All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[COMMUNITY PROJECT] Developer Logos Database

stigzler

post-14176-0-47820200-1407455056_thumb.pBanner2.pngpost-14176-0-36215800-1407455046_thumb.p

{Tthurman - King of the Sourcers} -- {Stigzler - Chief Nag and Despot} - {Draco - The Original Elvis}

The Developer Logos Project

> What's this??

Front Ends and the Emulation scene in general is getting bigger and bigger and the methods and systems running them flashier and flashier! Some Front-ends and plugins allow dynamic image display alongside holding huge databases of info for each game. This means that given the right resources, developer images can be displayed for each game alongside the standard screenshot, video, marquee and boxart.

Difficulty is that there is no full set of developer images anywhere. That is what this project's all about! You can see the progress to date, here:

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/logos

post-14176-0-42936500-1402765515_thumb.p

> What's the plan?

To have a full set of developer images available, named in a specific standard format. Two sets - one bitmaps, the other vectors. There may also be scope to extend this to other naming conventions at a later stage.

> Sounds easy - why don't you do it?

Well, there are 2,000 different developers. Each one involves sourcing an image, editing it and uploading it. By my calculations if 1 man did 1 per day - it'd take 7 years!!!!

> Ah, so where do we come in?

You, my friends can be part of an historic project that will be revered and lauded by the young bucks of today, when retro gaming is as big as original film reels and first editions in 20 years time!! You can also share in the jubilation of conquering the emulation equivalent of Everest. 100 of us could crack it in under a year :)

> Sounds good, I'm in - where do we start?

These images can be really hard to source! So, to start, the priority will be to try and get all the images against all the developers. Top quality (more on that later) would be preferable at the start, but the focus will be getting something against each developer.

This also needs tracking and co-ordination to make sure no-one's doubling up. We've developed a collaborative document on google docs for this purpose.

> Gimme an ABC of what I need to do...

A) Sign up to the project here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1R-f35bcO-gwyEEEc7zkDt5VvU0CmSoa6ba82BLYOP20/viewform?usp=send_form

* If you have a gmail or google account use this... it makes life much easier. If you haven't I really would recommend getting one. Despite all the criticism, I find google stuff really useful in this hobby!

Oh and don't worry - your email is in a separate, protected sheet - so no one will get it!

B ) Click the link on the email you receive to access the editable spreadsheet and also links to dropbox folders shared between the project members.

As a contributor, you'll be able to access the "Contributors" part of the document.

Also, I will send you three links to a dropbox space where you can upload your images....

As a contributor, there are 3 folders you can upload to:

Source - The unedited, original version of the image (best to save here once sourced on web to ensure it doesn't disappear for good!). Sometimes, all you can find is a boxart - that'll do to enable yourself or others to edit. Try and find the best quality (largest, crispest) source image you can. Failing that, anything will do, but it has to have some degree of fidelity to the original publisher.

Source Edited - Sometimes, with really obscure developers, original/pre-edited logos are hard to find. If you got the skills - you can upload lightly edited images here (e.g. if on boxart - logo cut and pasted, resized if small)

Pending Approval - These are for contributor-created logos from the source materials. Please see the guidance below on minimum requirements.

**HUGELY Important: make sure you your filename matches the text in the "Name" column exactly - including all symbols etc and do mind spaces - this is to preserve format. **

(I would suggest when you find your image > Save as > [change filename to the sheet entry before saving] > save directly to the relevant folder in the dropbox account)

C) Pick a developer and put your name against it -
This tells people that you are working on a specific logo. Choose from the dropdown (please only pick a few at once - no shotgunning logos for later!). Obviously, this holds other users from tackling that logo. If you're finding Sources, please return this to blank once finished.

Sheet_V2_1.png
(n.b. Picture is one of old version of sheet)

D) Work your sourcing/graphics magic trying to stick to the standards detailed further below.

You don't have to do both - at the moment, the priority is identifying and uploading all of the Source images. However, if you want to work on these and produce finals, that's also great :)

**AGAIN: make sure you your filename matches the text in the "Name" column exactly**

E) Upload your finished graphic/s

(To Source, Edited Source and/or For Approval)

This would be vastly preferred within the shared dropbox folders. This makes my administration tasks a hell of a lot easier.

E) Revisit the sheet and change the columns as appropriate.

Guide to this below:

Guide_sections.png

1 - Put your name here if you're working on a logo. If you're just sourcing logos - return this to blank once you have completed the sheet and uploaded the image/s.

