All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

R-TYPE

• 8 months later...

After a long absence from R-Type I decided to come back and try and bump my score. I spent the better part of the weekend to familiarize myself with stages 3 to 5 and achieved a new score of 264,400.

R-Type really rewards knowledge of the stages and enemy patterns!

0003.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing R-Type constantly in the last 2 weeks and ever so slowly I'm getting better. My last run got me as far as level 7 with a new score of 308,800.

A quick thought on stage 6:

While in terms of level design R-Type is being hailed mainly for level 3 with its iconic battle against the giant mothership, I find stage 6 is where this game shines brightest. This level is different from almost everything I've seen in shmups so far, almost no bullets or enemies, only the maze with the big, nearly-indestructable ships which you have to dodge. A maze game within a shmup! Truly great stuff.

22.04.2016122213.png

• Like 1

Nice one!  I definitely need to come back and try this game again.  Thanks for posting a new score too.  Looks like a ghost town in here!  Don't forget to vote if you haven't yet for next months GOTM!

UPDATED OP, DB, RSS!!!!!

R type brings back so many memories.  I used to be stuck to this classic side scroller.  

The maze in level 6 sure is an original concept, throwing a curve at you for the final 2 stages of horror!

• 1 month later...

Finally I managed to complete the game! I’ve been playing this one for months, R-Type is now most played game on my cab. In my last run everything came together, even the pesky stage 5 boss didn’t kill me this time and I got a whopping 120K bonus for beating the stage 7 boss alone. I’m therefore proud to annouce my new score of 618,000 points.

Being one of probably only 3 gamers in the world without in-depth R-Type experience, I found it rewarding to dig into the game. To learn and constantly refine the pixel-perfect flight path and split-second timing needed to succeed really made me appreciate the accomplishment R-Type is. A truly great game!

10.06.2016104156.png

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Man SMario, you are right about RType.  It takes skill for sure.  I gave it a couple runs but got clipped on the fifth board.  Be back later.

MO.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

R-Type Syndrome [AR-type-SIN-drohm]

Noun

1. a common video game construct characterized by the gradual build-up of ass-kicking weaponry and power-ups, accompanied by a short-lived euphoric sense of omnipotence on the part of the player, followed immediately by a phase of existential dread, when a stray enemy bullet ends the party and the player is left with a pea-shooter of a weapon amidst an insurmountable onslaught, dying every few seconds until all reserve lives have been exhausted and the game ends.  Exemplified in Irem's R-Type, and popular in retro shoot-em-games.

2. an instance of a video game player being forced to retread the same stretch of a level over and over again when they lose a life, rather than allowing the player to proceed from the spot where their previous life was lost, often resulting in a rapid succession of deaths

Example sentence: "Ah man, I made it all the way to the last level without losing a life and was about to steal the world record, but then the game's R-Type Syndrome kicked in and I lost all 5 of my lives over the course of the next 30 seconds!"

Synonyms: oppression algorithm, mockery of gaming justice, Ghosts N Goblins Syndrome

Antonyms: coddling, fairness, nurturing of sanity

^^ Ok, I made all that up.  But it really belongs in the dictionary. 

y3m7eGIoOjh4IwT9C9WrOsjCO9bV7zBDjvDnhAPU

• Like 3

I hear ya.  Over at RetroAchievments.org, last weeks GOTW was "Rendering Ranger R2" (SNES).  It does the exact same thing.  And me, having never owned an SNES, and never played this game, I suck.  I get so far, being super beefy with maxed out guns and shields, then I die by falling down a hole or something, and then restart my next guy at the same spot (nice in this case) but with no weapons and the enemies around me are killer tough!  I like that terminology though.. "R-Type Syndrome" lol

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 1