All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Video out of range message

DarkStar

So I recently purchased a Mame machine put together by Dream Authentics. It was running fine until I decided to upgrade from XP to Win 7. When I plugged it back in to the cab, which is running a crt monitor, it shows a scrambled screen and an error message stating out of range. I'm sure this is something very simple to fix in the video settings or NVIDIA control panel. Any Ideas??

E

I've tried that and still getting over range message. It works fine on a flat panel screen so I connected it and brought it all the way down as far as refresh and resolution go. No change. the compaq splash screen looks good but then it scrambles.

I think those machines use a real arcade monitor. That is probably your issue as they run at a different frequency. Maybe they use Ultimarc ArcadeVGA cards. Not sure. but I doubt it will run above 640x480. You will also want to configure custom resolutions to get the most of it unless it has an arcadevga card. Perhaps look into GroovyMAME. Your fortunate to have picked one up as there one of the few makers who use a real arcade monitor. It is an awesome bit of kit. Make sure you setup the cab to make the most of it.

• Like 1

Hey Guys thanks for the responses. I hate to change front ends, I really like your game ex Tom. It worked before I updated to win 7 so I'm gonna keep trying. Perhaps back up the driver to the previous version. I'll also look into the video card. It's just hard because I can't make heads or tails of the screen since its scrambled. Gonna try to hook up the flat panel and the crt on a different video card...

I'll keep you guys informed. I'm pretty excited as this is an awesome cabinet...

Update. I was able to boot with advanced boot options. This gave me the opportunity to boot with low res settings. I am able now to see windows boot up and can double click GameEx icon. However, I have changed display settings to what works. Next question is regarding mame. I downloaded and installed MAME 64 and let game ex update it's list of roms. Now It boots directly to a mame screen. My eye candy theme does not come up any more. Any thoughts?

Like I said then it will be an arcade monitor and you should act accordingly to get the best from it otherwise it is wasted. You will be better posting in build your own arcade controls forums. If you want GameEx specific help post the files requested and follow the instructions when you reply to or create a new topic.

Sorry for my late reply here, i think i can help, but i need more infos about DarkStars Setup regarding Hardware used in his cab-setup.

Most important is what graphic card is used. Only ArcadeVGA cards and ATI cards are capable of being setup with Windows7.

It is for sure a 15khz CRT, thats why he had problems starting Windows7 in 640x480 resolution.

So if Darkstar can bring us some light, there will be a solution. Your problem is not a GameEx problem, its a driver problem of Windows7 nothing else.

Hope I can help you now... didnt hanged around here lately.

Hey U-man, Just looked in my box and there is not a video card, the monitor plugs right into the motherboard. I have gotten it running but I think If I am to get a card, I may as well get the one that tom recommended the arcade vga one.