All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Real DMD support is here!

Hi mpad,

videos for RealDMD with PinDMD should follow these rules: http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/14608-real-dmd-support-is-here/page-4#entry124908

I had a quick look on the FX2 vidoes on ftp, they have a much higher resolution not suitable for 128x32 PinDMD and are intended to play on a 3rd screen LCD.

Full colour could be the next problem, real DMD videos should be b&w grayscale.

As I don't have FX2 on my cab (I prefer the old fashioned original tables in VP) I'm afraid that I could not really help.

Hi mpad,

videos for RealDMD with PinDMD should follow these rules: http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/14608-real-dmd-support-is-here/page-4#entry124908

I had a quick look on the FX2 vidoes on ftp, they have a much higher resolution not suitable for 128x32 PinDMD and are intended to play on a 3rd screen LCD.

Full colour could be the next problem, real DMD videos should be b&w grayscale.

As I don't have FX2 on my cab (I prefer the old fashioned original tables in VP) I'm afraid that I could not really help.

OK thanks. Found your other thread later and saw that you use virtualdub.

As I am a total noob to this you don't happen to have a setting profile to share or sth? Are further plugins needed? I tried to open mp4 fiiles but it didn't work.

EDIT: mp4 because I also have access to the nukelauncher media files which are in good quality. Somehow virtualdub can't process them.

OK thanks. Found your other thread later and saw that you use virtualdub.

As I am a total noob to this you don't happen to have a setting profile to share or sth? Are further plugins needed? I tried to open mp4 fiiles but it didn't work.

EDIT: mp4 because I also have access to the nukelauncher media files which are in good quality. Somehow virtualdub can't process them.

Yes, you need plugins for VD. For .fv4 files I installed a plugin called "FLV.vdplugin" (Don't ask me, from where I got it). Maybe there are also plugins for .mp4 availabe somewhere.

What are "nukelauncher media files" ?

Maybe they are better suited as the .fv4 files on the ftp. These .fv4 are "pixelated". They simulate "dark" pixels on the LCD as dots with low intensity, whereas on the RealDMD they should be really black. So this confuses the resize algorithm in the PinDMD2 (and also the resize filter in VD) so in the end this will be transformed to gray pixels or areas on the RealDMD.

So it's the same problem as with your camera videos: if original captures are bad, you will never get a good movie in the end :(

Iguess it is zens original dmd then. It is no real dot matrix but more or less a black grid overlay which changes size. So no easy way to get it clean. Pindmd does quite a good job then.

I'll trz to play with some filters and settings, maybe i can get some better results.

Nukelauncher is a launcher app for pinball fx and soon tpa to use with pinballx. Very nice! Jeff here in the forum programmed it and if you donate he provides a media pack (only for fx2) which is quite nicely sorted.

Had some good results converting to 256x64 greyscale and upping contrast. Still look a bit shabby, but no more big distortions.
It is definitely the source with the fake dmd effect. Now that I look at it it is really cheaply done by zen.
No wonder they don't want to support real dmd output. They would have to redo all the animations.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that after I had no luck with virtual dub I used any video converter AVC free. nice and convinient little programm. you can't apply global effects to several batch files yet, but maybe the devs listened to my support request. so you have to go file by file.

Hey All

For people using Pinball FX2 with a "Real DMD" setup I have created a new - Real DMD Media pack including Real DMD images for every table along with real DMD Videos for every table.

RealDMD.gif

Please Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.nukelaunc...item.asp?iid=37

Thank you Sigma415 and MPad your info on how to do this and make it look good. You helped make this possible.

Jeff / Time299

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Real DMD Video for "Freddy A Nightmare on Elm Street (Gottlieb 1994)"

Also uploaded to FTP server (Other Uploads/sigma415/...)

post-24182-0-03381600-1423403746_thumb.g

(Click on GIF above for preview animation.)

Copy AVI file from ZIP into "C:\PinballX\Media\Visual Pinball\Real DMD Videos\"

Freddy A Nightmare on Elm Street (Gottlieb 1994) REAL DMD VIDEO 1.0 sigma415.zip

• Like 1

Real DMD Video for "Barb Wire (Gottlieb 1996)"

post-24182-0-12602700-1423409665_thumb.g

If somebody could help me with an updated FS VPT (better than the rotated VP8 table) I would be glad :)

Barb Wire (Gottlieb 1996) REAL DMD VIDEO 1.0 sigma415.zip

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Real DMD Video for "Baywatch (Sega 1995)"

post-24182-0-52194400-1428344737_thumb.g

Sorry, this one is not so nice as the other Real DMD videos, cause it's one example of Sega's extended 192x64 DMD's, which don't really fit to our 128x32 PinDMD.

Myself and VirtualDub's resize filters tried to do our best ....

Baywatch (Sega 1995) REAL DMD VIDEO 1.0 sigma415.zip

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...