All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Unity3d Pinball Alpha and PinballX

rockyrocket

So with the new release of the Unity3d pinball alpha I thought I would try to get this going in PinballX.

It has few challenges mostly being that it needs its own vpinmame.dll to work - thats fine its a alpha after all.

The problem is that the U3DP DLL breaks pindmd support for me in VP so I needed to change the DLL on the fly and also register it..

The tables also need to stay in separate folders and not all live in one generic tables folder and so far I do not know how to force PinballX to scan sub folders?.

Anyway I managed to fudge together a work around that works apart from the occasional focus issue in PinballX.

To get all this working my solution was to have a wrapper for each (3) table, this did however cause some problems as I could not get each table to load from one XML - please pipe up is you have a better way :) .

So its a bit messy as each table is set up as a single emulator but it works until I/we find a better way.

I am assuming that you already have Unity3D set up and working.

This is only tested in win7 64bit if you are on 32bit or XP then please use the correct version of regsvr32.exe

The best way to explain this is probably to look at the contents of one wrapper...

FileDelete, C:\Games\Visual Pinball\VPinMame\VPinMame.dllFileCopy, C:\Games\Visual Pinball\U3DP\VPinMame.dll, C:\Games\Visual Pinball\VPinMame\Run, "C:\Games\\Visual Pinball\VPinMame\register vpinmame.batRun, "C:\Games\Unit3D Pinball - Alpha Release\Unit3D Pinball.exe" "C:\Games\Unit3D Pinball - Alpha Release\Tables\Black Knight 2000\Black Knight 2000.upt" /editorSleep, 500Send {Enter Down}, Send {Enter Up}Process, wait, Unit3D Pinball.exeProcess, WaitClose, Unit3D Pinball.exeFileDelete, C:\Games\Visual Pinball\VPinMame\VPinMame.dllFileCopy, C:\Games\Visual Pinball\orig-dll\VPinMame.dll, C:\Games\Visual Pinball\VPinMame\Run, "C:\Games\\Visual Pinball\VPinMame\register vpinmame.batexitapp

So you will of course have to change your paths to pinmame and unity3D but I hope this is reasonably self explanatory.

In my visual pinball folder there is a folder called "U3DP" that contains my unity3d VPinMame.dll and then in a folder named "orig-dll" lives you guessed it my normal VPinMame.dll .

In the root "VPinMame" folder I have placed a copy of regsvr32.exe and a bat file that will/should register the dll at each change (all of the files are attached to this post).

Once all the files are in the correct place and your paths are correct in the AHK`s you can either run them as they are (you do have AHK installed right) or compile them for use in PinballX.

If you can now start a table in unity3d from a wrapper and close it the also play VP fine after then most of the work is done.

As for PinballX if you create three new emulators with the same names as the enclosed XML`s and use the settings from my Dr dude example in the screen grab below - you should then be good to go!.

Note I have the wrappers compiled as .exe`s` and in the tables folder.

post-6857-0-42749900-1387655339_thumb.pn

So I think I have waffled on enough and hope all is explained, and please if anyone has a simpler way please speak up.

Package.7z

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could you post an update on how to get this working with the new Unit3D enabled VPinMame dll?

Should be a bit easier....

A new update is promised by the devs so I was waiting for that - but if by the weekend nothing shows then I will have another look.

• 3 weeks later...

The promised update has arrived :) ,along with a new shiny project WEBSITE.

Performance is much improved and some new tables are now available.

Thanks to toms update above its now much easier to install with settings as shown in the attached screen grab - just remember to update your vpinmame.dll from the link above.

Also attached is a working XML for all the available tables at this time....

post-6857-0-10702200-1393011180_thumb.pn

unit3d.zip

• Like 2

Hmmmmm, I hear the tables starting but all I see is the PinballX LOADING screen. An Alt-tab or mouse click does nothing, in fact I don't even see unit3d running. (although the DMD is playing)

Works fine outside of PBX. Rocky the tables are so dark compared to your video, did you adjust the brightness?

[system_6]
Name=Unit3D Pinball
WorkingPath=D:\Unit3D Pinball
TablePath=D:\Unit3D Pinball\TABLES
Executable=Unit3D Pinball.exe
Parameters="[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]"
Enabled=True
LaunchBeforeEnabled=false
LaunchBeforeWorkingPath=
LaunchBeforeExecutable=
LaunchBeforeHideWindow=False
LaunchBeforeWaitForExit=True
LaunchAfterEnabled=True
LaunchAfterWorkingPath=D:\PinballX\Scripts
LaunchAfterExecutable=ledset.bat
LaunchAfterHideWindow=True
LaunchAfterWaitForExit=False
MouseClickFocus=True

Z

Hmmmmm, I hear the tables starting but all I see is the PinballX LOADING screen. An Alt-tab or mouse click does nothing, in fact I don't even see unit3d running. (although the DMD is playing)

Works fine outside of PBX. Rocky the tables are so dark compared to your video, did you adjust the brightness?

