tthurman

Toddzilla

121 posts in this topic

+1 to Windows 10 aka What 8/8.1 should have been. Kind of reminds me of the Vista/7 comparisons, although I have to admit to having no issues with Vista or 8 that were difficult to overcome. 

I agree, but while Vista could be learned, it continues to be a resource hog!  I've been using 10 since launch, just not on my GameEx rig:D

I agree with you as well. 7 was the end result of the Vista experiment. I think that power and memory managment has come a long way since Vista and is much improved in 10.

In what's sure to be a slow series of progression steps, I've officially started the next phase of my rig.  The move to the new house has not only delayed any sort of progress, but has left me with a much reduced foot print to work with.  In continuing with my incorporation of relay rack frames, ToddZilla will now transition into a mutant showcase cabinet.  I broke out the old trusty Atlas mic stand and paint over the weekend to get these parts ready before it's to cold to work on them, and with any luck I should be able to finish up this coming weekend.

I'm going to re-purpose a Ortronics 6" channel relay rack for this upright portion of the project, and fashion a mounting plate for the main display to attach to via this mount (hopefully).  I'm really wanting to have to option for rotating the screen, but the display could dictate otherwise.  I know a lot of you are probably thinking "WTH", but I'm fairly confident that upon completion, the whole package will come together nicely.

RR sides.JPG

RR top and bottom.JPG

Man that looks huge! 

Loving the way you're working on a public road, too - how do explain what you're making? :)

That last photo looks totally Blair Witch. :)

Do you think at some point you could compile a components list with links and costs for each? I'm sure that we could piece one together going through the thread but it would go a long way helping others interested in starting their own builds.

Not possible, all this stuff is way old for the most part.  The telco rack stuff I saved from the dumpster back in the early 2000's when the ISP I worked for closed up shop.  Never thought I'd be building this out of them, I can tell you that.  The rack above that I just started painting, I had been using for the last 15 years to hold my home server and networking equipment.  At one point I had a SETI farm setup in it :lol:

I actually hammered out the majority of the logo's I found during the logo project using the computer housed in it during it's most recent configuration, but when I got in the new house lack of space dictated insufficient room for such multiple PC setups.  So here it was about to spend the foreseeable future in the attic, when the idea of re-purposing it for a showcase stand hit me.  Basically no different than the rest of my Frankenstein build. 

No matter how this rig turns out, it'll be one of a kind :D

On 11/29/2015 at 9:53 AM, tthurman said:

It will be quite the contraption when it's done, a mutant between an control panel stand and pincab w/o a back-glass. My 40" Sammy will be the back-glass, and the play-field is going to be supported by a circa 1960's table stand with the pinball X flippers as the base.

Tablebase.jpg

This isn't my table, but it's a similar model, I've just robbed the base off of it. I retired it to storage many years ago, but when the "X" idea hit me.....I'm sure you can see where I'm going with the PBX logo.

Nothing exciting here, but the table base was quite beat up after nearly 50 years....so I started polishing it last week.  Yeah, er no....far to gone for a simple polish job.  So today I started a multi part sanding process this afternoon, with the first step being 400 grit to remove the majority of the deep scars as a result of  years of use.

Pedestal base.JPG

<edit>  FWIW the base is aluminum, and was not only beat up by years of chairs banging into it (chairs which had a reduced size of the same base), but also had tons of ground in oxidation.  If you're ever looking for a method to clean cast aluminum, a little hint I picked up on some motocross forums was to use "Shout", and yes, that is the laundry stain removal variant.  Amazing is all I can tell you.  I was using brown bar on a high speed buffer and only able to achieve perhaps 1/10 of what Shout and some super fine steal wool did in about twenty minutes.

Edited by tthurman

Looks funky. Be nice if you could preserve that 'brushed' finish.

I've been letting the paint cure on the frame, and since it has turned to cold to do anything outside, I finally got off my butt and put it back together.

Reassembled frame.JPG

My god - it's a behemoth!

1 person likes this

I agree..  When I built my server, I wanted to get it up off the floor.  I needed a rack.  But I can't, for the life of me, understand the benefits of a 2-post rack like that.  The only chance I would use something like that is if I had it mounted in a wall or something.  I needed to go with a 4-post rack to support the weight of the case and drives front and back.  I guess a rack's design meets the requirements of it's intended usage.

:blush:  It's a showcase design, and granted I'm a bit uncertain with how it's going to turn out.

Take this for example:

showcase example.jpg

....but spread the CP and display apart, along with that add a 7 degree upward tilt to hold a pinball play-field, and you'll get somewhat of an idea of what I'm going for.  The stand will hold the MAME display (which will serve double duty as a back glass), and an ips monitor DMD.  I'll use the extra height for "other" things.  I'm very restricted on horizontal space, so this is my idea......well, at least for now.

This was my idea all along, albeit on a much shorter scale, but the two post rack only came into play after I moved into a much smaller room after our move over the summer.

13 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

I needed to go with a 4-post rack to support the weight of the case and drives front and back.

Two, two post racks can be placed independently with a 36" fixed mount shelf (or two) to achieve the same effect without the need for a four post frame.  Without a proper rail kit, the four poster doesn't offer you any benefit over a two post style anyway, as all the weight pressures the front rails only.  Four post frames and cabinets aren't all their cracked up to be, but instead are space hogs, and a huge PITA to work within with side panels and doors.

<edit> Something like this with a good shelf would hold about anything.

Edited by tthurman

Muwahah!!!  Different brand, same 4-post rack!  That's completely identical to the one I have.  It works great.  The server chassis is 4-U, and those are 15-U racks.  I did get a cantilever shelf for it to basically hold the chassis. It's not that much of a space hog, nor a PITA with castors on the bottom.  In fact, I have it currently wheeled into my bedroom closet.  :)

After a long hiatus due to the move, I'm starting to make some progress finally.

I've built a base for the rack that I posted up a couple posts, which will serve as my showcase stand.  Although there is still some work to do here, it's taking shape pretty well.

I had a couple left over Kichler lamp poles from a construction project back in 2005, which gave me an idea!  These have holes for photocells, and cross bars, which will allow for running wire inside of the 3" cavity.  I'm not sure yet exactly what I'm going to do, but was sorta eyeing this up for some future lighting effects, or perhaps speakers.

IMG_2587.JPG

I made some outriggers for them, to give them a sort of "socket" to fit into, and cut the upper half at 45 degrees. I've still need to cut the base to fit around my playfield base, and of course veneer and urethane.

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

I've also cut the boards that will serve as the mounting plates for the displays.

2 hours ago, tthurman said:

I've built a base for the rack that I posted up a couple posts, which will serve as my showcase stand.  Although there is still some work to do here, it's taking shape pretty well.

IMG_2587.JPG

This sooo belongs on some other site somewhere..... What goes on behind the closed doors of middle class America... :P

Good to see progress on this, T. There was a guy called Rolf Harris who used to do painting and would regularly ask "can you tell what it is yet?" Your build reminds me of that!

:huh:

What site should it be on, and what am I missing abut this guys painting?  The fact he's calling it a painting?

Lol. I won't go into the former. Wonder if anyone else sees it...

As regards Rolf's painting, you could never tell what he was constructing until the very end, where it would all come together and it'd be awesome!

Pretty sure I know where you're headed with this.....:ph34r:

I'm at a loss and not sure I even want to know:huh: