All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

READY PLAYER ONE

Draco1962

I was pretty worried when the audience reviews started rolling in from those that read the book.

People who didn't read the book enjoy it. I'm done seeing movies made from books I've read. They should've titled the movie, "character names from a book you may have read." That's about all that was the same.

The movie does little to no justice to the boy ok on which it was based. How Cline approved the final script for this, I will never understand

My ticket stub had "Ready Player One" printed on it, but I might as well had read, Ernest goes to Dave N' Busters.

I went to the movies tonight and saw a movie. I am not even sure what movie I saw. Regardless, I am still waiting on Ready Player One to be released to theaters.

I went to the movies tonight and saw a movie. I am not even sure what movie I saw. Regardless, I am still waiting on Ready Player One to be released to theaters.

It gets good reviews from those not exposed to the book.

Sounds like a terrible adaption to the big screen.  I'll catch a matinee at the dollar theater, it's cheaper ya know! :D

<edit> I didn't read the book but saw Enders game.  I didn't care for it.

People who didn't read the book enjoy it. I'm done seeing movies made from books I've read. They should've titled the movie, "character names from a book you may have read." That's about all that was the same.

Most appropriate review. I couldn't have put it better. I remember thinking that while watching...no, suffering through...the movie.

Skip the movie, read the book. Or do what I did and listen to it on audible. It's narrated by Will Wheaton (you know, Wesly crusher from TNG!) I have to say, I like Will Wheaton's narration better than Scott Brick. Both are great.

My wife and I saw it today. She thought it was great and enjoyable. Having read the book several times, I have to say that if they had divided the book into 2 movies, it would have captured more of the details I enjoyed in the book. Since it was a standard movie length, I still found it to be an enjoyable romp and that it followed the book in spirit, even if not in every subplot and detail.

5 hours ago, RIP-Felix said:

I like Will Wheaton's narration

Will brought this book to life, I highly recommend his narration version.

I could sit and listen with my eyes closed and feel like I was there.  This is an experience that should absolutely not be missed by anyone that grew up in the 80's, or is a fan of the 80's scene!

Spoiler

#17  (5:18) - Lacero - By Andy Weir (The author of "The Martin"). A READY PLAYER ONE Fan Fiction short story.

#'s18-20 (5:41) - Did you know that Cline hid an Easter egg in the Book? This was news to me. He gave away a Dolorean to the winner! That's just awesome. And "The Stacks" is an atari 2600 game made for the contest! I'm gonna have to get a copy and put on my arcade cabinet.

...There are all kings of neat facts in that video. SPOILERS TOO!

#101 is my favorite!

• 3 months later...

https://filmgoblin.com/igroeper/iggy-says-ready-player-one-literally-best-movie-ever-made/

Well after four failed attempts to see this movie (although I did get to see 50 minutes of it on the last try), I look forward to the 4K release.

I know it got mixed reviews here and most everywhere, by those that read the book anyway, but I liked what I saw regardless of the deviation from the book.

• 1 month later...

So I've been busy calibrating my surround setup, which has been low on the priority list given everything else that has been going on.  I finally got this done Friday and sat down on this gloomy and muggy day to watch this flick.  

No sound! 

Spoiler

WTF!!!

Turns out I apparently didn't understand this Trinnov 3D remapping setup as well as I had thought, in fact, I've never had it enabled.  Well after fumbling around with it I was delivering a PCM feed to my AVR, but I still need to play around with it.  The sound is pretty amazing, very similar to what I would imagine Dolby Vision offers.  This was my first 4K UHD purchase, boy does the HDR make a massive difference!

Anyway, granted this deviated from the book greatly, but I really liked the movie and it will most definitely be getting many repeated views.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/12/17109960/ready-player-one-movie-review-steven-spielberg-ernest-cline-tye-sheridan-sxsw-2018

I have to agree with both sides on this.  I really liked the book and immediately was disappointed to hear that the movie moved so far away from it.  So much so that I decided not to go to the theatre to see it until it was almost too late, which, as it turns out for me, it was.

Now that I've seen it and liked what I saw, I really wish they had broken this into a hunger games type series and dug deeper into the story, even if it wasn't entirely true to the book.

