All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Robotron: 2084

post-26988-0-72770700-1405634661_thumb.j

*NB: For Robotron 2084, my version of MAME (and probably all others) had the default difficulty level set to "3" ("liberal"), not "5"("recommended"), which is the proper setting for this round of the competition. These Williams machines didn't have dip switches, so the only way to change the difficulty is to "advance" through the diagnostic pages (F2 on most versions of MAME) until you reach the settings page where the difficult level can be manually adjusted.

• Like 1

*NB: For Robotron 2084, my version of MAME (and probably all others) had the default difficulty level set to "3" ("liberal"), not "5"("recommended"), which is the proper setting for this round of the competition. These Williams machines didn't have dip switches, so the only way to change the difficulty is to "advance" through the diagnostic pages (F2 on most versions of MAME) until you reach the settings page where the difficult level can be manually adjusted.

I checked my settings, and you're right. The previous 243,000 score I posted was played on difficulty 3. I saw on the first post that nothing had to be changed, and I went with it. Little did I realize how persnickety those Williams games can be since there's no physical dips, you gotta hit F2 to check all the settings. I'd make sure everyone here has checked their settings too.

Therefore, I have a new score at the correct difficulty, level 5. I did not really feel it was any harder, though.

ExedExes - 256,100

0006_zpse0af7de0.png

• Like 1

You're absolutely right Fallout_002. Thank you for clarifying this !! ...and a great contribution for your first submission ;)

The settings of post #1 are correct but don't match the preset game settings. In my next reply I've explained how to exactly change these settings. I've also sent a PM to everyone who may have been using the incorrect game settings and I've updated post #1

Thanks again Fallout !!

I checked my settings, and you're right. The previous 243,000 score I posted was played on difficulty 3. I saw on the first post that nothing had to be changed, and I went with it. Little did I realize how persnickety those Williams games can be since there's no physical dips, you gotta hit F2 to check all the settings. I'd make sure everyone here has checked their settings too.

Therefore, I have a new score at the correct difficulty, level 5. I did not really feel it was any harder, though.

ExedExes - 256,100

Thank you for your new hi-score submission ExEx !

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

UPDATE ON GAME SETTINGS

Thank you Fallout for clarifying this...

The game settings of post #1 are correct but don't match the preset game settings !! (post #1 has been updated)

You've have to change the "Difficulty of Play" setting to value 5 (recommended)

1. Start Robotron: 2084

2. Wait for the in-game hi-score table to appear and hit F2 several times until you've reached the screen below (I had to hit F2 about 16 times :wacko: )

robotron.jpg

3. Keyboard controls to browse this menu:

E = move up

D = move down

i = increase value

k = decrease value

4. Hit F2 once more to exit the diagnostics pages

We kindly ask you to submit a (new) hi-score at the correct difficulty setting or reply to this thread and confirm you've been using the correct settings. Your hi-score will (again) be added to the game's hi-score board when we have received either your confirmation or a new hi-score submission at the correct difficulty setting. Sorry for the inconvenience.

~ Hi-Score Team

Those sneaky little buggers. I didn't know there was a diagnostics screen to change settings in. Is this typical for all Wiliams games? If so, we'll have to keep a closer eye out when adding new games.

• Like 1

OK, I updated my settings. While I was in there, I made it so I could spell out my whole name (it was the setting below the difficulty).

Like @ExedExes said, it's not much different. The only thing I noticed was, I died TWICE by being surrounded by grunts. I don't recall those grunts ever being so effective as to surround me, let alone doing it twice in the same game.

IMG_0026_zpsbf5eea69.jpg

OK, I updated my settings. While I was in there, I made it so I could spell out my whole name (it was the setting below the difficulty).

Like @ExedExes said, it's not much different. The only thing I noticed was, I died TWICE by being surrounded by grunts. I don't recall those grunts ever being so effective as to surround me, let alone doing it twice in the same game.

No 1 again !! You've even improved your previous no 1 hi-score. Great job Stephen :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

I am not kidding. I was one robot about from clearing another level. And on my last guy, all I had to do was shoot that ONE robot, and the level started with me surrounded by grunts, not much room to move, and no clear shot - game over.

I am convinced that the difference between difficulty setting 3 and 5 is how many grunts, and how aggressive they are.

IMG_0032_zps5af40b9a.jpg

• Like 1

I am not kidding. I was one robot about from clearing another level. And on my last guy, all I had to do was shoot that ONE robot, and the level started with me surrounded by grunts, not much room to move, and no clear shot - game over.

I am convinced that the difference between difficulty setting 3 and 5 is how many grunts, and how aggressive they are.

....one robot :wacko: ... that's too bad ! Great score nevertheless. You have a great shot at winning this month's banner :)

Nice improvement Fallout !! You've broken the 200K :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

my version does not have a difficulty setting...i am using robotron rom

Hello Rich ! Did you happen to see the little guide I've written ? This should help you change the difficulty setting to "Value 5" > link

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Hello Rich ! Did you happen to see the little guide I've written ? This should help you change the difficulty setting to "Value 5" > link

Good luck :)

Nope :) - just figured it was in the dip switches...thanks GC!

AND THE WINNER OF JULY 2014 GOTM IS...

TodayIsForgotten - 393,925 (link)

As you may or may not be aware, although relatively new around these parts TiF is by no means a novice! Co-creator of the IGBOTY, TiF has posted some of the craziest scores i've seen - in many games. And in one bold post (no less) took this months banner with a score no one could match. With a couple more top scores in this comp, is this a sign of things to come? Let's hope so!

Join me in congratulating TodayIsForgotten as this months winner!

@ TiF - Dennis (GimmeClassics) will contact you shortly with your GOTM signature banner and of course you'll be added to our GOTM Winners thread :)

As for the rest of you, it ain't over yet! Although the GOTM has finished you can still compete for a position on this board. Our regular boards roll forever so bring out your guns and shoot for that top spot!

Good luck,
~HS Team