All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Setup crashing at theme selector - Alpha Blue Theme

lusid

Hi there. New user here hoping for some help.

I've installed on two separate machines. One is my arcade cabinet, C2D, ati X1300 graphics, with an svideo display. The other an i7 laptop with nvidia quadro graphics. Both run Windows 7 64bit. On both systems I am unable to pick anything but the MCE theme. If I try to change themes within gamex, I get a crash with an output ending with:

23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: Creating Surfaces Misc and Dialogs
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: --**--
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: ERRORS DETECTED: EXITING
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: Parameter is not valid.
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(String filename)
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at GameEx.GameEx.mainform.a(Surface& A_0, String A_1, SurfaceDescription A_2, Boolean A_3, Boolean A_4, Int32 A_5)
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at GameEx.GameEx.mainform.e(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2)
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at GameEx.GameEx.mainform.a(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, Boolean A_3, Int32 A_4, Int32 A_5, Int32 A_6, Boolean A_7, Boolean A_8)
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at GameEx.GameEx.mainform.a(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, Boolean A_3, Int32 A_4, Int32 A_5, Int32 A_6, Boolean A_7)
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at GameEx.GameEx.mainform.a(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, Boolean A_3, Int32 A_4, Int32 A_5, Int32 A_6)
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at GameEx.GameEx.mainform.f(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2)
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at GameEx.GameEx.mainform.a(Boolean A_0, String A_1, Boolean A_2)
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at GameEx.GameEx.mainform.a(Int32& A_0)
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at GameEx.GameEx.mainform.b(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1)
23:59:27.7 12/28/2013: at GameEx.GameEx.mainform.d3()

If I change the theme from the setup wizard, I get an unhandled exception error with this in the body:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(String filename)
at SetupWizard.ThemeSelector..ctor(Int32 top)
at SetupWizard.XmlSection.ShowSettings(Int32 top)
at SetupWizard.XmlSectionArray.ShowSection()
at SetupWizard.XmlSectionArray.GoToNextSection()
at SetupWizard.frmMain.butNext_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Aside from a fresh install of gameex, these machines have nothing in common besides running 64bit Windows 7

Once its crashed, gameex will not launch again. I have to hack the theme out of the .ini before it will run again.

Samples of the log and .ini are attached.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

Seems we has a similar issue with the Alpha Blue Theme for some reason. Has it only been with the use of this theme that the error occurs or other themes? Can you try selecting any other theme but that one and report back?

I hope you don't mind but I edited the title of the topic for Tom's awareness regarding an issue with the Alpha Blue theme included with the GameEx download\install. Not sure if the issue is also there with the theme from the Themes Download or just what comes with the installer. Can someone please download and test the one from here?

That theme has been around for quite a while so I am not sure what could cause it to suddenly start causing problems unless it has been problematic for a while and it is only recently being reported.

Thanks, it was in fact bad themes. In my case just about all of them were bad. The installer build the default theme database and populated it with 0kb files. All the files appeared to be there, they just were all bad. I downloaded the offline default theme database and dropped the good files into place, and things are working much much better now.

So the really interesting question is why did the installer create all those 0kb files, on both machines I tested it on?