.

• Like 1

stigzler    662

First off - blinding - well done Headkaze, Tom et al...

Loving the different views - smooth cover-flows and nice reflections - that Blaze Engine is looking the biz. 

One thing with Carousel/wheel etc - when finds a game + there's no corresponding artwork I couldn't see any text for what the game is, just a 'no image' graphic - is this a themes issue or a setting somewhere?

headkaze    326
On 6/28/2016 at 11:15 AM, stigzler said:

One thing with Carousel/wheel etc - when finds a game + there's no corresponding artwork I couldn't see any text for what the game is, just a 'no image' graphic - is this a themes issue or a setting somewhere?

Text support for the wheel and carousel views will definitely be coming in a future release. It's one of those things we didn't get around to implement in time for the alpha but it has been discussed and is easy to implement.

• Like 1

stigzler    662

Thought you guys would have it covered...I'm gonna hold off posting here until the beta as there's invariably loads of features that are built in, just not in the alpha yet..great work.

Gildahl    21

A huge feature for me would be the ability to create arbitrary custom lists easily through the UI.  Both lists I can manually add titles to and "smart" lists based on a filter--like star ratings or tags.  Lack of this IMO is the one and only major deficiency in the existing GameEx software and would make Evo pretty much perfect to me. 

headkaze    326
1 hour ago, Gildahl said:

A huge feature for me would be the ability to create arbitrary custom lists easily through the UI.  Both lists I can manually add titles to and "smart" lists based on a filter--like star ratings or tags.  Lack of this IMO is the one and only major deficiency in the existing GameEx software and would make Evo pretty much perfect to me. 

More filtering options are on the way :)

• Like 1

stigzler    662
15 hours ago, Gildahl said:

A huge feature for me would be the ability to create arbitrary custom lists easily

In the mean-time you could try this:

RIP-Felix    190

Will there be a theme editor as such? If so, is it after the beta release on the priority list? I was going to make a new theme for GameEx this summer, while I have the time (Reduced working hours), but if Evo is likely to get a theme editor I would rather jump headlong into that instead.

headkaze    326
6 hours ago, RIP-Felix said:

Will there be a theme editor as such? If so, is it after the beta release on the priority list?

There is a Layout Editor and I would say it's ~85% finished. There was a time when I was working on both at the same time but then finishing the engine and getting the alpha out became a priority so it was put on the back burner. To tide theme creators over in the mean time we made the theme format .psd (Photoshop file format) so it should be relatively easy for anyone with Photoshop to edit and create new themes. Each psd is accompanied by an ini file that describes object parameters such as text effects. There is a plan in the works to write a tutorial on creating themes using Photoshop.

The downside to the current format (apart from requiring Photoshop) is we do not have a visual way to edit object parameters nor is there a key-frame animation editor like there is in the Layout Editor. We would like to get the Layout Editor out for the final release but what exactly becomes available will ultimately be up to Tom. While we will strive to keep everyone in the community happy there are also the restraints of time and money to consider.

• Like 1

RIP-Felix    190

Well,  Paint.net should work as a free alternative to photoshop for editing these, but you have to place the "PhotoShop.dll" from the "PSDplugin" available here into the Paint.net "Filetypes" folder to open them (C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes\PhotoShop.dll). The readme explains "Perfect round-trip compatibility is possible for features that are common to both Paint.NET and Adobe Photoshop.  Other features are preserved with varying levels of visual fidelity." So, some fine tuning may be required but it should get you by.

Also, GIMP works out of the box and is the closest thing to photoshop featurewise. I learned on paint.net and have been putting off learning GIPM, but maybe now's the time.

...we do not have a visual way to edit object parameters nor is there a key-frame animation editor like there is in the Layout Editor.

Do you mean there is no way to manipulate them in a GUI and have it save to the INI like the current Theme Editor does. For example, positioning objects like title text, scrollers, image windows, and etc. requires manually entering  X/Y coordinates in the config INI?

As for the "key-frame animation editor," to what are you referring? Do you mean there is no "Blender" like app to animate 3D models, transitions, and text effects yet?

Draco1962    2157

I would think that GIMP should work as well. Just going to take a bit to identity what's what.  Having a theme editor of some sort to be able to move the objects Felix described and being able to enable - disable effects and fonts will go a long way towards theme creation.

RIP-Felix    190
2 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

I would think that GIMP should work as well. Just going to take a bit to identity what's what.  Having a theme editor of some sort to be able to move the objects Felix described and being able to enable - disable effects and fonts will go a long way towards theme creation.

