All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Real DMD support is here!

• 3 weeks later...

Real DMD Video for "24 (Stern 2009)"

post-24182-0-42360100-1405872703_thumb.g

Click on GIF above for preview animation.

This DMD animation is not purely authenic.

Because the original ROM sequence did never show the table name "24" I tuned it up a little bit and inserted a homebrewed animated 24 logo.

I also started to make my own sequences for other non-DMD tables like "Fire!" and "F-14 Tomcat" using on-board tools Gimp, Powerpoint and Virtualdub.

Please let me know, if you like such kind of improvements :)

24 (Stern 2009) REAL DMD VIDEO 1.1.zip

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

These are great! Thanks so much. I've been looking for just static wheel images for the pindmd2 but these vids are so much better! Thanks for all your hard work.

Any reason why I can't download them off the FTP site. I can access the site and see your folder and files but get access denied when I attempt to download? (Using forum login and pass). I've downloaded them from this thread instead (although I can't download your static ones as you haven't linked those here).

Also, There is a 'visual pinball' video that was in another thread that I'm trying to track down for use as default with the non segmented digit display tables until some table specific static images are available. Does anyone know where I can get that? I'm not keen on the default Pinballx dmd video as it is too 'distracting' with it's letter zooming. Need something a bit more subtle.

Thanks again for your great contributions!

• Like 1

Just thought of an idea.

I cut the manufacturer logos out of the existing videos and will use those as a placeholder for those non-dmd tables that don't yet have a static wheel image for them. I've also started removing the manufacturer logo from the videos for the DMD tables so that the name of the table shows first rather than the manufacturer.

This way all the DMD tables start playing the name of the table as soon as you switch to them and all the non-DMD table simply show the manufacturer logo.

I used a free mac app (for those on mac) called VideoPad which made the process really easy to extract the manufacturer frames.

Hi xzotic,

good to see that someone else is also creating goodies for our Real DMD's :)

Any reason why I can't download them off the FTP site. I can access the site and see your folder and files but get access denied when I attempt to download? (Using forum login and pass

1.) I think this is due to the new "Enhanced Forum Access and FTP" rules.

.... Basic Member - 15MB Upload space. FTP upload only ...

Read more about here and think about spending some beers to PBX ;)

2.) I will attach the static DMD pictures I have created, but I'm not really confident with them (even it was a lot of pixel work with GIMP)

3.) If you like you can read some more informations about my Real DMD method some post above Post_#29

4.) I'm still struggling with the DMD videos of tables with segmented LED displays. I captured them also from the screen with VirtualDub, but VPinMAME sends them to the screen with a lowest resolution of 194x41. I did not find a way to configure VPinMAME to show them smaller, only larger will be possible.

Simply resizing and cropping them to 128x32 does look really bad. I also tried capturing the with resolutions of multiples of 128x32 but the math problem of getting "half pixels" remains.

Anyway I will also attach the resulting (bad looking) videos.

Maybe you or someone else has another idea. :rolleyes:

Real DMD Images.zip

Segment_LED_videos.zip

Hi Sigma,

Thanks for the info on the Ftp etc. I'll look at the info again and make the donation if need be...

Do you have any issues with me uploading the modified versions I have done of your work? Basically my set has the manufacturer logos removed at the start of each video so that when you switch to a table the name of the table shows straight away rather than the manufacturer. This seems a bit better when you flick quickly between tables on the front end although I realise that may be a personal preference. There were also a couple that had a few erroneous frames that I removed (like fish tales that had a blank frame causing it to blink when it repeats). Also I have extracted a set of just the logos for those that may want them. Let me know if you are Ok with me releasing these modified versions back to the community. Alternatively I'm happy to send them to you direct and you can release as a variation if you want?

I had a look at your latest real dmd and segmented images and I think they look great. I don't think you really have to go overboard on the quality as it is always going to be difficult given the res on DMD. As long as there is something that ties in the table then I think it would well.

For the static images are you using wheel images and reducing them down in GIMP? If so what settings are you using? Ie: Colour depth etc. I usually use photoshop or pixelmator (mac) but I do have gimp on my cab and could look at attempting to convert wheel images for the old non-DMD tables if I know the settings to reduce them down to. Any help would be great.

• Like 1

Hi xzotic,

Do you have any issues with me uploading the modified versions I have done of your work?

No problem, you can upload your modified by yourself.

If you want, you can send one, some or all in advance to me for some kind of "review", but this is up to you, I'll send you a PM with my mail address.

The DMD videos in my pack#1 are originally by Gregzkij (see post here, also on the FTP under pipshag) and were created as 256x64 color (orange) videos for DMDs on LCD screens.

So they do not fully follow Tom's recommendations (no black lines between pixels, 128x32)

Fortunately XDMD (or Russ' firmware in PinDMD2) transforms them perfectly to the 128x32 Real DMD pixels, so that left them in 256x64 and did only the conversion to grayscale. (also with VDub)

Starting with pack #2 all my videos are captured in generic 128x32 and grayscale directly from VPinMame and cropped and edited/cut in VirtualDub. Some are in MP4 format, but the only reason was better compression = smaller file size.

EDIT: Normally I use "Microsoft Video 1" AVI codec.

For the static images are you using wheel images and reducing them down in GIMP? If so what settings are you using? Ie: Colour depth etc

Yes in GIMP (or any other graphics editor program).

I used 4bit grayscale and ideally 128x32 pixels. But also other/higher pixel sizes are perfectly resized by XDMD/PinDMD2.

BTW: Did you see the commandline tool Tom made for me ?

This is a excellent help for testing the videos and static pictures.