All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Announcing XDMD

I got everything building and targeting 4.0 framework. But when I run the demo I get

System.IO.FileLoadException was unhandled
HResult=-2146232799
Message=Mixed mode assembly is built against version 'v2.0.50727' of the runtime and cannot be loaded in the 4.0 runtime without additional configuration information.
Source=XDMD
StackTrace:
at XDMD.Device..ctor(Boolean UseVirtualDMD, Boolean VSync)
at XDMD_Demo.Form1.Main(String[] CmdArgs) in C:\xdmd\XDMD\XDMD Demo\Form1.vb:line 8
at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args)
at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
InnerException:
So somewhere, I still have a reference to .Net 2.0. So, I tried moving everything back to .Net 2.0, but that just leads to compile errors, which I am having problems fixing.
I long for the days of VBRUN100.DLL problems. I used to work at MS. I even worked on VS. I used to smile at people who thought that .Net was going to fix DLL hell, and the VBRUN problems. I'm not saying .Net is bad - but we just traded one problem for another equally egregious problem.
Recommendations?
I have VS 2010 and VS 2012 installed side by side. I have access to VS 2008, but I really don't want to install it too.

VICTORY IS MINE!!!!

After updating everything to .Net 4.0, I just needed to add a line to the App Config file

<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">

Now the compiled demo runs to the same point as the downloaded EXE runs. Then it crashes with

System.OverflowException was unhandled
HResult=-2146233066
Message=Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
Source=XDMD Demo
StackTrace:
at XDMD_Demo.Form1.Main(String[] CmdArgs) in C:\xdmd\XDMD\XDMD Demo\Form1.vb:line 122
at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args)
at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
InnerException:

At line 122 of Form1.vb

SurfVideo = New XDMD.Surface(128, CInt((128 / draw.VideoWidth) * (draw.VideoHeight)), draw)

This is because draw.VideoWidth and draw.VideoHeight are both zero.

The problem is with loading the mp4 file. It fails with VFW_E_CANNOT_CONNECT (0x80040217) in dsfutil.cpp on line 130.

I can play invaders.mp4 in my Windows 7 x64 preview and in Media Player; but when I try to load it in the demo it fails. If I replace the MP4 with another MP4, I get the same result. When I replace it with a WMV, everything works fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope someone can compile and develops this into something I can use for a dmd display for an original table in vp.

Hyperdmd causes major lag.

If I had the skills I would develops it.

This would be a really nice tool for table authors if you could interact with a vp table like the backglass servers for vp