2 - Identifies you as the Logo Sourcer.

3 - The interweb link that points to the original image source (wikipedia for e.g.)

4 - If uploaded to dropbox - put Y here

5 - If there are alternative versions available that you know of on the web - put Y. You can also put the other links in 3 (press return after first link)

6 - Edited version uploaded to dropbox? (Only upload to the Edited Source folder, please)

7 - If you're submitting a Final logo for approval - put your name here.

8 - Would really prefer these to be uploaded to the dropbox folder, but if not possible - place a link to your work here.

9 - If uploaded final version for approval to the dropbox folder - put Y here.

OH!! and notes - Try and put any general notes against the game name itself in column A (right click>Add Comment). This notes column is reserved for something (for what, I am not yet sure of! :/)

Rows in GREEN represent completed logos with a final version approved.

An example:

Guide_sections2.png

I have sourced a Yanoman Corporation logo, put the direct link in 3, uploaded it to dropbox. No alternative versions, but I did produced edited version and upload to the Edited Source dropbox folder (as indicated in 6). I also produced a Final version for approval and uploaded it to the Pending Approval folder.

F) That's it! We'll do the rest! :) :) :)

> What Happens then?

You can view the fruits of your labour, here:

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/logos

Final versions for Approval: Your pics will get graded from A to D. As I say, don't worry too much about this at the start. In time, once we have all pics done, we'll start reviewing pics and upgrading the final collection to the highest quality images (with the other versions still available under 'Alternatives' folders). But if you can, aim for the top on first go!!

Absolute requirements on Final Versions:

• Some images may be more horizontal in layout while others are more vertical. Resizing them to fit 800x600 specs, and ensure that the width is no more than 800 and height no more than 600. Please center within an 800x600 transparency.
  • Where logos are hard to source - up-scaling allowed, but please use good re-sampling algorithm.
  • Preservation of original logo - no modifications/effects (e.g. lighting/drop-shadow/bevels etc) apart from image enhancements (despeckle,cleanups etc)

Preferred aspects of Final Versions:

Here's the considerations, scaled from worst to best:

Up-scaled <----------------> No scaling
No Transparency <-------> Transparency
Raster/Bitmap <-----------> Vector
bmp, jpg <------------------> .png
Rough editing <-----------> Tidy editing (no white edges on magic-select; nicely anti-aliased)
Artifacts/speckle <--------> Smooth/sharp images

> What's in it for me?

Kudos, esteem and a free bag of peanuts. Oh, and eventual access to the complete collection of developer logos!
There's also a sheet on the document that gives contributor stats. Maybe we could think of a community prize for the top uploader?

> Don't forget:

• This is for newbs and pros alike! Don't be daunted - have a go! Sourcing is needed just as much as graphics prowess!
  • Filename, filename, filename.... it's gotta match the "Name" column exactly!
  • This is a project of faith. Let's hope for no vandalism.
  • We'll only get out what we put in.
  • To credit Draco1962 with the original idea and lots of work to get the ball rolling.

> What's the quickest way to work through sourcing images?

I've got it down to a fine art of couple of minutes (where logos easy to source!). Here's how:

Setup:

• Have your shared dropbox Source folder in your favorites.
  • Open all the sourcing resources in separate tabs in your browser.

Then:

1. Bring up sheet
  2. Copy game name (highlight>R Click>copy to ensure matches exactly)
  3. Bring up browser.
  4. Search for logo/source.
  5. Once have image up, R Click>save as.
  6. Choose the dropbox Source folder from your favourites
  7. In filename box, R Click>paste (pastes the game name)
  8. Save image
  9. R Click in the browser address bar - copy url
  10. Bring up sheet
  11. R Click in the URL column + paste the copied URL.
  12. Fill out the rest.

(looks long - but in practice very quick!)

Resources:

There's a resources tab on the sheet for you to add any good sites where to find logos.

Free Graphics Editors:
GIMP (Bitmaps): http://www.gimp.org/
Inkscape (Vectors): http://www.inkscape.org/en/

Free cloud stores:
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/home
GoogleDocs: https://docs.google.com

Now, go get your GIMP on and hack up some logos!

------------------------------

UPDATES:

11.6.14:

• Redesigned tracking sheet to include Source and For Approval images
  • Set up Shared Folder in dropbox for collaborative space for image upload.
  • Few changes in guide.

14.6.14:

21.6.14:

• Some updates to sheets.
  • Some updates to website
  • Some updates to this OP. :)
  • Like 6

Just wanted to pip in here.

