tthurman

Toddzilla

Finally, some progress towards the Star Wars yoke.

The Star Wars controller is the first step of my creation, as I need it finished to determine the height of the pedestal. The pedestal will serve as sort of a dock for differnt control panels.

I purchased a used yoke and panel last summer, and thought I would never get the old artwork off of them. Once I did, the process of building around the control panel quickly became somewhat of a challenge.

I don't have this part:

post-8419-0-97688700-1401383288_thumb.jp

First I had to bang out some damage:

post-8419-0-82755800-1401383512_thumb.jp

After several failed concepts, I decided to just make it out of 3/4 shelving. I made the most troublesome cuts last night, and while it may not look like much, it was a real bitch cutting a 120 degree angle for this. The board had to be vertically oriented, cut at 30 degrees to cut this angle. For testing purposes on scrap, we used a sled along the fence to prevent it from falling into the blade.

post-8419-0-95754100-1401383580_thumb.jp

post-8419-0-73329600-1401383677_thumb.jp

post-8419-0-23658100-1401383717_thumb.jp

Still more cutting to do, but this at least got some of the more difficult cuts out of the way.

<edit> I know this will liekly progress slowly, but thought I may as well go ahead and start documenting it as I go.

• Like 3

The yoke itself is pretty much ready to reconstruct, but I do need to source some steering bumpers. playa, over at Coinopspace mentioned that he used packing nuts for this, so I'll have to make a run to the plumbing store here soon.

post-8419-0-50269100-1401385722_thumb.jp

When finished, I intend to be able to swap the above panel, with this one:

post-8419-0-93088400-1401385881_thumb.jp

post-8419-0-65009500-1401385924_thumb.jp

It's looking fantastic tthurman! Nice job on those precision cuts. Stuff like that is always nerve wracking. I'm looking forward to see how this progresses. Keep us posted!

Can't wait to see how this one turns out, although wait is probably what i will have to do :P

and... and... and....

STAR WARS YOLK!

homer_dribble_zpscfc132f0.jpg

• Like 1

This will be a pretty unconventional design, no coin doors etc, it's really going to be more of a industrial looking media center stand. I plan to cut some old 2 post comm rack rails down, and attach them to the wood sides. I will install a rack mount sliding shelf for the keyboard/mouse, and shelving that can be adjusted as needs warrant.

For this reason, the rig running things will not be hidden, and so it went into a HTPC case.

Through my various hardware changes I found myself wishing this case were bigger, but after installing the downstairs one, discovered that any deeper, and it likely wouldn't fit in most entertainment stands. Even though its about the size of a standard AVR, keeping good air flow resulted in a lot of cable management, it's tight in there with a ATX board and full size video card.

post-8419-0-14939200-1401475745_thumb.jp

post-8419-0-65936200-1401476028_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Nice SilverStone case! I'm a sucker for brushed aluminum cases (and the "hidden" benefit of the heat dissipation properties they provide! ;)). When I looked at the first pic I thought it might be a Lian Li (which is what I run), but was quickly proven wrong in the second pic.

I love seeing big ol' honkin' CPU coolers wedged into HTPC cases. The very definition of a sleeper! (Yes ... I'm an odd person insofar as what gives me a thrill ... :))

I'm using that 17" Accer to use for configuring everything. When time allows, I can just spin around and hit a lick or two, which is nice, but I can't wait to get it hooked up to the 40". I tried my best to do a round of SW with the keyboard, but it just ain't happening!

Future Pinball and Visual Pinball are next up, but as is so often the case, I underestimated them, and apparently need pinmame or something else. They may not look great on 16 x 9, but I want to at least give it a go. If they don't I'll buiild a playing field extension for my stand, <EDIT> someday.

Made a little dent in the control panel assembly tonight. This thing has been tough to piece together, as it's just so awkward to handle it while it's unmounted to get any sort of measurements. I've gone through several patterns and ideas, only to scrap them for something completely different in an attempt to simplify it.

I'm attempting to make the yoke the same height as the arcade, and since it's interchangeable with my regualar CP, I need to drop it down slightly. My idea is to build a base that does this, and use right and left panels to conceal it once it is mounted. I'm not sure these pictures depict this very well.

post-8419-0-99597700-1406814502_thumb.jp

The board mounted to the top of the base plate will serve as a strain relief when the panel is hinged down for service, which hopefully will not be often, but this thing is heavy.

post-8419-0-94372300-1406814526_thumb.jp

I made the hinge panel to securely attach to both the base, and strain relief.

post-8419-0-72346500-1406814545_thumb.jp

Finally, it's starting to take shape. I know it doesn't look like much now, but I've only had a couple hours a week to mess with it, and along the way I've had some unexpected RL issues pop up that have made it challenging to focus on someting as trivial as an arcade panel. Hopefully tonights accomplishments will give me some motivation.

