All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[COMMUNITY PROJECT] Developer Logos Database

stigzler

UPDATE:

Having learned that the developer database is in the process of review, change and update - changed the spreadsheet accordingly.

Made decision not to keep the "old" names on it, as these will all be being replaced at some stage.

All stock icons reviewed and matched against the new names. Spreadsheet now up to date.

• Like 1

<humility. Sorry!

OK.. how about this....

Oi! You freekin leachers... give something back! I was finding GIMP within 2 months of finding gameex, I was thinking I wanted:

a) to expand it

B) to make something good, better

c) to put something back into everyone else's hard work

You guys got no cahunas!?? Have no idea of the power of collaborative effort!? Stop sitting there on yer own arse and recognize the power of two. Give something ffs!

KRC - my apologies - if yer givin already - i'll get off me really big horse.

For the others who just suck on others' creativity/work - sign up or do one.

(oooopps - but grrr....)

null - delete this at will ;)

I know the feeling mate.

Well done on the update btw. Will keep you up to date as much as I can. Db editing is on hold for a little bit so you are safe for a while ;)

PS: I know how ya feel bud. I get around the lack of support by remembering that most everything I do is for the love of the hobby.

Sure, there are members who take and never give. Then you have members who demand and offer no support (ie configs & log files), and you have members who bitch, bash, and quit at the first little mistake our if something didn't behave exactly like they want it to without any sort of trying.

And then, there's that one member. You know, wiling to help, understanding, and even appreciative.

But i do it anyway. Not for the people, but for me. To give back to the other devs that work so hard to make this hobby great and fall into the same trap I do over and over again.

You see, if I can help someone else by releasing something in my spare time, I'll do it because I love to help. Even if it serves no purpose for me personally.

If I can make my system operate better with my abilities, I'll share it. Even if no one seems to care. For every thanks you get, there's probably 50 you never hear.

If a user needs an enhancement to something I make to get it where they want it, i'll do it. Even if I'll never need it.

You just need to remind yourself that it's often a thankless job, but if people benefit, thats a huge reward in itself. ;)

/end psychobabble

• Like 2

Nice posts chaps. Returning with sober eyes, bit embarrassed by my rant, however - obviously strikes a cord. Helpful perspective Adultery - one-sided action in practice!

Now I'm gonna spend half an hour on more images... It'd be really nice to have others joining in the campaign, but I shall persist regardless....

(and oops - double apologies KRC - top fella, I shouldn't have named you - especially if yer toiling away at Evo goodies ;) )

:)

• Like 1

If only what I do could be measured in half hours...

I have written thousands upon thousands of lines of code for GameEx.... And I wouldn't take a single char back. I love what I do, and I love it here.

Although you probably don't hear it enough... I appreciate all contributions, especially when it's for the greater good and the support of the GameEx community. People like you are exactly the reason I feel like I could never turn my back on this community. Youre a needle in the hay stack, and a real asset in my book.

Projects like yours are exactly what drives me to continue, no matter how pissed off I get. There are a handful of people I would literally go to the ends of the earth for, even though I've never even met them. To me that's as huge a spoonful of gratitude I can offer anyone, both IRL and here. Frankly, I care about and respect more of my GameEx friends than anyone I know IRL... Sad as that may be.

Keep on keeping on. Youre a true inspiration to us all. :)

lol. Well, I wouldn't go that far ;) However, kudos to all you guys who toil relentlessly behind the scenes to add to a fantastically creative hobby.

**** Peanuts to NullPointer for adding some really good resources for sourcing images *****

849665_1.jpg

(You can find the resources on a separate sheet of the spreadsheet)

+1 to everything Adultery said. When I first officially became a member of this forum in '09 there were just the default themes and a handful beyond that to download and customize. I probably tried them all but was not satisfied. Theme creation was pretty much in limbo. Out of that frustration and the need to do something for myself, I picked up the tools I needed to create my own themes, logo packs, etc. My early themes were IMO craptacular to say the least, but some liked them and I soldiered on.

While my abilities are OK, I know there is other talent in our community that can do a helluva lot better than me. Mike (Adultery) and I got together and discussed a few things to try to get the community energized to create more interest in skinning this lovely beast we call GameEx and the Theme Competition was born of it with Tom's support and backing. It was slow going until the midnight hour of the competition deadline. We eventually more than tripled the number of themes available to the community as a result. Not all themes (from the time of the announcement of the contest to its conclusion) were contest entries. They were either inspired by entries to the contest or the flurry of activity surrounding. Regardless, the intended result was met.

I guess the point I am trying to make is the same as what Adultery said, You are that little light that continues to burn no matter what. You burn for yourself first, then you give back to the community. You do it for the love of what you do and, eventually, ignite other sparks of creativity over time, and they do so, on and on. If you are doing it for the glory or thanks, then you are going to find emptiness or resentment. Those things are the icing, but not the cake that nourishes you!

• Like 1

I like cake. :)

but but, the cake is a lie!

Remind me not to get on stigzler's bad side! :blink:

To say my graphic skills are limited, well would be a huge understatement, because they're non-existant.

I can however search as well as the next guy. I'm guessing this is going to become more and more difficult as it progresses. The low hanging fruit will be the first and easiest picks, while the obscure may perphaps boil down to alternative means, scans of cartirdegs/boxes etc., or maybe I'm looking at this entirely wrong. I'll browse the database and see if I can provide any value.

Welcome on board, tthurman!! Have a peanut :)

unsalted-peanuts-roasted-nuts-pinch.png

It's great yer willing to help out. Don't worry about the graphics thing - we also need "sourcers" i.e. "one who sources the best starting material for graphics processing."

I never thought of that... in fact I'll add a whole new category just for you :)

If you sign up via link on first page, I'll get you all set up.

The official first Sourcer. Thanks, chap! :)

heh. Damn my drunken posting last night!! Must have had me grump on.

Looks like you got the idea, tthurman - look forward to your signing up - you can then upload that original source to the shared dropbox folder.

Also, updated the pictures website to credit source providers :)

Hmmm... I have set up permissions against your email for the Contributors section of the Bitmap and Vector sections....

Try it again... if not, I'm wondering whether it needs to be a **** account to access?? I hope not.

btw:

**** Welcome Tthurman - the monster logo sourcer of GameEx!!! ****

I'm sure it was just me.

I registered using my personal mail server address, then when I got to the google login, I thought huh, and just used my gmail account since I already have that all set up.

so you had my permissionis set to my actual email address, but I logged into my existing @gmail.com address (which has no permissions)

had I thought it through I would've simply provided the gmail addy to begin with. Sorry for creating work for you!