All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Higan / BSNES Command Line anyone?

u-man

Hello Community,

After playing all my loved SNES titles with the SNES9x-Emulator, I found out that there are some really annoying things with this Emulator. My setup is strong enough to handle this Emu ;). Win7 64bit, 8-32GB RAM, at least new i3-processors, 4th generation.

First one is the mouse cursor, which randomly appears in Fullscreen-Mode, while I am playing. This destroys the illusion of playing the real thing ;) and can disturb the gameplay as well.

Second one is the accuracy of this Emulator. It randomly slows down, i can hear it in the music i.e. . So there is no fluent play-experience. If you play a title like Super Mario World, you will die quite often in situations, where i wouldnt die, if i would play on a real SNES or if it would be more accurate. First I thought, that it has to do with 50 / 60Hz Titles, which can be a problem, but it happened with 60Hz Titles too.

So I decided to use Higan, better known as BSNES, because it claims to be 100% accurate. At least my two problems are gone and I can say it is much more easier to play i.e. Super Mario World. My Girlfriend as a test-person, has so much more fun to play it :D.

I can only recommend this Emulator, if you have at least a CoreDuo Processor. Its really a difference in playing games.

Now I want to setup this Emulator in GameEx and would like to have a working commandline. Anyone has one?

If its even possible, it would be very nice to have one, that loads a savestate on startup, and save one on exit, like MAME does.

Thanks in Advance, u-man

I don't use any console emulators at the moment, but found the following via Google search using "gameex bsnes" as my search paramaters:

Command=bsnes.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

Not sure if the .exe is still named the same. Also found this command line if it is using Purify:

Command=C:\[Path to bsnes folder]\purify.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

Not sure if either will be of help.

I tried this, but it doesnt work. Cant find the commands Higan understands. As good as this Emulator is, the Rom-management is a nightmare, especially for Front-Ends. Higan handles Roms in a special way. You need to import your Rom (one-by-one :huh: ) and then it creates his own rom in a folder named like the game, but the rom itself is always "program.rom".

So in GameEx you will have tons of games called just "program". If you want to start this "program", it opens Higan but the cardridge is not loaded. I guess it dont understand it that way ;). I will try to find commands Higan understands and if I cant, my only option is to start it by hand :(.

Yeah I hate to say it, but this is the reason I continue to use an older version of bsnes. I'm not sure in what version bsnes started messing with ROMs in this fashion but I think it was around the same time that it became known as higan. I use version v084 which doesn't have this issue and still handily trumps all other SNES emulators in terms of accuracy. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll send you a copy of v084.

thx nullPointer, I didnt know this, latest version of BSNES was 0.91 and i will try that and see what happen. :)

Honestly I cant see why someone who have done such a good Emulator, start with a horrible Rom-Management and include this into the Emulator :huh: .

This doesnt make any sense to me, even if its meant in a good way. This single-rom import a mess.... duplicating roms a mess.... :(
No usefull meaning in a Front-End etc. etc.

Rick1974.. I have heard of Retroarch, but in a total different content... HLSL. I downloaded it but I didnt try it yet. Sounds very promising, as I liked the HLSL features too (up to 8 Shaders to generate a great Retro-Look and you can use it with MAME.... somehow :D ). I will look further into it.

thx nullPointer, I didnt know this, latest version of BSNES was 0.91 and i will try that and see what happen. :)

Honestly I cant see why someone who have done such a good Emulator, start with a horrible Rom-Management and include this into the Emulator :huh: .

This doesnt make any sense to me, even if its meant in a good way. This single-rom import a mess.... duplicating roms a mess.... :(

No usefull meaning in a Front-End etc. etc.

That's exactly the point of a frontend, isn't it? ;)

EDIT i see what you're getting at. I've never understood this approach either. You should be able to just point a path and be done with it. So the usual commands don't work in GE?

