All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Guide for installing DWJUKEBOX for PinballX in your Pincab

I was able to install dwjukebox in my Pincab running Pinballx. Attached is a complete installation PDF guide for installing it. There are about 16 steps you have to take to get this working, including compiling several small programs and a lot of configuration. I decided to create a complete graphical guide as there is a lot to do to make this work. Just take one step at a time and walk through it and it should work. I installed it on an XP machine so there maybe a few quirks for your own system but I think this will bring you close enough to the solution that you will be able to get it going. The solution was to configure it the exact same way that Future Pinball or Visual Pinball is configured to operate in their Games folders while at the same time, configuring PinballX so it has additional folders for Jukebox just like it does for Visual Pinball and Future Pinball.

Other features have to be added like shutting down the jukebox when exiting and eliminating a few other things that happen in PinballX like closing servers that don't close when exiting a Visual Pinball game, or eliminating the problem of the visual pinball editor popping up on top of a table if the table's resources are so large that loading it causes a delay and the wrong window ends up on top. What is in this guide will solve these problems too even though they don't relate to the jukebox, they are part of the full installation.

I realized after uploading this guide that there is an error in PART TWO that describes the folder name for the xml file. below is the correction.

PART TWO – CREATING THE PINBALLX FOLDER STRUCTURE AND PROGRAMS

1. Create a folder “C:\PinballX\Databases\Jukebox” and

2. Create a file “Jukebox.xml” inside of folder “C:\PinballX\Databases\Jukebox” and place this single entry in it:

<menu>

<game name="jukebox">

<description>jukebox</description>

<manufacturer>dwjukebox</manufacturer>

<year>2013</year>

<type>SS</type>

<hidedmd>True</hidedmd>

<hidebackglass>False</hidebackglass>

<enabled>True</enabled>

<rating>0</rating>

</game>

</menu>

Jukebox.pdf

• Like 2

You will need to go into C:\Games\Jukebox\dwjukebox\controls.ini and make some changes to get your buttons to work for you the way you want them. There is a bit of a trick to this. On my cabinet system I am using flipper buttons and left/right side bump buttons to navigate the jukebox. It's a bit crude but works.

Below is what the upper half of my controls.ini file looks like (I have omitted the joy stick and mouse portions). You can program this the way that suits you.

For example in the first two sections of the controls.ini file, you can see that specific keys can be mapped to specific functions appearing in the second section. For example if KEY_Z = BTN_GUI_UP, you will notice in the second section of this file that KEY_UP = BTN_GUI_UP so this means you have mapped your "Z" key to navigate the graphical menu "up". If you have a bump button on your cabinet, "Z" is left.

So in short, map the first section that address the keyboard to communicate with the assignments in the second section of this file.

[Controls]

# The Controls section assigns a jukebox function to a
# key. Although this seems backwards, it allows more than
# one key to perform a particular function; this is useful
# on cocktail cabinets. All key assignments are shown
# here as an example, but for clarity you may delete any
# key assignments that you're not using.
#
# If you do not assign a function to a key, that function
# will not be available. On a coin-operated jukebox,
# for example, you would probably not want to assign the
# BTN_SKIP and BTN_RADIO functions.

KEY_A = BTN_A
KEY_B = BTN_B
KEY_C = BTN_C
KEY_D = BTN_D
KEY_E = BTN_SHUTDOWN
KEY_F = BTN_F
KEY_G = BTN_G
KEY_H = BTN_H
KEY_I = BTN_I
KEY_J = BTN_J
KEY_K = BTN_K
KEY_L = BTN_L
KEY_M = BTN_M
KEY_N = BTN_N
KEY_O = BTN_O
KEY_P = BTN_P
KEY_Q = BTN_Q
KEY_R = BTN_R
KEY_S = BTN_S
KEY_T = BTN_T
KEY_U = BTN_U
KEY_V = BTN_V
KEY_W = BTN_W
KEY_X = BTN_X
KEY_Y = BTN_Y
KEY_Z = BTN_GUI_UP
KEY_0 = BTN_0
KEY_1 = BTN_1
KEY_2 = BTN_2
KEY_3 = BTN_3
KEY_4 = BTN_4
KEY_5 = BTN_5
KEY_6 = BTN_6
KEY_7 = BTN_7
KEY_8 = BTN_8
KEY_9 = BTN_9

KEY_0_PAD = BTN_0
KEY_1_PAD = BTN_1
KEY_2_PAD = BTN_2
KEY_3_PAD = BTN_3
KEY_4_PAD = BTN_4
KEY_5_PAD = BTN_5
KEY_6_PAD = BTN_6
KEY_7_PAD = BTN_7
KEY_8_PAD = BTN_8
KEY_9_PAD = BTN_9

Below is the second section of the control.ini file. Observe how the upper section can map to the lower section.