One thing Headkaze and I had talked about was having developer/publisher images so these could be displayed in gamex instead of text.

The only problem is that to get the publisher I has to use the database (this is for all systems) and our publisher names are bound to differ.

But... A great idea all the same.

I will post a list of all the names that we use at some point after more database work (these are currently in progress).

Cheers Flash.

When started this, used the devel names from the db3 files. Then null pointed me this way, and I downloaded the excel list posted by Draco:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/11857-logos-manufacturer-logos-project/?p=93857

I did a quick check - the names seemed to match those in the db3 file. Would these match?

An updated list would be great - thanks.

Lastly, yeah - that was part of my thinking - whether images matched to the GE format could be used in the GE frontend instead. Don't know what's planned for Evo - but the ability to put 'dynamic' images on pages through a new theme editor would be wizard!

Cheers chap.

No worries. I will send an updated list at some point. Lots changes over time and as more games are added, more developers and publishers appear on the list. So, it is constantly EVOlving.

Also, just to add my thoughts. One thing I prefer, when picking a logo on a publisher with lots of logo revisions, is to choose the oldest and most retro. Mainly because it floats my boat reminiscing and that's part of what all this great emulation is about.

• Like 2

I hope and pray that the publisher, developer etc. stuff, becomes their own category in GE Evolution and that they are not placed in the menue anymore, that would be a relief for any serious 4:3 theme creation. Even the approach of DB-Guru greatflash, would be a better option, than the current state of the navigation-menue.

By the way greatflash, is there any database-stuff, where i could help? i know that you are busy, but give me a pm, i would really like to help out.

I think for right now, the focus of the project is for participating GameEx member to gather the best logo images possible. Having multiple images due to changes by the dev, publisher, or manufacturer is OK and, for the scope of this project, preferred - the end user can decide whiich they prefer in their setup.

The first logo should probably lefault with subsequent logos named with (YYYY) at the end of the filename whenever possible - example ABC Corp(1989).png or ABC Corp(atl).png , ABC Corp(alt1).png ABC Corp (alt2), etc when a date cannot be easily established and there are more than one image available.

As for functionality of menu options - while somewhat connected, will request that further complaint or requests for changes be placed in the correct forum thread as this can easily go further off topic than the comments made already. B)

All good points.

My aim is to have one folder for final versions all named exactly the same as the dev name. This way users can just drag and drop the folder without having to amend names etc to match the ge format. Will do an alt folder for other versions.

Ta for your ongoing interest.

That is an excellent idea! BTW, I have signed-up this morning. Thanks again for breathing new life into this project as it will be another great contribution to GameEx and the retrogaming community overall!

[edit - forgot my manners in a rush!!] - thanks Draco! And it's a community project originally started by you.

Update:

Put a notes field in for the graders and approvers.

BTW - Massive shout out to Draco, KRC and Null - from reviewing the logos that were already completed - they have done loads! Draco - not sure all the ones you've done are on the spreadsheet you started - it's up to you, but do you fancy putting the others on the current sheet, to ensure other users don't duplicate your excellent/hard work on these?

P.S. - you've been a good contributor, UMan! Do you fancy helping out with this too? :P <Shameless pitch :)

Update - about 20 more logos added. All uploaded onto the FTP site. Some examples:

post-14176-0-61918200-1402263566_thumb.ppost-14176-0-90044500-1402263566_thumb.ppost-14176-0-94951400-1402263567_thumb.ppost-14176-0-30670900-1402263568_thumb.ppost-14176-0-96096800-1402263568_thumb.ppost-14176-0-80271800-1402263569_thumb.p

Once you find yer rhythm - it doesn't take too long. It's also quite geek-out fun too - coming across all those old software houses you forgot about!!

Cummon GE supporters - jump on board and add to the resource!!

Would be great to see others posting some exmaples of their efforts!

:)

• Like 1

Sad News when trying to edit the spreadsheet! :(

Access denied
You no longer have permission to access this document, so your changes can't be saved. If you believe this is an error, contact the document owner. If your access is restored, you will be able to continue working.

Hmmm... I had a feeling this collaborate google docs thing wouldn't be as simple as it made out to be!

But... thanks for starting, null!! I got 3 entries of yours on the sheet (see you're starting at the bottom and working up! One day meetings will occur in the middle! :) )

Hmm - not sure what's going on there - there are some columns protected (first two for yourself and Draco - to stop accidental alteration of the names) - but the others you should be able to edit just fine.

