All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Various Emulator Setup Guide

Riffman81

So I was shifting through some old folders today and found all my setup notes I kept for various emulators while setting up GameEx for the first time. I remember having a hard time with nullDC and it was just a matter of changing a few things in my nullDC config file to get it up and running. (Thanks nullPointer) So I'd like to compile all of these notes into one big "guide" kind of like what stryker did with his first-time setup guide. Right now I have setup notes on some of the more difficult emulators but I'd like to cover all of them in one, easy to follow overview.

Would any of you be interested in seeing something like this? Just an idea, and might save some time for others looking to get things going.

• Like 4

Hey Riffman!

I'm sure you remember how it was when you first tried GameEx - a million questions but didn't know where to start asking? Believe it or not we all went through that at some point! You wanted, I'm sure, a definitve guide on all things GameEx. Unfortunately it didn't exist did it (i know coz i went through the same!). Thing is, a product like GE wouldn't exist if the devs weren't focused like animals on pure programming instinct like Tom and crew are. This is where i think guys like us come into play.

If you can help a newbie just a iddy widdy bit, and you have a lot already documented i say go for it man! By doing so you'll maybe help a newcomer to spend more time with GE, they will inevitably purchase a license (who wouldn't?!) which in turn will, maybe, inspire certain devs to make an even better version *ahem, cough - evolution, cough*! Right? ;)

The butterfly effect :)

You may want to check out this post by Draco a while back that i think got missed :wacko:

Thanks for that link Dazz! I guess I did in fact miss that post :) I downloaded the .doc template and will get to work on getting this thing put together over the next few days! Will post back when I have something together.

EDIT: I was just thinking... would it be better to do a seperate gudie for each individual emulator or would one guide for all be the way to go? I know I was once a "noob" (and am some ways still am) and it might be a bit overwhelming to read through one big guide... just a thought. What do you guys think?

Hey Riffman!

I'm sure you remember how it was when you first tried GameEx - a million questions but didn't know where to start asking? Believe it or not we all went through that at some point! You wanted, I'm sure, a definitve guide on all things GameEx. Unfortunately it didn't exist did it (i know coz i went through the same!). Thing is, a product like GE wouldn't exist if the devs weren't focused like animals on pure programming instinct like Tom and crew are. This is where i think guys like us come into play.

If you can help a newbie just a iddy widdy bit, and you have a lot already documented i say go for it man! By doing so you'll maybe help a newcomer to spend more time with GE, they will inevitably purchase a license (who wouldn't?!) which in turn will, maybe, inspire certain devs to make an even better version *ahem, cough - evolution, cough*! Right? ;)

The butterfly effect :)

You may want to check out this post by Draco a while back that i think got missed :wacko:

LOL I purchased a copy before even downloading it when it said "Steam Support".

Now I am pretty happy... just a few quirks here and there with launchers and stupid video formats, etc...

For size and being able to edit later on as various features with emulators change, it is probably better to do one for each emulator. Also, we have a document template here that is recommended to help keep the formatting somewhat uniform. I would also recommend reviewing the GameBaseST doc in the post that follows as a guide. If you need assistance with converting the docs to .pdf, let us know!

Great idea. Thought before that it would be helpful to have a GameEx Wiki? I'm possibly speaking out my *nice weather* a bit because dont know the ins and outs of wiki creation/maintenance, but have used wikis elsewhere and they were really accessible and helpful.

Guess the other thing is that they're user editable?

My tuppence!

Was gonna do the same on my site for my setup. Some ideas for structure for each emulator:

Basic and advanced setups

Condensed relevant essential settings (command line, launch before/after, advanced config script)

Useful files download (adv config bat, ahk scripts, other bat files)

Additional application launches e.g. TopGun for PS2 lihhtgun games

Details or links to command line switches

Intermediary launchers eg. Pcsx2lunch or the amiga one

Approaches and scripts to improve emu setups eg saving per game settings

Gameex plugin setups

Individual emu setups eg the nulldc ini edit - that one was a bugger!

Considerations for setups with cabs, htpcs, laptops etc.

Additional info for each emu e.g. hotkeys, augmentations to emu, gfx and sound plugins

Just some ideas!

I think that Tom has expressed an interest in possibly hosting a wiki for that purpose in the past. It may not be before Evolution is released, however. In the mean time, we can "library" what is produced in one of the pinned threads until then.

Sorry for the delay guys in getting back to this topic, pulled a double shift the past two days, good times... :/ So doing a guide for each emulator I have setup would be my contribution to help others. There are some emus I still don't have up and running, so maybe someone else could shed some light on those as we/I move forward with this idea, or I will get to them at a later date. Either way, I'll get to work on getting these ready with the template suggested. Once I get some of these done, who would I notify for proof reading and such to get them finalized?

• Like 2

I would recommend attaching in this forum initially so that the membership can review your drafts. They may find some things left out that may need to be added. nullPointer and I have also been active in assisting with any formatting issues. Please submit the drafts in .doc or .docx format (will require to be ZIPped or RARd to account for the forum filters). Once a final draft is submitted, we can can convert them to .pdf format if you are unable to do so and then post them to the pinned documentation project thread.

Thanks again for your interest and contributions!

• Like 1