KEY_F1 = BTN_CLEARQUEUE
KEY_F2 = BTN_FREEPLAY
KEY_F3 = BTN_RADIO
KEY_F4 = BTN_SHUFFLE
KEY_F5 = BTN_LOOP
KEY_F6 = BTN_TOPTUNE
KEY_F7 = BTN_POPULAR
KEY_F8 = BTN_PAUSE
KEY_F9 = BTN_SKIN_PREV
KEY_F10 = BTN_SKIN_NEXT
KEY_F11 = 0
KEY_F12 = BTN_SCREENSHOT
KEY_ESC = BTN_SHUTDOWN
KEY_TILDE = BTN_VOL_MUTE
KEY_MINUS = BTN_VOL_DOWN
KEY_EQUALS = BTN_VOL_UP
KEY_BACKSPACE = BTN_BACKSPACE
KEY_TAB = BTN_GUI_NEXT
KEY_OPENBRACE = BTN_VOL_MIN
KEY_CLOSEBRACE = BTN_VOL_MAX
KEY_ENTER = BTN_GUI_SELECT
KEY_SEMICOLON = 0
KEY_QUOTE = 0
KEY_BACKSLASH = 0
KEY_BACKSLASH2 = 0
KEY_COMMA = BTN_PREVALPHA
KEY_PERIOD = BTN_NEXTALPHA
KEY_SLASH = BTN_GUI_DOWN
KEY_SPACE = BTN_GUI_SELECT
KEY_INSERT = BTN_COIN1
KEY_DEL = BTN_SKIP
KEY_HOME = BTN_FIRSTPG
KEY_END = BTN_LASTPG
KEY_PGUP = BTN_PREVPG
KEY_PGDN = BTN_NEXTPG
KEY_LEFT = BTN_GUI_LEFT
KEY_RIGHT = BTN_GUI_RIGHT
KEY_UP = BTN_GUI_UP
KEY_DOWN = BTN_GUI_DOWN
KEY_SLASH_PAD = 0
KEY_ASTERISK = 0
KEY_MINUS_PAD = BTN_SKIPLAST
KEY_PLUS_PAD = BTN_CLEARQUEUE
KEY_DEL_PAD = 0
KEY_ENTER_PAD = BTN_SELECT
KEY_PRTSCR = 0
KEY_PAUSE = 0
KEY_LSHIFT = BTN_GUI_LEFT
KEY_RSHIFT = BTN_GUI_RIGHT
KEY_LCTRL = 0
KEY_RCTRL = 0
KEY_LALT = 0
KEY_RALT = 0
KEY_LWIN = 0
KEY_RWIN = 0
KEY_MENU = 0
KEY_SCRLOCK = 0
KEY_NUMLOCK = 0
KEY_CAPSLOCK = BTN_PLAYSTIMULATOR

ok thanks i have it working in my hyperpin setup. but in the guide for pinballx it is saying to make a new folder for it and i dont want to start doing that, so just going to stick with hyperpin.

Seriously? It is a folder that takes up 1 byte and the steps have been laid out pretty as an ant-free picnic. The only difference I can see in the level of work that has to be done is that for using the same app via Hyperprin, someone else has tidied the process up by creating/using a few programs that take the guesswork out of launching the jukebox program. Is that is your determination for a go/no-go decision to give the software an honest try?

I am not trying to stir up shit here, but, as with anything else in this hobby, one will have to roll-up the sleeves and get their hands dirty in the configuration once in a while to make things work. Nothing is going to automagically configure itself to fit the whims of the end-user.

/me shakes head in disbelief

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

its ok i sorted it out

Would you mind sharing details on the issue and how you got it sorted just in case someone else runs into the same issue? Might be good to know what OS you are using as well. Thanks!

yep in the config file were it says appexe i had 3 === so just deleted 2 of them and it works plus i dont need the killbackglass.exe either it works without it for sum reason.

im using win 7 64bit.

iv got it orking on the backglass for jukebox but my playiggfield shows windows instead of a pic of a jukebox is there a way of showing the pic or hiding windows from playingfield when jukebox on.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this guide.

All works fine, but I have a problem: when I exit from jukebox, randomly the wincab.exe process doesn't quits and freezes making a costant terrible noise (a little part of the song is repeted infinitely).

If I reduce the pinballx window and I click something on the desktop or open another window, then wincab.exe quits.

The post launch command (that should kill wincab.exe) works correctly if I manually launch it, and I can see through logs that pinballX launches it correctly.

What can be the problem?

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi piddu. Did you ever get a solution to this problem? The exact same thing is happening for me. I finally got pinballx to work perfectly with dwjukebox except for when I exit dwjukebox. It freezes and sounds like a dvd player is skipping continuously. I'm a real newbie to this whole thing but having fun figuring it out!

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

I found the solution! Don't forget to disable the mouse in the jukebox.ini file. There is a line that should read, "Mouse = Disabled". Mine was enabled but as soon as I disabled it everything worked perfectly! It even says to disable the mouse in the instructions. I guess i skipped that step. :wacko:

• Like 1