Yes it does, and out of the box too. I've edited my previous post to reflect this. I think it would have better fidelity to photoshop too. so If your confortable with GIPM there's no problem. If not, well...Get confortable with it I guess. I'm Downloading and looking up video tutorials as soon as I finish this reply.

Draco1962    2157

I already use GIMP and am familiar with a lot of it's functions. Getting comfortable with the psds for Evo is going to take a bit to digest.

RIP-Felix    190

[Feature Request] A Perspective tool in the theme editor.

Here is why:

Happy Birthday Nintendo 64: Looking Back on My Favorite Games ...

I've been wondering for a while how I could use a picture like the above as a background for (in this case for the N64) Emulators. I always thought it would be nice to have the boxart or video snaps display in the space on the cartridge where the label would be. However you need a perspective tool like the one in GIMP to fit/morph the art into place in the ini. Now I'm not even sure that is possible. However, Evo can handle 3D objects, transitions, animations and other 3D effects. How hard would it be to add the snaps as a 3D object so it can be manipulated in a theme editor GUI in 3 dimensions (or for that matter animated in 4D using key frames and transition effects)? IDK, maybe the answer is just allow the user to drag each corner to the appropriate spot and squish/lengthen the image to match.

To give you an Idea of what this would look like. I was thinking a Wheel carousel on the left would display 400x400 pixel game logos from this community project. Simultaneously, using keyframes and transition effects, A 3D animation of a cartridge with the appropriate Boxart displaying on its surface would Rotate in fron the upper right as if from another carousel and insert into the N64 slot on the background seen above. Following closely behind it would be another animation of a CRT TV  that plops down next to the console. Once the cartridge is in place and the TV plops down. The power switch slides into the on position, the power indicator lights, and the video snap plays in the TV with an Nice overlay to give it that glassy look. If no boxart for a title is available then the Title would display in the cartridge instead (There would need to be a way to specify artwork priorities - perhaps another feature request). Same thing with a generic No video Preview Available picture for the TV if no video snaps are available. Anyway that is the type of thing I'm envisioning may be possible with EVO. Am I completely dreaming here, or will any of this be possible in the blaze engine, even if then down the road aways?

headkaze    326
On 7/1/2016 at 0:27 PM, RIP-Felix said:

Do you mean there is no way to manipulate them in a GUI and have it save to the INI like the current Theme Editor does. For example, positioning objects like title text, scrollers, image windows, and etc. requires manually entering  X/Y coordinates in the config INI?

Positioning objects is all done in the Photoshop (.psd) file. Additional information such as text gradients, outlines etc. require an accompanying .ini file.

On 7/1/2016 at 0:27 PM, RIP-Felix said:

As for the "key-frame animation editor," to what are you referring? Do you mean there is no "Blender" like app to animate 3D models, transitions, and text effects yet?

Yes, there is no software to animate objects visually (Layout Editor).

RIP-Felix    190
10 hours ago, headkaze said:

Positioning objects is all done in the Photoshop (.psd) file. Additional information such as text gradients, outlines etc. require an accompanying .ini file.

Yes, there is no software to animate objects visually (Layout Editor).

Ok, I kinda see haow that works. It's easier form a skinners perspective to just work in photoshop and not need to "tell" evo where to position the objects. Still, I don't understand how evo knows where to position a *.psd (like the control panel for ex.) since it's canvas size is smaller than the theme canvas (1080p). Does it just position it in the middle by default? Also, I'm unclear on the naming conventions. if you want to customize an object and have evo recognize it in your modified *.psd, you will have to name the layer according to some convention, right? Anyway, I'm sure this will all be in the tutorial. I'm just chomping at the bit and anxious to get dirty. I like what I see and want to get familiar with the interface and theme editing process...[calm down...breath...be patient]. I know you guys are working hard, it's really coming together. Thank you.

Maybe this question would be better placed in the themes section? IDK

djrobx    7

Feature request: 3 sided cab support

3s2.png

Ideally, if the user presses on any controls on that side, the UI should rotate so the user can read it.   When it rotates, the game list should automatically filter to games that are appropriate to that view. 

I've seen some other threads about autorotation using a plugin for GameEx based on the *last* game selected, but that's not quite ideal for this case, as I really ought to be able to switch orientations before I select a game.

I've found that the Mala frontend has direct support for this.  The way theirs works is buttons are assigned to groupings called "control sets" and you can assign them to a side of a screen.   That way it knows to switch orientations when certain controls are touched.    Each side has a game list associated with it so it will filter automatically too. 

stigzler    662

My guess is that this will be easy do-able when evo's released via a plugin - detect control set>rotate accordingly>swap out game list. Good suggestion + cool cab!