All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Happy New Year - And Stay Tuned

Tom Speirs

So, I've been giving this whole "Evolution" thing some thought.... from what I gather, it sounds exciting, but I have a few questions. Will this "New GameEx" be able to be installed over an existing GE install? If so, how much reconfiguring if any will be involved? Does this include a new theme editor as well? Any chance of backwards compatibility with themes and other current GE plugins, etc? I have spent countless hours configuring my setup, adding new content, etc... so that's the reason I'm asking. Not trying to ruffle any tail feathers here, and I realize more info will come to light as we move forward, but I thought I'd post my concerns/questions :) GE really is a great piece of software for any true gamer, and as I've said before, I can't say enough good things about the program.

From what has been said: You can have both versions installed side-by-side. This is so there can be continued support for the current themes, as well as enable users with older computers to still be able to run GameEx. There will be a requirement to make new themes, although Tom has said he is willing to assist in converting current themes. I haven't heard anything about plugins.

• Like 1

@Riffman81: Han and Tempest pretty much nailed it. GameEx Evolution is a full on "sequel" to GameEx, much moreso than any incremental update. Several key features of GameEx are being rebuilt from the ground up and as such GameEx Evolution will represent a new frontier for GameEx. Having said that, I can personally attest to Tom's unwavering dedication to insure that GameEx remains the most easily configurable frontend out there. Working in close contact with GameEx users means that Tom has a very good vision of what makes GameEx so great. You can rest assured that many of the features we all love about GameEx will remain true to the philosophy GameEx has always followed. The more things change the more they stay the same! ;)

In terms of current gen theme compatibility, I'll defer to the man himself:

Actually I can't guarantee that older themes will be compatible out of the box. That is my choice. There may be some way to convert but we are "Evolving" and moving forward with bigger and better.

Hey on a personal note I really enjoyed the GameEx Evolution writeup you did for The3rdLevel.net! Nice job! :D

• Like 1

I've gotta say after a year of tinkering around now in this hobby (and more pertinent to this aspect) - hat off to anyone who takes on puling together all the different parts of the computing part of retro gaming. Emulators, roms, databases, input methods, controller configurations, artwork, file-matching, naming conventions, direct X, shifting hardware sands, cabs/HTPC hosts and lastly but not leastly, moaning, demanding users. Of course on the latter point, I only speak for myself. :)

Great work and if you guys need a cup of tea making, let me know.

Just wanted to say it is going to be released as a new product but some existing aspects won't be charged or perhaps even touched. It is a reboot but it would be stupid to throw away existing things perhaps like the easy emulator setup etc. We may "improve" on them though. I will say though as we are trying to do certain things in a "better" way it t is not my goal to maintain compatibility and have lots of legacy stuff built into it. Like I said it is being deployed as a new product, although obviously we are not rewriting everything.

PS: Also please let the dev team focus on getting things done. We will be releasing information about features etc as we deem it appropriate too,.

PS 2: I really liked the write up also :)

• Like 1

it's ok, I can't hold it anymore. I had a 1 year account still active, and although Gameex's great, I wanted to show my support for Gameex Evolution too, so I just purchased a lifetime license.

You guys deserve it :D

post-14523-0-26948400-1389972733_thumb.j

I'm supporting Gameex... and proud of it :D

• Like 1

This sounds great and i appreciate all that the super secret squirrel staff is doing to take GameEx to the next level. However, i don't want to "evolve". I've spent a lot of time configuring the setup i have to the exact spot it is in. I don't want to start over. Im finally at the part in this hobby where i DO play games now and NOT sit for hours configuring, testing, configuring and so on.

Hopefully the new evolution will be able to carry over settings from a vanilla gameex.ini so people wont have to start from scratch.

I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry too much celly, we're working hard to keep it simple to "switch", and moving from the "vanilla" version will likely be a big part of that. :)

• Like 1