[system_6]

Name=Unit3D Pinball

WorkingPath=D:\Unit3D Pinball

TablePath=D:\Unit3D Pinball\TABLES

Executable=Unit3D Pinball.exe

Parameters="[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]"

Enabled=True

LaunchBeforeEnabled=false

LaunchBeforeWorkingPath=

LaunchBeforeExecutable=

LaunchBeforeHideWindow=False

LaunchBeforeWaitForExit=True

LaunchAfterEnabled=True

LaunchAfterWorkingPath=D:\PinballX\Scripts

LaunchAfterExecutable=ledset.bat

LaunchAfterHideWindow=True

LaunchAfterWaitForExit=False

MouseClickFocus=True

Z

I had this same problem with 1.74, but upgrading to 1.75 solved it.

I don't know what else to try....and I'm surprised because VP, FP, FP w/ BAM, PBFX2 all work fine (and have been for the last 20 versions of PBX)

Win 7 64 bit, Nvidia GTX 660, PBX 1.75, Shark codecs, etc

All I get is a black BG and the LOADING screen on the main monitor, I can hear the table loading, I see the DMD (Vishay) fire up....but get this.....none of the keys work except 'Q'. I can't insert credits, start the game.......nothing, this sounds like the issue in the other thread.

The only thing I noticed that is a bit off....when starting a Unit3D table manually, I have to single click on the table before I can insert credits/start/etc. so I'm wondering if that is throwing a wrench in the mix.

Z

I don't know what else to try....and I'm surprised because VP, FP, FP w/ BAM, PBFX2 all work fine (and have been for the last 20 versions of PBX)

Win 7 64 bit, Nvidia GTX 660, PBX 1.75, Shark codecs, etc

All I get is a black BG and the LOADING screen on the main monitor, I can hear the table loading, I see the DMD (Vishay) fire up....but get this.....none of the keys work except 'Q'. I can't insert credits, start the game.......nothing, this sounds like the issue in the other thread.

The only thing I noticed that is a bit off....when starting a Unit3D table manually, I have to single click on the table before I can insert credits/start/etc. so I'm wondering if that is throwing a wrench in the mix.

Z

Super quick post as I am off to work but things to try are;

- Run as admin and set full permissions for every user account?, did this whilst trying to associate .udp files with the exe (did not work).

- Drag all the "handles" again in the set up and resave exit then restart and check all is ok?.

- The having to mouse onto the screen for focus is something I also have to do but have been ignoring as I am using a mouse a lot with it at the moment, so did not even think about that.

- AHK could fix the mouse problem (seems like cursor is sent to the backglass on load?), don`t have time for a few days but can look at that when I do.

- The table lighting is adjustable by sliders - great fun!.

Found some time basically by not doing what I am supposed to today :rolleyes: .

Managed to fix the focus problem (at least for myself) by making an AHK file that sends some mouse clicks to the center of screen one with some sleeps in between.

The script is attached and again the settings that work for me are shown in a screenshot.

As a side note to associate the .udp files I had to set the path to the EXE in the registry before win7 would let me do it?.

You dont really need to do this but its how I have things workng in GameEx and sometimes its nice to be able to doubleclick a tablefile to open it.

Also attached is a unit3d manufacturers logo if anyone wants one.

post-6857-0-75523500-1393085294_thumb.pn

Unit3D focus.zip

post-6857-0-02103700-1393085329_thumb.pn

• Like 1

I'm going to put my Unit3D/PBX testing on hold until a few more people check in. (If anyone wants to kick this around I'm open to testing)

If I run Unit3D Pinball.exe from explorer it opens then asks for a table and loads fine.

If I run (start ->run) "D:\Unit3D Pinball\Unit3D Pinball.exe" "D:\Unit3D Pinball\TABLES\Scared Stiff\Scared Stiff.upt" it loads fine.

Inside of PBX I start the table....PBX goes to the LOADING screen.....I can hear the table sounds and I see the DMD animations, but just a black screen. The issue I can't figure out is, it's not viewable when you alt-tab...there is no unity3d program hiding behind PBX. If I Ctrl-Alt-Delete I see the Unit3d Pinball.exe running in the processes tab but not the applications tab.

Z

Wonder if its a GPU driver thing, like used to sometimes plague the future pinball backglass not showing in hyperpin?.

May sound silly but have you tried running in the different compatibility modes?, again the VP DMD used to hide unless it was in windows NT mode - may be worth a shot?.