Use Retroarch.. If you're not familiar with it, check it out.. http://www.libretro.com/

Then you can use the 'bsnes accuracy' core from within...

This is what I use, and I have similar specs to your PC. win7x64, i3-4340 8gb ram

I use Retroarch for pretty much all my console emulation within GameEx

Well I'll be damned, this looks pretty epic. Gonna have to check this out.

Thanks for the tip!

I have it as: higan-accuracy.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

I'm not sure if it works though...

Nope... I tried it, Higan starts but doesnt load a rom... plus even if it would work, you have all the games with the same name :( .

EDIT i see what you're getting at. I've never understood this approach either. You should be able to just point a path and be done with it. So the usual commands don't work in GE?

exactly.... we retro-nerds lives with those quirks ages, centurys :D people get used to this, so even if you (programmer) think its better to organize things in this or that way, it will cause only more problems. it will get worse and not better. so maybe even if this concept is good, there will still be a missing environment to use that full potential. the most painfull thing is the import one-by-one. Imagine a full SNES collection... B):rolleyes: you will need hours, maybe days.

but thank you all for this quite usefull tips and advices :) .

Yeah man, these are the best shaders available at the moment. If anyone else is interested, check also this thread:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45026&start=420

and in the same thread, look at the INI Creator v0.3 for MAME.... for all the fiddlers outthere:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45026&start=330

with the INI Creator you can create INDIVIDUAL HLSL MAME presets per game. the inventor NUeda, thinks about porting this to Retroarch :D.

Those presets look really fantastic on a LCD.

Nope... I tried it, Higan starts but doesnt load a rom... plus even if it would work, you have all the games with the same name :( .

Assuming that the roms are in folders, you could use [Rompath]\[Rom]\whateverthenameofthegameis

I'm sure from your post that is not the only problem though.

Use Retroarch.. If you're not familiar with it, check it out.. http://www.libretro.com/

This is what I use, and I have similar specs to your PC. win7x64, i3-4340 8gb ram

Many thanks for the share, I've been playing about with RetroArch all weekend, it's fantastic. The crt filters look amazing on my new 55" LED

LloydRetrodreaming has a very nice looking RetroArc filter, you can see samples here and in his other YouTube videos.

He has finally released it but you have to follow his cryptic clues to find it.

I've been banging my head of the wall trying to work it out all weekend but I'm beat.

The clue is in the following picture CRT all you like

It supposedly points to a public video which then has details pointing to a private video with the shader.

Maybe someone on here will work it out.

I have it as: higan-accuracy.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

I'm not sure if it works though...

Yesterday I have fiddling around with Retroarch and what didnt worked for Higan, works for Retroarch :D . I must say, that this is a real, cool Program.

many thanks and it was not so hard to setup.

LloydRetrodreaming has a very nice looking RetroArc filter, you can see samples here and in his other YouTube videos.

He has finally released it but you have to follow his cryptic clues to find it.

I've been banging my head of the wall trying to work it out all weekend but I'm beat.

The clue is in the following picture CRT all you like

It supposedly points to a public video which then has details pointing to a private video with the shader.

Maybe someone on here will work it out.

your link didnt work for me. if you have it, share it :)

I eventually got it https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr1wdcpb0aw3p7d/CRT-interlaced-halation.zip

Though you have to use retroarch-phoenix to launch it as it is in .shader format

When you view it side by side with the original crt-interlaced-halation it is better though subtle and it doesn't work with Master System... though if you know what you were doing you could probably fix it as I had to do with the original crt-interlaced-halation

with the original crt-interlaced-halation you need to modify crt-interlaced-halation-pass2.cg

Replace:OUT.ilfac = float2(1.0,floor(IN.video_size.y/200.0));withOUT.ilfac = float2(1.0,clamp(floor(IN.video_size.y/200.0),1.0,2.0));

I don't know how to apply the same fix to the 'better' halation and the difference is only slight so I'm happy to stick with the original filter that comes with the RetroARch megapack