All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Calling all PinballX Gurus and SMEs! Documentation Challenge

Sorry for the delay. Here are the supported file formats:

Table Videos
f4v;.mp4
Backglass and DMD Videos:
.mp4;.m4v;.f4v;.flv
Gameplay and Tutorial Videos:
.mp4;.m4v
Startup Videos:
"avi", "mpg", "mpeg", "mp4", "m4v", "f4v", "flv"
Audio:
.mp3;.ogg;.wav
Wheels:
png
All Other Images,
Png,Jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Your last rev is looking really nice. I've been cutting my teeth on PBX for around a week now, and I learned some things from it that I will try out tomorrow! :) (e.g. I didn't know about the XML name/value pairs for hiding/showing backglasses and DMDs - hoping that will solve my disappearing FX2 BGs. I will be looking into running MAME on my cab soon also!))

One topic that's fresh in my mind since I've been working on it this evening is .AHK customization for Pinball FX2. It might be good to add header comments in your sample to point out that the file will almost certainly need to be edited and recompiled. I picked up on how that's hung together fairly quickly by crawling through some excellent threads, but I doubt it will be obvious to most.

Another section that might be useful is a list of common problems/user errors. I know I struggled a bit with focus when setting up BAM/FP. You do a good job pointing out the difference between virtual DMDs and real DMDs, but that was something else that tripped me up - I wasted a fair bit of time trying to get my pinDMD2 to do things that PBX currently doesn't support.

• 2 weeks later...

1.05 Added Section 4.7 (explains what 1.72 really does :) sorry Tom I had to read it 10x to figure out what it did), 5.5, 5.6, and updated 5.3/5.4.

Zeiram, I'll add a few comments in the next rev.

Z

SEE NEWEST VERSION IN THREAD STICKY

• Like 1

Your last rev is looking really nice. I've been cutting my teeth on PBX for around a week now, and I learned some things from it that I will try out tomorrow! :) (e.g. I didn't know about the XML name/value pairs for hiding/showing backglasses and DMDs - hoping that will solve my disappearing FX2 BGs. I will be looking into running MAME on my cab soon also!))

One topic that's fresh in my mind since I've been working on it this evening is .AHK customization for Pinball FX2. It might be good to add header comments in your sample to point out that the file will almost certainly need to be edited and recompiled. I picked up on how that's hung together fairly quickly by crawling through some excellent threads, but I doubt it will be obvious to most.

Another section that might be useful is a list of common problems/user errors. I know I struggled a bit with focus when setting up BAM/FP. You do a good job pointing out the difference between virtual DMDs and real DMDs, but that was something else that tripped me up - I wasted a fair bit of time trying to get my pinDMD2 to do things that PBX currently doesn't support.

Without the document becoming a small novel, I would recommend a link to the forums as it is easy for some issues to become deprecated as new versions are released of PinballX and the various emulators/apps. The forums really are the best place for troubleshooting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks scrivy for your submission! It looks really thorough and addresses an issue brought up by some of our other members.

Would you mind converting it to the template in this post? While it isn't necessary, our goal is to have the user submitted documents follow a consistent and familiar layout.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Updated to include new options in 1.85 (Real DMD support) and how to add multiple versions of VP.

Z

As always I try to double check for accuracy, so if you see anything misspelled, not sounding right, or out of place please let me know (no matter how small).

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Updated to fall inline with PinballX ver 1.89.

Edit: Uh-oh for some reason I can't upload anything larger then 6.84MB, the new file is 12MB. Tom and company any way to increase my capacity? I tried deleting some of the old versions in this thread, but it still gives me a max of 6.84MB.

Z

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this awesome Documentation. It has saved me from asking a ton of questions.

Which font is used for the white letters in the 1.2 layout section? I kinda like that and would like to switch to that in my setup :)