All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Using your Wiimote in MAME as Lightgun

uberpubert69

Before you say it, yes I searched the forum and found a topic discussing just what I want to talk about. But it is 6 years old as I figured maybe theres been some advancements like programs that are made specifically to help make your Wiimote into a LightGun controller/Paddle/steering wheel. (I mostly only care about the lightgun part) I got some friends that really want to play some lightgun games and I have a bluetooth adapter and wiimotes and a sensor bar. If the only way to do it is this way http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/5589-wiimote-as-lightgun/ then I'll do it that way but if there have been better methods developed since then that'd be great if someone could point me in the right direction. :)

Also, I have a softmodded Wii and it would be sweet to know if anyone here uses MAME on it for lightgun games and is any good on there.

Just from doing about a 5-10 minute search outside of the GameEx forums, it appears that the content of the thread you referenced is still the most current answer overall.

Just from doing about a 5-10 minute search outside of the GameEx forums, it appears that the content of the thread you referenced is still the most current answer overall.

half of the links in that post are broken. I've found alternative links though I had to dig really deep to find PPJoy for some reason.

From what I read on other forums (BYOAC, etc.), using a Wiimote as a lightgun is somewhat iffy at best. If that is what your goal is, you will have to continue the search as not many here of that setup from what you have already seen. Probably not what you want to hear but it is truth.

From what I read on other forums (BYOAC, etc.), using a Wiimote as a lightgun is somewhat iffy at best. If that is what your goal is, you will have to continue the search as not many here of that setup from what you have already seen. Probably not what you want to hear but it is truth.

That is why I also asked if anyone has tried the Wii port of MAME and if it has lightgun support. But apparently not. Seems the Wii port is old and poopy. I just really want to play my lightgun games. I have a LED TV I'm using as a monitor so most lightguns don't work on it :/ and the ones that do are kinda pricey. Just figured I'd save a few bucks cause the Wiimote is pretty good with lightgun emulation. I'm looking into retroarch for the Wii and see if the mame core has lightgun support.

• 6 months later...

I think I have found the cure everyone has been looking for! http://touchmote.net/

This program works millions of times better than any PPJoy/GlovePie/BS I've tried so far to get my Wiimote functioning as a Light Gun! You just pair your WiiMote to your PC and start configuring the buttons, it has a preset for a mouse pointer and a steering wheel and can even emulate a x360 controller!

Another thing you can use with this is WiiPair it will let your Wiimote automatically connect at the push of a button.

One problem I had was in CarnEvil it was way off target and overly sensitive and on Lethal Enforcers the crosshair would stop at a certain point moving to the left or right I couldn't cover the whole screen so I'd miss an enemy on the side of the screen and get raped by bullets.

• Like 1

@

uberpubert69

Hello,

do you use a Mame-Version with direct input enabled or is it really emulating a mouse? Can you use multiple wii motes in Mame?

I'm pretty sure its really emulating a mouse. I can assign x360 buttons to the wiimote as well as keyboard keys and of course the mouse too. I compiled my own copy of MAME and yes I did enable Direct Input. From what settings I have in my MAMEUIFX I can enable dual keyboards and dual mice. Though I have not tried it yet. I'm certain it would. I'll give it a go sometime today.

• Like 1

Yes! Please try if it is possible to use two Wii-Motes!

Atm i'm using Mame UI 1.55 with Dinput enabled and WiinRemote. In the Option-Menu of Mame-Ui i then have to tick lightgun when choosing controls for lightgun, not the mouse. Was going nuts about that because i wasted much time in needless fixing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes! Please try if it is possible to use two Wii-Motes!

Atm i'm using Mame UI 1.55 with Dinput enabled and WiinRemote. In the Option-Menu of Mame-Ui i then have to tick lightgun when choosing controls for lightgun, not the mouse. Was going nuts about that because i wasted much time in needless fixing.

Right!

Now my setup is complete, i love Point Blank ^^

Do you guys know how to calibrate "lightgun"?

What are the pratical differences between using Bluetooth adapter + Sensor Bar (i have a wireless one) +Touchmote and Mayflash Wireless sensor bar?

Right!

Now my setup is complete, i love Point Blank ^^

Do you guys know how to calibrate "lightgun"?

What are the pratical differences between using Bluetooth adapter + Sensor Bar (i have a wireless one) +Touchmote and Mayflash Wireless sensor bar?

Mayflash Dolphin bar is more convenient because it automatically connects your wiimotes to your PC with 1 button and also has 3 other modes for using your various wiimotes and adapters like the classic controller as a dinput device and your mouse as well as a multimedia remote. I got one and I don't regret it. Only gripe is the short cord but I have like 5 usb extenders.

As for calibration I remember the D Pad on the Wiimote moving the target around for better centering. Not sure if its the same for Mayflash, I've yet to do hardcore testing with light gun games on it.

With the remote it is fun to play but after buying a aimtrak lightgun i now have a true arcade feeling and it is realy realy dead aim and worth the money! you will never need a crosshair again in mame just BLAM off the cuff !

I'm glad everything worked out for ya. If I had the money to throw away I would definitely get one. But I don't, so this will have to do for now. Its just good to know I can have the same experience with stuff I already own.

@Krakerman: I wish my Girlfriend would do that for me.... but she dont like it, when I am on my killing spree :D

my Lightgun: http://www.blood-is-red.de/mw/index.php/Logic_3_PX098_Assault_Rifle

soon it will work on my PC too.... and there will be very good news for Guncon2 users in the future ;) ... stay tuned.

The only thing, i want to know, how accurate are the Wii-stuff? I heard only bad things about it.

Hi guys!!!

I configured touchmote and works fine on windows like my mouse, but when i enter in a mame game i.e.: Point Blank the cursor dissapear and don't work....

When i exit the game the cursor appears and works fine (on windows)

Whan i'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!!

Do you have the mouse set in the mame command line?

-mouse

Hi Adultery!!!

I'm using a mameui versión.... The cursos shows on the windows screen and inside mameui, but when i enter the game don't work. I managed to run the wiimote inside game holding the A button but do not get moving without pressing this button.

I don't know how to configure MAME and touchmote to function as a gun.