All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] pinballx crashes when set to autoload with windows

xyzzy

Hello all,

I am hoping someone has seen this and has a quick fix. If I launch pinball manually, it loads fine. If I use the option and set it to load with windows, I see the gray screen with pinballx and then it crashes to the desktop. If I immediately launch it after the crash it loads fine..... any ideas? I am wondering if it is trying to load before some other required driver or service it requires loads???????

Thanks,

Xyzzy

Ini follows:

log.txt

PinballX.ini

wondering what would cause this in the log:

22:25:11.8 8/31/2013: Loading Game Statistics and Scores
22:25:12.3 8/31/2013: Error. Exiting
22:25:12.3 8/31/2013: Error in the application.
22:25:12.3 8/31/2013: at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device..ctor(Int32 adapter, DeviceType deviceType, Control renderWindow, CreateFlags behaviorFlags, PresentParameters[] presentationParameters)
22:25:12.3 8/31/2013: at Direct2D.Direct2d.Device..ctor(Form FormHandle, Int32 Width, Int32 Height, Boolean Windowed, Boolean VSync, Boolean Display16Bit, Int32 DisplayNbr, Int32 RefreshRate)
22:25:12.3 8/31/2013: at PinballX.Main.a(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1)
22:25:12.3 8/31/2013: at PinballX.Main..ctor()

I know I like Gold Boolean.... and Boolean cubes make a nice broth when i am sick... but not sure what a Boolean A_0 is :)

One more thing I should mention that I noticed today... not sure if it is important. When pinballx is loaded manually the "PinballX" logo on the gray screen is in the middle of the screen. When i try to autoload it with Windows, the "pinballx" logo shows up at the bottom of the screen before it crashed (by bottom, i mean looking at the TV positoned in portrait mode closest to the front of the machine).

happening to me too.... any solution to this yet?

pinballx has stopped working, if you choose view problem details says

event name: APPCRASH

fault mod name ntdll.dll

Ideally, i am hoping the developer reads this and offers some input as to if this is a bug or just a one off situation (2 off if you have it too). But I am pretty sure i am getting the problem because something else hasn't loaded yet and when PinballX tries to load before (whatever it is), it fails. I have been able to get around this for now by editing the pinballx.bat file in the setup directory and adding a timeout for it to wait before loading the program. i added the following to the top of the file... this causes a 5 second delay then loads pinballx.....seems to work for me right now.

timeout /t 5

Ideally, i am hoping the developer reads this and offers some input as to if this is a bug or just a one off situation (2 off if you have it too). But I am pretty sure i am getting the problem because something else hasn't loaded yet and when PinballX tries to load before (whatever it is), it fails. I have been able to get around this for now by editing the pinballx.bat file in the setup directory and adding a timeout for it to wait before loading the program. i added the following to the top of the file... this causes a 5 second delay then loads pinballx.....seems to work for me right now.

timeout /t 5

thanks, yea i suspected that might be the case too. I was contemplating doing what you mentioned but ended disabling the pinballx.bat in msconfig and using the pinballx.exe in startup and downgraded to a few earlier versions... working right now so don't want to rock the boat. Very odd problem.

PinballX version 1.68 has been released. Please download and install and advise if this resolves any of the startup issues you have reported. Also, please provide copies of your log.txt and pinballx.ini files if you have a problem to report, in addition to your OS version. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone else still having this problem or is it just me ?

I'm running 1.88 but also had this problem with 1.85 too. There are no errors in the log, everything loads as it should but it crashes 50% of the time. I'll try out the startup delay program the next time I fire up my cab.

• 3 weeks later...