All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Joust

Yep you got the right idea, hit them on the head. The trick is to collect the eggs as fast as possible. I've found that if you can, collecting the egg as soon as it comes out gives you more points than waiting for it to land. If you wait to long, the eggs will hatch into a new fighter. Back in my teen years, I could get up to round 5 or 6, but now I'm lucky if I get to 3. There's a bonus round in there (I think round 4) where you just have to collect eggs. After about the 3rd round the only thing they do to increase difficulty is increase the number of fighters and their speed. If you get into the rhythm, it's not that hard a game to play. It is difficult for me though because I feel like the side to side controls are faster than in the other versions I've played (Atari 800 and NES).

Good score though, definitely worthy of placing in the boards!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Just hit them on their head and you'll be ok?

Yep you got the right idea, hit them on the head.

Your ostrich just has to be higher when colliding with the enemy :)

The trick is to collect the eggs as fast as possible. I've found that if you can, collecting the egg as soon as it comes out gives you more points than waiting for it to land. If you wait to long, the eggs will hatch into a new fighter. Back in my teen years, I could get up to round 5 or 6, but now I'm lucky if I get to 3. There's a bonus round in there (I think round 4) where you just have to collect eggs.

Thank you for the gameplay tips Han.....and you're right about bonus round 4.

Updated Leaderboard

I agree that picking up the eggs quickly is important.

However, good practice is to NOT pick up the eggs on the first level (or two). Let them hatch and hover over after they hatch as the rider is getting on. It's an easy kill - as long as there are no other jousters nearby to endanger you. Also, if you are able to catch the egg as part of the kill, you get a bonus. I think you can easily double or triple your first wave score by doing these two things. After all, you may as well start with 8000 points on the first level, instead of 3000.

Also, try to start a wave from the highest level near a teleporter. As long as you're standing near it, the jousters won't come out there. Once all jouster have appeared for the wave, you can drop down to the middle section to pick them off (until one of them sneaks up to the top), or you can hang out and guard the two openings and let them come to you. I think it's better to take the fight to the enemy. Besides, if you wait too long, the pterodactyl will come for you.

Once you get pretty good at jousting from the top, practice starting from the bottom level. There will be times where you have to be proficient down there. If you die up top, chances are you'll respawn down below - and there will be a gauntlet of jousters preventing you from getting back to the top. So you're better off jousting from the bottom level. Just make sure you hang out under a rock ledge, or they just drop down on you.

I don't know if these observations are obvious or not. Let me know if this helps.

BTW, I found this on youtube. THIS is why the Twin Galaxy rules limit the pterodactyl kills. FYI, I did not know about this trick until now. I don't know how easy it is to induce. You have to be in the condition, where there is only one enemy jouster left, AND he has to be in this perpetual "lava monster grasp". Also, once the enemy jouster gets away from the lava monster, or you get knocked off the ledge, you are pretty much guaranteed to die - with MANY pterodactyls flying around.

I won't be trying this technique. I think it's cheating.

New personal best, still in 5th place though!

post-569-0-65963800-1381450485_thumb.png

Score: 32,550

Initials: HAN

The score before this one I messed up the first initial, so I couldn't spell out HAN and instead just went with _AA. Since that wasn't my "proper" initials I re-played it again and got a much better score anyway!

Updated OP, DB, RSS!

• 3 weeks later...

And our winner for October's GOTM is...

stephen - 148,850 (link)

His score was unbeatable, even unapproachable, considering the next highest score was about 60k shy! Way to go stephen, you definately earned your badge of honor for this one. GC should be in touch shortly with your prize. :)

@ Stephen: congratulations winning your second Game of the Month !! Man, when you post a hi-score it's very hard to beat :blink: .....But I like a challenge ^_^ Keep up the good work !!

With your unapproachable score you really deserved to win this :) I'll keep on playing this hi-score game and with any luck I hope to maybe get a 100K+ score one day ;)

Because you're a Game of the Month winner you've been awarded a signature banner :) See this thread and I've also sent you a PM.

...and remember > everybody can still take advantage of playing this game and posting highscores...

Happy hi-scoring everyone !

GC

Woohoo! It's good to be the king. :) Of course, with Popeye as November's GOTM, there is going to be a new King next month (or Queen, if there are any ladies in this competition).

BTW, I am proud of my new sig. Thanks for putting this together and making it fun.

BTW, I am proud of my new sig. Thanks for putting this together and making it fun.

Thanks, I enjoy making these sigs. In the meantime I've improved it a little. Below is the new sig (see PM also): I've added a little white space between both sigs and both are perfectly alligned now :)

Sep_Oct2013_Stephen.jpg

It's also one image now >> adds room for more sigs in the future ;)

Feel free to use this updated banner as your sig !!

• 2 months later...

Man do i SUCK at this lol I wish i had read Stephen's tips before i loaded this! Oh well at least i know next time i try. Like Han i only played the the Atari 2600 version as a kid and it does seem a lot faster! Still enjoyed it though :)

I will be back!

It's a pretty hard and weird game :blink: But I do enjoy it too playing Joust :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

Man do i SUCK at this lol I wish i had read Stephen's tips before i loaded this! Oh well at least i know next time i try. Like Han i only played the the Atari 2600 version as a kid and it does seem a lot faster! Still enjoyed it though :)

I will be back!

attachicon.gifjoust.01.jpg

Yeah give me old school graphics and speed and I'll totally rule this game!

Killed 0 Pterodactyls (You can do that?)

Beat my High Score! Joust is so hard: 59,850

By the way, every time I try to post an image (at least from my dropbox), it shows up as a broken link. I was a part of a forum that used IPBoard in the past and I don't think I ever had that issue.

Edit: Done

post-25878-0-23906600-1390755161_thumb.p

I suggest you that either upload the picture as attachment (on the "more reply options if you're using the fast reply box under the thread) or use a service that allows hotlinking, like photobucket :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvxy9fbdtiv3phu/0000.png

By the way, every time I try to post an image (at least from my dropbox), it shows up as a broken link. I was a part of a forum that used IPBoard in the past and I don't think I ever had that issue.

• Like 1

It's a pretty tough game. A good score though !!

You've beaten my hi-score and are the new #4 at the Joust hi-score table ;)

Thank you for your enthusiasm playing our hi-score games. Active member participation is what's making this competition fun...so thanks B)

You're our new # 7 at the Hi-Score Leaderboard !!

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

It's a pretty tough game. A good score though !!

You've beaten my hi-score and are the new #4 at the Joust hi-score table ;)

Thank you for your enthusiasm playing our hi-score games. Active member participation is what's making this competition fun...so thanks B)

You're our new # 7 at the Hi-Score Leaderboard !!

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

Good to hear. My girlfriend is currently in Cuba, so I've had a lot of time to myself this weekend. Good opportunity to get my foot in the highscore door.

I was worried ya'll'd think I was shaking things up too much.