<edit> useless pics removed in favor of higher res pics

• Like 1

Not mine, but this is where the magic happens! :D

Woodworking is a hobby I've always enjoyed, as it is for a good friend of mine, whose shop is in these pictures. Long ago, 28 or so years ago, we did this stuff in his crawlspace shop. SInce then, that house was demolished upon completeion of the new one he built. For certain this represented a move up, and I have completed numerous projects in this shop, solid oak stairs, risers and rails with suspended shoe rails was probably my largest single project, and one I won't soon revisit. Shelving, speaker stands, furniture restoration etc., and now arcade control panels :D , are by far more the norm.

Around 11 years ago one of our other friends decided to build a butcher block table, which was quite involved. "The Board" was born from this project, and we all congregate once a week for "board meeting". It's a good release, and some nights we have guest's that show up needing help, and we all pitch in on their project. Not necessarily a recipe for quick project completion, but a healthy environment to build one I think!

• Like 1

A Board meeting. I'm assuming an intentional pun? :)

Yep, for sure! :lol:

Moving this to my build thread for cohesiveness:

Due to the rest of the design, I'm restricted on the width of the center opening. This is a case of "bringing home the office" so to speak. It won't make sense if I try and write it out, so I will detail the main parts Toddzilla will consist of in hopes you can get a mental image of the basic appearance of what it will look like finished, and why I need that left/right extra rigidity.

I've got two of the below:

post-8419-0-83172500-1409169020_thumb.jp

From these 7' relay racks, I will cut the four main rails to achieve 4 rails, each for a total length of 32.25, in order to achieve the ideal control panel height (for me) once mounted to the plywood base. The slender cross sections pictured at the top of the imagine will be used, but only 1 a the top and 1 at bottom on the outward side only, where they will screw into the pedestal base through a pre-drilled hole. This will ensure exact 19" telecom rack spacing. The 4 rails will screw into 3/4 birch plywood to create the right and left sides of the cab. Basically a cut down 4 post open relay rack, encased on all but two sides. This will offer some stability, but not enough, hence the flared back boards, that will really serve as a sort of outrigger support.

my sliding shelf will mount directly onto the rails, first up under the CP.

post-8419-0-91451100-1409169027_thumb.jp

Below I will have 2U cantilevered shelving for my HTPC, XBOX, PS3 (maybe) and the sub for my 2.1 channel. These can mix and match, some mounted to the front rails, with the option to also mount them from the rear, if needed.

post-8419-0-09213900-1409169041_thumb.jp

The flared rear panels will allow me that side to side strength, while at the same time retaining that wider top and bottom look I'm aiming for. The interior railing and modular shelving will give me flexibility, as all my shelving will be moveable at any time, as opposed to fixed positions. All this, and the front and back are completely open to allow optimal airflow to keep everything nice and cool. Cable management is something I do all the time, so I'm not worried about unsightly cables, they will be will hidden, and mostly unnoticeable.

• Like 1

I tell ya, just keeping routine homeowner duties current seems to rob nearly all my time, but yesterday I took the day off and did a little prep work on my stand. My hope is I can get enough of the metal parts cut and painted to allow me to work on the main base over the cold months.

Bring on the miter saw :D

post-8419-0-02272400-1410789014_thumb.jp

40 tooth, carbide tip + aluminum = pretty decent edge :P

post-8419-0-61198000-1410789185_thumb.jp

Took a little more time than normal, but when I mentioned cutting metal products during shop night I got a "why don't you try that at home first". Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the results! :)

post-8419-0-21539700-1410789293_thumb.jp

• Like 1

It's been several of those dreary, rainy days in East Tennessee that just makes you want to be lazy, so I set up my rig on the temp stand I put together. Still have some work to do on the the controllers, but been getting a little FX2 time in, and looks quite nice in 1080P :P

post-8419-0-42177800-1413049021_thumb.jp

Picked up a 2.1 set of Yamaha speakers off ebay, that sound great. I didn't want to have to turn on surround sound just for arcade games.

post-8419-0-92261400-1413049119_thumb.jp

Believe it or not, this is clean for my room :blush:

• Like 1