All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[GAMING PC] Draco1962's "Old" PC build

Draco1962

2 hours ago, tthurman said:

I believe he's referring to what I believe to be a desktop power distribution unit at the bottom

Nice clean setup!

You are correct. I also have a power strip that is connected to it unswitched for powering the Xbox console stack. Still a bit of cleanup and configuration work to do. Then have to add my Xarcade Tankstick to the mix in front of the Sammy.

It is an under monitor power strip basically. Since there was a useable gap between the shelf and the desktop, it was an ideal place for it. I may shop around for a black one as the white stands out a bit much for my preferences. 

Possibly something like this Tripp Lite one with the duel USB charging ports on the front... https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Under-Monitor-Protector-MT-6PLUS/dp/B0000512E1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485976119&sr=8-2&keywords=under+monitor+surge+protector

51cOSBWhc2L._SL1500_.jpg

I'm sort of surprised anyone still makes those.  I remember having a beige Fellowes model sandwiched between my 486 DX2 and 15" monitor, but can't say I've seen one since.

The piano black on that TrippLite would be a nice accompanying dust magnet with my PS3 :lol:

Ok, maybe I'm lost... what is the purpose of these?  I mean, I have a surge protector power strip already, with a big red switch to turn it off and on.  Does this basically do the same thing but allow switching on/off each device separately?  What's the benefit of that when you can just hit the power button on the device (monitor/printer/etc)?  I guess I just don't get it.  I did a quick search, and NewEgg even sells them in 1U rackmount style for servers.  Why would I want one of those? 

I always thought they were more of a convenience factor from days gone by. 

Years ago it was not really the accepted norm to just leave stuff on all the time.  You came home, fired up the computer, dialed in, checked the BB / browsed the web at a snails pace, played some Doom, shut everything down and went to bed.  You control the power for everything right here, speakers, printer......

• Like 1

I have had several of these over the years and like the convenience of being able to switch individual components off or all at once. Beats trying to switch it all off when the strip is under the desk.

• 6 years later...
On 5/19/2023 at 10:14 AM, Draco1962 said:

I had issues with my prior build initially, but resolved with a more robust heat sink/fan combo and adding a few intake fans from the front.

Unfortunately, the thermal throttling was almost non-existent on that Intel mobo. 

Well, as luck would have it, I have started receiving warnings upon boot of my old Intel-based system that the CPU is not compatible with the motherboard - the one that it has been joined with for 5+ years! 

Also seeing more thermal warnings for RAM and CPU once it finally boots. I will have to remove the drives and port the data I wishe to retain via an external dock. 

It was a great build and I had hoped to pass it on to my niece, but not to be.

Edited by Draco1962
Clarified issues with my older Intel-based PC, NOT the new one!

Was thinking the same but not sure why this is a thing now after all these years. There hasn't been a BIOS update available/applied for the Intel DZ68BC in a number of years. I have revision 0037 installed. 0042 was the latest but is nowhere available from a trusted site and Intel wiped all support Winter 2019.  I did find that rev 0042 had reports of bugginess so...

I had to reboot several times just to get into BIOS as it would lock up and then post that same message.

In prior days (weeks and months):

- I replaced the CMOS battery after receiving various notifications on post that are typical for a failing/dead CMOS battery. Replaced and periodically getting the same error messages again with the same sporadically but frequently.

- Increased number of failed Windows 10 failed updates. Nothing my research could find that would point to any compatibility  issues definitively, but since the board was only certified by Intel through Windows 8.1, that can not be ruled out as a possibility.

- Frequent and increased high temp notifications for RAM, CPU, PCH, etc. 

I haven't given up on the possibility of finding a solution for it to keep it alive, but have to also weigh all factors up to now and time available, etc.

Maybe a microsoft thing or is it a post message?

Reset the BIOS to defaults obviously and latest BIOS install if you can find it.

Windows does also does BIOS updates with Windows updates but I've only seen it with non oem stuff like laptops and AlienWare PCs etc.

Definitely all post messages. I am going to give everything a thorough physical cleaning and throw a new Win 10 image on it.  This may be enough to stabilize it. 

The current drive has been in-place upgraded from Win 7 to 10 so it could be any number of things gone squirrelly along the way.

Yeah, sounds like a good candidate for loading optimized defaults and picking through.

I was going to suggest the CMOS battery, as that's gotten me more than once, especially that time I put the new one in upside down......DOH :angry:

I did an in-place reinstall of Win 10 on the old rig and it seems to have restored some stability on the Windows side.

I will replace the CMOS battery again as it's possible that I had an old battery. 

I didn't realize that the monitoring software was set to program defaults and not motherboard, PCH, and CPU defaults for expected temp ranges. This explains why I am getting alerts for temps within tolerance. So still something to learn.

• Draco1962 changed the title to [GAMING PC] Draco1962's "Old" PC build

Hopefully I didn't speak too soon or just maybe I discovered part of the issue and resolved it.

I started the PC and it immediately began power cycling without displaying a post error on the monitor.

I opened the case and the post port 18 LED would cycle 15 and 20. A little "Google search later pointed me to check the RAM. I pulled both sticks out and put them in the adjoining slots, fired it up and Voila! It launched to the BIOS then Windows 10 login frosty as ever!

Fingers crossed! My hope is to pass this PC on to my niece this week.

Well the PC has new life. The reimage apparently cleared some of the issues that had plagued me for a few years. Repositioning the RAM cleared the repeating on-off-on-off bug.

While dusting out the inside I noticed one of the fans pulling air in from the front was not turning. A spare power lead had been knocked into the blades stopping it. Secured the lead and overall temps dropped a few more degrees.

My niece took it home today and she's very happy.  She is the daughter of my sister that passed away a year ago this coming July, so this means a lot being able to give her something that she will hopefully be able to enjoy for a few years longer.