All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

New to Slingfront

Hey everyone today was the first time I had ever heard of Slingfront so I decided to download it and try it out my first impressions were that it was pretty cool but I am having a few issues with it.

1) The first PC I installed it on happens to be a Asus laptop that I have connected to both a 50 inch HDTV and a 24 inch monitor that is mounted to the wall next to my bed. I use Asus Wicast to wirelessly send the signal to the monitor on the wall from the HTPC but enough about my setup the problem I had was when I had Slingfront running I was trying to type something on the other monitor. Every keystroke registered the letter I typed but they also effected Slingfront at the same time so obviously it doesn't work correctly with multiple monitor systems.

2) Playback was choppier then just launching it in my browser and I couldn't figure out a way to refresh the signal which usually fixes playback issues.

3) I have a Slingbox Pro HD and I have it connected to both my cable box and a WD TV Live (for remote streaming mostly since my Windows Phone's subsonic app doesn't support video have to have remote access somehow) I did figure out how to switch between the sources but when I pulled up the remote for the WD TV Live it wasn't the proper remote when checking the issue from the browser this didn't occur and the proper remote was displayed.

I like what you are doing with this project though very nice work. I found out about it while checking out the GameEx forums I just configured the frontend today and was thinking that this would be cool to be able to lauch from inside the GameEX environment and would make the HTPC aspect of it even better with Live TV support. Also was wondering if you ever considered adding some controls at the bottom whenever you move your mouse just a thought I scrolled through all the keyboard shortcut and I already know how to change the volume, channels. source and to show and hide the remote but sometimes controls are just easier then remembering a ton of keyboard shortcuts.Sorry for the length of the post and I hope I don't come across like a dick for making suggestions.

1) yes, the keyboard support in SlingFront is at a low level in that it doesn't care which apps have the focus from what I can tell, it just checks the physical state of the keys and reacts accordingly. I'm not sure if there is a reason it was coded this way.

2) did you try different quality settings? I must admit I don't see this issue, I have it working pretty well. That said I haven't tried the latest Windows web plugin much so maybe they've improved things a lot. We do need to update the project to use the latest web plugin though.

3) not sure why this would be, but again maybe the latest plugin would fix this too.

On the subject of plugins, I think the one that SlingFront installs is quite old now. there are more recent ones which also work with it, maybe these would help with 2) and 3). When I say more recent I don't mean the very latest, which definitely doesn't work with SlingFront, but some revisions later than the one that SlingFront installs. I will look to build an executable that installs the plugin I've been using for a while now.

Ok, it probably won't help but you never know - if you unzip the file below and copy the exe ontop of your SlingFront.exe, then go into control panel and uninstall "WebSlingPlayer ActiveX". Then run the new SlingFront exe and it should download a slightly (about 6 months) later version, which is the one I've been using for ages without any problems.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z32offekzoy2bb/SlingFront_beta_4.zip