Try it again at some point - I also logged a thing with google docs cos kept getting an error (think it's a firefox issue, as chrome doesn't have the issue). Maybe they're tapping a few nuts or something...

thanks again, and look forward to seeing your contributions :)

It's still giving me the Access Denied thing, but it looks like you can see my edits anyway? Any hoo I updated with a few other images and links. Currently I'm uploading unaltered images, although some of these will likely need to be edited (in order to lift images off solid backgrounds and whatnot ...).

I was at a trade conference yesterday, and attended a workshop titled Designing on a Team (although the actual content of the workshop was not perfectly described by the title, it was informative enough). At any rate one point the presenter made was that you should never make destructive edits to your layers during the design process. I think that applies here insofar as I think it might be good to preserve any source images prior to "improvements" being made. That way someone would be free to come along later and make their own "improvements" to the source file if they saw fit to do so.

Oh hey there also seems to be some invalid characters in the spreadsheet that may have gotten hosed somewhere. See the Broderbund entry as an example: Brøderbund Software. That may cause some headaches with file name matching later on down the road, but I'm not terribly troubled by it at the moment.

So I've kind of been bouncing around a bit in terms of sourcing logos for obscure developer/publishing houses and finding more common ones. After searching for rare and obscure logos sometimes you need to take a break and go for an easy take down!

At any rate when dealing with the obscure one-off types of developers and publishing houses it is sometimes necessary to make a judgement call that what you've found is actually the same developer listed in the spreadsheet. Take Zombie Panic Team for example which is one of the very last items on the current spreadsheet. Based on the evidence that they only released one game, I'm going to go out on a limb to guess that this actually refers to the team that made the Zombie Panic Half-Life 2 mod. It's a bit of a stretch based on the fact that the development team for that mod is not a well established incorporated development house, but the mod did receive a relatively high degree of popularity.

At any rate, my point is that particularly where we're talking about obscure developer / publishers with extremely low output it may come down to some guess work as to veracity and authenticity of logo (or indeed whether the submitted logo is even a match to the developer listed in the spreadsheet). I think that some of this verification will take place during review, but it might be worth putting it out for peer review (as I've done here with Zombie Panic Team) in situations which even the actual identity of the developer is in question. Hopefully this can save a bit of time during the acceptance review as well.

Any general thoughts on this? Does this add too much process for submitters?

After searching for rare and obscure logos sometimes you need to take a break and go for an easy take down!

Heh - it can be a little onerous can't it!

Based on the evidence that they only released one game, I'm going to go out on a limb to guess that this actually refers to the team that made the Zombie Panic Half-Life 2 mod. It's a bit of a stretch based on the fact that the development team for that mod is not a well established incorporated development house, but the mod did receive a relatively high degree of popularity.

This raises a good point. When first started doing this - used the GE db3 files - which, of course, had the game/s listed next to the developer (started on a per-system basis). However, with the present list (haven't looked @ flash's updated list yet) - you loose this, of course - just getting the number of games by the developer.

The other thing about this is that one way I found to source the more obscure logos was to find the game + then do a search for the boxart or other gfx. Then, if of sufficient size and quality you can grab the logo from that...

Hmmm... how to cross reference the developer name with the games? Feels like need database queries for that.

Also, null - I totally agree with your point about source vs amended/presented. I do think it would be good to have one folder containing the 'final' processed/presented logos; but we also need to preserve the source materials (a lot of which is sat round on my local drive). How about:

Include a folder called "Source" for those unprocessed images, whilst preserving the file structure as is? That way - users can optionally upload the source if they want too. I want to be careful not to make the process too long winded to achieve the first stage which is getting something against each developer (heh @ "first stage" - there's only 3 of us at the moment!)

Still worried a bit about the ftp system. Think I'll message Tom and see if any folders can be set to read-only for the majority of users - and set the "Final Versions" folder to this. Than could also have a "pending approval" folder for user contribs.

Lastly, good point, Draco - there is a notes field in there at the moment - maybe we could put any details like this in there?

Cheers chaps.

OK - total overhaul! See first post for updates.

Gonna get stuck in at some point to matching up all the logos already available to the names on the list.....

But, whoo-hooo - we've gone from 5,000 developers to 2,000!!!

Cummon folks - sign up and help out. We've got a Massive grand total of 3 of us at this so far.... :blink:

So - you a giver or a taker? :P

• Like 1