Perhaps it'll get a reboot in coming years following the success of this release.

Yeah, I know, late to the party on this one!

My negative opinion on the film has softened. I did pick up a copy. My second viewing was more balanced. There is still much that the movie has to offer ("IT'S FU$KING CHUCKY!").

My impression in the theater was reactionary (to the deviation from the book), which was not fair. Many people I've spoken with say they liked the movie. My mom said she liked the movie, then I made her read the book and she agreed it's way better. Now, I did try my best to manage expectations, but I couldn't control my disappointment to the complete departure from the key/gate challenges. I'll concede they needed challenges that were more favorable cinematography. Having the gate right there at the key was disappointing, but it had to be done for time. In retrospect, this isn't as big of a deal as I felt it was at first. There was no way they could follow the book even remotely close in a 2 hour time frame. As packed as the movies was, with important things just glossed over, it's 2:20 as it is. A Mini series at least, but probably a full fledged HBO quality 13 episode series would be required to do the book justice. The fact they were able to remain true to the basic plot and capture the nostalgia is all the more amazing.

Still:

Spoiler
  • Daito wasn't a kid and was murdered in the book. This was a pivotal and important plot development. It later played a critical role in the final showdown. Instead they made him Shoto's actual little brother and he lived. A complete departure impossible to weave into the cannon of the RP1 universe without explaining away the movie as fiction. Perhaps one of the false retelling of the events that Wade was trying to clear up by writing His biography. At least that's how I'm spinning it in my fan fiction.
  • They vaulted I-r0K to legendary Gunter status. If you read the book, I don't need to explain why that is totally wrong. They needed to make him a bad guy I guess, but that's just total BS. It put's me off...in a big way.
  • I didn't like the shining challenge. Preference here, but the river of blood is a bit far for most audiences. There was levity with Ache's fear of scary movies, but the fact he hadn't seen the movie was inexcusable IMO. He's an elite Gunter who devotes his time to hunting for the egg and learning everything about Halladay, which would surely included this movie. It was unbelievable and undermines Aches character. That's what ticks me.
  • There is ALOT of stuff mentioned without explanation at all, so only if you read the book would you'd understand.

Cline himself worked with the writers to make the movie and Steven Spielberg directed it. I have to deal with the fact that Cline gave the Okay and one of the best Directors ever did his best to do it justice. It's pretty good if you throw what you know about the book out the window and forget about consistency. I do enjoy it on it's own right. So I guess it goes into the Jurassic Park category of books/movies that are good on their own right, but have no interconsistancy. So be it.

I don't really see the movie becoming a franchise, but I guess that depends on where Cline takes the sequel. Or perhaps the movie departed from the book's cannon sufficiently for a movie franchise to divert completely into it's own thing. I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it. IDK, did everyone love the movie that much? I kinda like it, but it's not something I need a sequel for, not like the book.

I think a sequel could do very well, but how do you beat the easter eggs from this one? I envision that there would be less focus on the retro features of Halliday's life although there could be something in his past that could be turned against the best intentions of the "High Five" and prove to be a bigger threat than IOI was in the first story. Very vague and very wide strokes.

I could easily see the book expand into a trilogy. I've given some thought to what kind of crisis could necessitate the use of the BIG RED BUTTON. It has to be something that puts the lives of those who use the OASIS in danger, not just the neglect of society, letting things decay in real life. I'm writing some fan fiction exposing one possability. It has to do with the potential danger of hacking immersion rigs and Haptic suits. It involves the origin story of Sorento, as written by Andy Wier in Lacero. It also requires that sorento plays an underground role.

I like my idea for a story so much, that I'm afraid Cline's sequel won't be as good. But that's the case when you write your own anything. You make what you like. It's if other people like it that matters.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ooooh, hell yeah! SIGN ME UP!!!

I'm intentionally trying not to speculate about the plot. I'm gonna just let it happen. Maybe that'll soften the sequel blues. I do hope Will wheaton does the voice acting for the audible release. He's my guy....and Scott Brick, but for RP1/2 it has to be Will!

I am hopeful that it is a worthy sequel. I haven't read Armada yet, but I have heard comparisons to a bit of Ender's Game with a dusting of The Last Starfighter.